Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It must be in the air (or a liberal conspiracy to eliminate SUV's from the face of the earth)! I was on my way to pick up my son at school and I was rear ended by a Ford F350! My bumper and hitch took a nice hit but the Ford received the worst of it! Everyone is OK and now I have to deal with the insurance companies...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Glad everyone's okay.

Looks like the Ford lived up to its acronym:
Folded Over, Really Dented.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Glad you are okay, It is good too see that the Commanders are coming out the winners in these crashes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Glad to hear everybody is okay!

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Apparently I'm the only one who can't see the pics?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Glad your ok and the XK doesn't look too banged up. With all the accident threads recently I don't think I am going to take the XK anywhere for a while.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Glad your ok and the XK doesn't look too banged up. With all the accident threads recently I don't think I am going to take the XK anywhere for a while.
I'm with you buddy!
I think I'll cruize my Blazer for a bit till the air clears.
Seems our Commanders have a target that we can't see.

Glad you are OK Pa$$WorD (did I get that right?) Guess not LOL, sorry

Rob

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey...at least you can still Drive it. I'm sure you saw my pics with the busted axle and all.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am empathising with you buddy! Glad you are alright! Smart move on leaving the vehicles there in place! I learned the hard way that if you move the other person can spin the story on you. I don't clear outta the way anymore. I dont care if I was blocking a whole interstate

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the well wishes guys! I do not know what whiplash feels like but I am sore today. The bummer about this situation is a planned trip with the newly acquired pop-up camper will have to go on hold know while the condition of the hitch is evaluated. Overall there was not much cosmetic damage but what do you guys think I should be on the lookout for structure wise? I have never been on the receiving end of an accident like this one.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
If it moved the hitch then the rear cross member that the hitch attaches to could be compromised. As long as the tailgate opens properly there is not much structure behind the rear bumper other than the part that the hitch attaches to so I think that would be the main concern based on the pictures.

·
Registered
577 Posts
[email protected],

Sorry to hear about your wreck... it's not fun. The same thing, same situation happened to me 2 months ago with an '85 Ford F100.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8411&highlight=rear

Hopefully, he hit you square on, which means the sides of the XK and the tail lights are safe, with no damage.

I ended up having the rear tailgate, the rear bumper replaced and that was pretty much it. The XK was really strong, the hitch took the majority of the hit, with no damage to it. Total was right at $3000 to repair, paint and finish.

Took a week total to get the Jeep back and then 1 trip back to the collision place to have a pimple buffed out of the paint... Caliber Collision are awesome for what it's worth.

Good luck with the repairs, and I am glad that you are ok.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Dang buddy! Glad you're alright.

I got hit like that in my Tahoe back in 2002, wife got TMJ http://www.tmj.org/. She went to the emergency room about an hour after the accident and when I woke up the next day my rotators were sore. Took over 2 years before the healed correctly.

Give me a call if you want to know who my Dr. for the accident was. He was great and dealt with the insurance company so I didn't have too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Personally, I think if you can get under there and yank around on the hitch structure you are fine to tow a lightweight pop up camper. I know I would tow it after a brief look at things................. Don't let this accident screw up your trip!!!!

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Yeah Hemi ours were a little bit on the undriveable side. Glad your okay pass. This is getting ridiculous.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts