·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
Sounds really good SH.

Congrats.

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
Thank you. It's got such a low tone, i hope it stays that way when i get the exhaust fully done.
I expect it will sound similar - same tone, but maybe not quite as loud.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds great!

Congratulations - it's running!! :thumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I dropped by the shop again and thought I'd share what we're trying to solve before it's ready to go.

There's too much oil in the engine. I stupidly bought a 09 - 17 challenger dipstick for a 06 - 10 Commander/GC tube. A new dipstick is on the way, however I'll drive out with measured oil before it gets here.

We can't find the plug on the wiring harness that's connects to the alternator. We have a connector that fits off of the old harness that will be adapted, but they're going to find the wires that are supposed to go to the alternator from straight out the ECU and wire it in from there. They were working on that when I showed up.

There's a fuel leak from the injectors on the passenger side, the rail when bolted down doesn't mount low enough to have a good enough seal on the top and bottom sides of the injectors. So they have to take the rail off one more time, grind down the rail mount on the intake manifold a few thousandths of an inch and remount it.

Then we should be good to start it, break it in, and shop manager is gonna do a burnout in the parking lot for me so i can get a video for you guys. Your welcome. Lol.

Our expectation is that I'll have my SRT8 Commander by the end of the week. I'll be getting it detailed soon, and after I've got it all cleaned up, new badges installed, and my grille finished up and mounted, I'll get a good gallery up for you guys. Thank you all for your support. Just a quick question because I'm curious, who saw this post for the first time a year ago and thought it was a hoax, or wasn't gonna get done? :p

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Well guys, i have my SRT8 Jeep Commander. It runs, it drives, it's road legal and I'm happy! I have no check engine lights, however 9 times out of ten my ABS light and ESP light is lit, but who needs that?! When i showed up we all tried doing a burnout in the parking lot, but we couldn't. I chocked it up to this beast being to heavy to lose rear traction but then I remembered we never turned off ESP when i was driving home so I'll try again when i get a good chance. There are certainly some quirks. My whole chassis vibrates unless I'm turning right and I'm pretty sure it's due to the X-pipe in the exhaust resting up against a heatshield next to the transmission, I'll be removing that soon. The strut bar doesn't fit over the intake manifold, I'll have to see if an SRT8 GC one will work. And then there's the frankenstein-ness of the whole thing. I'm using a modified 4.7 PS pump Jerry rigged with the mounted reservoir which looks funky I'll need to swap out later, my fuel rail crossover line came off when i left yesterday and i had to hose clamp it to work. I ran out of budget and traded my beater in with the payment (they did $6k worth of work and charged me $2k and a hunk o' junk i didn't want) so i had to have them cheaply make my old down stream single exhaust work with the new midpipes so i could drive on my military base without issues. Currently one of the ends of the X-pipe is blanked off, and the other end is attached to my old muffler. But all in all, this thing PULLS! I took a video of me going from 20 to 80 in just a couple seconds on a highway onramp I'll get to you guys soon, and next weekend I'm trying to hang with my friend who helped me piece this together for the last time and we'll try and get some good video. On the highway i got up to 16mpg which isn't bad! But the city was another story. I averaged between 6 and 8! It was awful! Lol. But uh, yea. The project continues! I may make a new thread for finishing touch type stuff. Idk yet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Love it - making a dream a reality and having a Jeep that is uniquely yours.

Well Done! :thumbsup:

Bob

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
Congrats SH.

Looking forward to your next video.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Yea so my tuner really came through. I really wasn't sure about that ya know? Long before it ever ran, i sent the ECU out to get tuned for $350, having no idea if it was gonna work. He could of just sent it right back to me without doing a thing and i never would've known. But it works. I also think he messed with shift settings. My transmission has NEVER shift this quick, i feel like i got a transgo shift kit without buying and installing a transgo shift kit, lol. I was REALLY surprised by the performance of the transmission, it just feels like it's instant. I want to get a 0-60 video taken as well as some flyby's. The shop before turning it over to me took it to 120 without plates on it lol, i don't have the balls for that on a busy local road like they did. But I'll get more for you guys soon!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yea so my tuner really came through. I really wasn't sure about that ya know? Long before it ever ran, i sent the ECU out to get tuned for $350, having no idea if it was gonna work. He could of just sent it right back to me without doing a thing and i never would've known. But it works. I also think he messed with shift settings. My transmission has NEVER shift this quick, i feel like i got a transgo shift kit without buying and installing a transgo shift kit, lol. I was REALLY surprised by the performance of the transmission, it just feels like it's instant. I want to get a 0-60 video taken as well as some flyby's. The shop before turning it over to me took it to 120 without plates on it lol, i don't have the balls for that on a busy local road like they did. But I'll get more for you guys soon!

This was an epic read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
My man! Awesome job making this dream a reality. Now. You've had your fun, ha! Serious question. What would you take, cash money, for this XK? PM me if you have any interest in selling this truck.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Well being that i just completed it, and i never planned on ridding of it, like ever, i don't think i could part with it for any less than 50-60k. I'm aware it's not worth that much, except that it's worth that much to me.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
So I've got a new full 3" exhaust installed, no more janky single exit from the old system. I just ended up going with 2 super 10s. I might change it down the road but for now I like it. I've got a nasty power steering leak I can't seem to find, I'm installing new fuel fittings tomorrow to completely stop my fuel leak, and I think my thermostat is going out already, hopefully I'll be replacing that tomorrow. I'm including a pic of my old janky setup and a vid of the new exhaust I forgot to take a pic of. Also installed one of my SRT8 badges

https://youtu.be/v0EqISB_uPQ

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting...

I have an '08 Limited Hemi since new.

Had work done including cooling system that ultimately failed and I think I warped the heads.
I've recently put about $10K into it including service, parts, aftermarket, etc.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Interesting...

I have an '08 Limited Hemi since new.

Had work done including cooling system that ultimately failed and I think I warped the heads.
I've recently put about $10K into it including service, parts, aftermarket, etc.
10k in mods? Please tell me more! I'm always down for more Commander stuffs.

This is an awesome build!

How much did the whole project end up costing, if you don't mind?
From ripout to driving on the road about $15k

Umm, side note, did my thread become a sticky?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well apparently I haven't been on the forum since you started this...... but just wanted to say your build is awesome! A few years back there was much more innovation on the commander forums and I miss it. This is great!

141 - 160 of 193 Posts