Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I read JJSebation's thread and you guys had some great info.

We are inheriting our in-laws 16' camper. I don't know brand off the top of my head, it's a twin axle trailer, hard roof, but each end pops down like a tent trailer.

It's about 4 years old, and in really good condition.

I looked at the plate on the tongue with the weights. GVW of the trailer is right about 4200 if I'm reading in the right spot.

We have the 4.7L engine and I believe 3.73 ratio gearing.

Supposed to be rated at 6k+ towing, I like to stay under my tow weights when I pull with my truck.

SO here are the questions:

Our XK has no hitch.

We do have a tow/haul button in dash.

Does this mean we have the upgraded cooling and alt or whatever it may be that comes with the towing package?

I'm a big DIY. I've done alot of things but never installed a hitch.

I'd like to get a proper receiver hitch and git' er' done.

Any thoughts or comments one way or the other?

Same thing for a controller. I've wired three in so far in my trucks, but this rig is new to me.

Is there such a thing as a factory plug in for a brake light/controller like on my Fords?

For the weight of that trailer, should I have a weight distributing hitch?

I'm not used to using one on my F350.

Thanks for any insight or advise.

Blair

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
If it didn't come from the factory with a hitch (tow package) it doesn't have the heavy duty cooling for towing.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Did you purchase your XK new? the window sticker should answer your question but my best guess would be that you do not have any of the added features. My interest is peaked since you have the button which I would think should not be there. I look forward to hearing from others who have the button but no hitch.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
The hitch and cooling are all part of the "Tow Package". No hitch, no cooling.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
blthomas said:
Our XK has no hitch.

We do have a tow/haul button in dash.

Does this mean we have the upgraded cooling and alt or whatever it may be that comes with the towing package?

Blair
You can use your VIN to check and see exactly what options are on your Jeep. I would tend to think that they wouldn't even put the button in there if you didn't get the towing package, but I could be wrong. Also, if your Jeep is pre-owned, who knows what the previous owner did (especially if he's a member of THIS forum! Heh...)

Good luck. I know there are people here who can answer your other questions. I'm just a n00b to this modding stuff as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jeep5253 said:
If it didn't come from the factory with a hitch (tow package) it doesn't have the heavy duty cooling for towing.
Right on.

a49erFootballFan said:
Did you purchase your XK new? the window sticker should answer your question but my best guess would be that you do not have any of the added features. My interest is peaked since you have the button which I would think should not be there. I look forward to hearing from others who have the button but no hitch.
Negative Ghostrider. Bought it used couple months ago.

My thinking as well, although my wife just asked me if I had checked to see did it have a hitch that has been removed.........I didn't think of that.

jeep5253 said:
Thanks for the link. Is OEM any better than a Reese or something of that nature?

Morgan said:
You can use your VIN to check and see exactly what options are on your Jeep. I would tend to think that they wouldn't even put the button in there if you didn't get the towing package, but I could be wrong. Also, if your Jeep is pre-owned, who knows what the previous owner did (especially if he's a member of THIS forum! Heh...)

Good luck. I know there are people here who can answer your other questions. I'm just a n00b to this modding stuff as well.
I'm going to get the VIN when I get home and look it up.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
blthomas said:
Thanks for the link. Is OEM any better than a Reese or something of that nature?
If you get an aftermarket hitch you will have to mount it under the bumper. In other words you will not have to cut the bumper and put the bezel in. However, you will lose quite a bit of departure angle. That is why the OEM is mounted in the bumper. Just depends on what you want.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
From the Jeep website:

Push the TOW / HAUL button next to the shifter for improved vehicle performance and fuel economy while minimizing engine noise during trailer towing or heavy-load hauling. The TOW / HAUL mode inhibits fourth gear and allows upshifts to third gear during higher speed/lighter loads.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I'm not sure why you would have the Tow/Haul button with no tow package, but, I'm going to guess that you could. The Tow/Haul button alters the transmission settings only. With the Hemi, it also appears to disable the MDS system. Since it is transmission related, it is possible that it would be a "standard feature" since it is Tow / Haul and as such would be useful for hauling a heavy internal load.

I would think, even if the previous owner removed the hitch (I couldn't imagine why), he wouldn't have removed the wiring harness...you should see remains of it around the spare tire if he just cut the ends off.

My guess is you don't have the Tow Package which means that you wouldn't have the wiring harness, relays, cooler or upped alternator. Without the tow package, you'll also not have the relays or the trailer wiring harness installed. All could be done by a DIY, but, I believe you would still need to have the dealer let the vehicle know you have the tow package with the StarScan tool. If the Commander's brain doesn't know you've installed the relays and the wiring harness, it won't know to pass the charging circuit and brake light pulses down the trailer wiring harness to the trailer connector...

If you get the Tow Package installed by the dealer or if you do it yourself, they do make an additional harness that you can add that would put a brake controller plug under the dash like you mentioned - I had the tow package, but, for some reason Jeep doesn't consider the brake controller wiring a part of the trailer wiring harness...the wires are there and I easily added it, but, I was a bit annoyed that it wasn't part of the overall trailer wiring harness; seemed silly to me.

I tow a 23' FunFinder at around 6300 lbs ready to roll. The Jeep has two concerns the 350 doesn't...shorter wheelbase and the full time 4 wheel drive. On both accounts, you'll want to keep the weight transferred between the axles for safety and longevity of the transfer cases....you'll want a good Weight Distribution hitch (Reese Dual Cam is good, I use Equal-i-zer) and good sway control. You'll also have to watch your trailer's tongue angle. You'll want to keep it level or slight down angle...that much weight you don't want lifting the rear end up in a panic stop should you have a problem with the trailer brakes.

My setup: 10K Lb. Equalizer Hitch, Tekonsha P3 Controller, 3/4" down angle on trailer tongue.

Can only tell it is back there when starting off the line or steep hills (Tow / Haul helps there).:)

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
If the bumper's got the bezel and round 6-pin connector installed, then you have the towing package and someone's removed the hitch.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
sorry, you are wrong. mine does not have the hitch on it. but it does have the cooling. it even says so in my build sheet. just FYI.;)

i also have the tow/haul switch, it works, i have tested it.

jeep5253 said:
The hitch and cooling are all part of the "Tow Package". No hitch, no cooling.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
4.7commander said:
sorry, you are wrong. mine does not have the hitch on it. but it does have the cooling. it even says so in my build sheet. just FYI.;)

This is from the Jeep website. It is for the 2008 model but was the same for the '06 and '07 except for the Trailer Sway Damping.

LOAD AND TOWING GROUPS
Trailer Tow Group IV $280
Package includes >>
  • Trailer Sway Damping
  • Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
  • 7- and 4 Pin-Wiring Harness
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch

·
Registered
216 Posts
4.7commander said:

Beat me to it. I have the Customer Preferred Package 28T. This includes the 3.73 Axle ratio and Heavy Duty Engine Cooling (looking at my window sticker as I type this). Some tow packages came without the hitch and harness. I have no idea why a package would come without it, but all you have to do is have any competent shop (even U-Haul does it) to install the hitch and harness. I would prefer to have the OEM look, but you can get a hidden hitch to work fine. To see if you have the cooling package just pop your hood. You should see (from back to front) your radiator, your A/C condenser and then a transmission (maybe oil, I haven't looked close) cooler (about 2 feet long and 10" high). As for the towing, I'll leave that to others. I will put a hitch on for my boat, but for now I tow with my Sequoia. HTH.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replys.

I haven't looked at anything. Such a busy weekend, alot of time spent in the XK, but nothing towing related or any effort made to find out what I have.

I feel pretty confident I could do it, however I may just have a RV sales place do it for me.

Again, thanks!!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
blthomas said:
Thanks for all the replys.

I haven't looked at anything. Such a busy weekend, alot of time spent in the XK, but nothing towing related or any effort made to find out what I have.

I feel pretty confident I could do it, however I may just have a RV sales place do it for me.

Again, thanks!!
Let's just do a wrenching party. I installed my hitch and it's not hard at all. I bought my hitch from the dealer. Let me know.

·
Registered
451 Posts
To throw in my 2 cents. I think that from what is said, your Jeep will pull your trailer fine. Mine does.
You sound like the type that is smart enough to install everything properly and tow responsibly.
You just need a few things:
1. A good receiver on your XK. I would go with either the OEM hitch/receiver or an aftermarket one. The bonus of the aftermarket one is that they hang below the bumper and help the situation that the hitch on the XK is typically too high.
2. A weight distributing hitch. I went with the Reese Strait-line. It has integrated sway control and is absolutely awesome. Unfortunately it is expensive and I didn't find any used ones out there. You probably don’t need anything that intense though. GTR says he pulls his trailer that weighs the same as yours with his 4.7 without a weight distributing hitch.
3. Wiring for the lights, brakes, etc. I had the tow package so the connector was ready to go. It looks like paying the dealer to do it might be the way to go... see this http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3838
4. A good brake controller. I dropped over $100 on the Tekonsha Prodigy and it is great. You don't need any other harnesses, just a few connectors, some wire, and what is in the box. You will find the wiring for it on this thread... http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4569 Here is the Mopar instructions but I just spliced into the wires the Mopar harness was connecting to. http://starparts.chrysler.com/info/default/k6860090.pdf

1 - 17 of 17 Posts