Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tapped my radar detector’s power off the vanity light on the visor. When the door is opened, the radar detector turns on. Later, I added a Bluetooth Parrot (A hands free cell phone doo-dah) I had in the Durango. I used Velcro to mount it on the sunroof trim, and ‘’snuck’’ the wiring across the ceiling (inside) to the vanity light. Another little project done.

I did this in the shop. I’m doing other things and I started hearing a chirping sound from the Commander. The Parrot and radar detector was turning on and off rapidly. The problem? The vanity light circuit is really a computer circuit that is in ‘’sleep mode’’ as it ‘’looks’’ for bulb current to turn the interior lights back on. In other words, after the power times out, the computer looks to see if a vanity light lid was opened, and the dome lights all re-power too. That’s so if you’re sitting in the rig and never got out or opened a door, and the lights timed out on you, you can still open the vanity lid and check your hair. :D Of course, the current draw of my two items screwed that all to Hades.

So… down the A pillar I had to go with a wire to the fuse box to tap into an ignition source. Problem solved. Hopefully, this will save someone else grief should they decide the vanity light power is handy to use… IT ISN’T. :mofo:

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Cool, another great tech tip, thanks.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts