Jeep Commander Forum banner
181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
The diesel swap is not as easy as it would seem. Requires a different fuel setup. On a Dodge pickup, you just get the gas tank and fuel lines from a diesel truck. The Cummins fully dressed is also 3 times heavier than the hemi, so even aftermarket springs would sag. Aside from the added weight, the frame may not be able to handle the torque. I have seen frame rails split in half after a cummins conversion.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
The diesel swap is not as easy as it would seem. Requires a different fuel setup. On a Dodge pickup, you just get the gas tank and fuel lines from a diesel truck. The Cummins fully dressed is also 3 times heavier than the hemi, so even aftermarket springs would sag. Aside from the added weight, the frame may not be able to handle the torque. I have seen frame rails split in half after a cummins conversion.
So another words, custom springs(or front suspension), fuel system, and frame reinforcement. All good info and things i hadn't thought of yet, but still doesn't sound too terrible to me. I mean I'll already have to contract out a custom bed, and frame extension, tandem military axle Dana 60's, etc. among many other custom items anyway.

But I'm trying to keep the diesel thing not the priority of the thread, only because it's a ways off. I need my new job first. Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
So i got my wheels today... At the exact time that all the tire shops closed. Busy tomorrow, all shops closed on Sunday, and I'm stuck at work for 72hr Monday-Wednesday. I'm so mad, lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just spent a good chunk of my work day reading through this thread. What an epic undertaking! Stoked it all worked out for you. I'll be rooting for you when you start that 6x6 Diesel!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I got my wheels on, looks a little more ghetto than I had hoped, but will be solved with a full lowering kit I found for sale. Once I take off the 2" lift, install the new shocks and struts, and SRT8 lowering springs, it'll be a total of 5" drop from where it currently sits. Won't be able to afford the rotors and pads for my brembo swap at the end of the month though, and that's all I needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
It definitely does need to be dropped to pull off those wheels, and the black definitely highlights how badly faded your trim pieces are. That's a good looking set though.

Reactions: luckyse7ens

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I got my wheels on, looks a little more ghetto than I had hoped, but will be solved with a full lowering kit I found for sale. Once I take off the 2" lift, install the new shocks and struts, and SRT8 lowering springs, it'll be a total of 5" drop from where it currently sits. Won't be able to afford the rotors and pads for my brembo swap at the end of the month though, and that's all I needed.
:surprise:

It sure does look like of ghetto fabulous with that suspension setup! Should be pretty sweet with the drop though.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Everyone seems to forget, it's a 2WD commander though. I'm working with what I've got and i love to be different.

Besides, i haven't spoken much about it, but I've been pretty set and decided on my next project vehicle for the last year when this one's done, and guess what... It's another commander, not only that, but it'll be a commander+ (+2 wheels)

And a diesel. I REALLY want a 6.7 Cummins, but i May settle for the 5.9
It'll be the real deal, lifted at least 6", full 6WD, 3-4 electronic lockers, custom truck bed, stacks, custom steal bumpers with winch, roof rack, oodles and kaboodles of off-road lighting...
I'm giddy all over again just thinking about it.
I might be a little obsessed with commanders if you couldn't tell, and besides that, i know SO MUCH ABOUT THEM, after this first swap, and i really don't think the diesel swap will be hard at all.
A 6.7 or 5.9?! Thats gonna be a fun project. The nice thing about the 5.9 is how dead simple it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow! Just became a member of this forum and all i can say is holy **** this is amazing. almost want to do it myself. Whats the Current status of the Jeep?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Wow! Just became a member of this forum and all i can say is holy **** this is amazing. almost want to do it myself. Whats the Current status of the Jeep?
It's lowered on SRT8 stock Bilsteins and Eibach lowering springs with my new custom fabricated grill. That's about it. Thanks for the interest!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
All in all how much was the total cost of the hemi swap not including the lowering springs and such just the swap

181 - 193 of 193 Posts