Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's currently July in Atlanta and have noticed, over the last week or two, that I smell antifreeze coming from my 2006 Commander 4.7 after driving it.

As of this writing, the car has 89,000 miles and is approximately 6 years old.

I was able to take a look at it today -- I took a video in the spirit of both gaining insight and sharing this with other owners who may be encountering the same problem.

URL to Video -- http://youtu.be/8XOuMBI5Hy8

I noticed some moisture around where the upper radiator hose meets the engine block. It also looks like the spray pattern in concentrated in that area as well -- I do not see any sort of residue elsewhere in the engine, with the exception of some at the lip of the overflow tank.

I'm thinking it may just need a new upper radiator hose, but took the video to help diagnose.

Also, when reviewing the owners manual -- it's recommended that you replace the coolant at 6 years or 102,000 so, based on the age of my car, I am due for that.

As far as next steps, I will replace the upper and lower radiator hoses (and, of course, the antifreeze). I will do some research as well, but if anyone can share what other coolant hoses that they have replaced around this time -- that would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
It looks like the coolant has been changed with the incorrect type. The Commander requires HOAT coolant and is only available through your dealership or you can buy Zerex G-05 at Napa. OE coolant is pink in color while the Zerex coolant is more of a light yellow tone.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/42

Regarding the splatter, it could possibly come from the water pump. There are some members on this forum with the 3.7L and 4.7L engines that had a leaky water pump gasket.

If I am not mistaken, those with a failing water pump gasket really never had that kind of spray.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the 2006 4.7 Commander too with 87,XXX miles on it. Guess what? I just noticed the SAME EXACT ISSUE!!!!

Went out to walk the dog this morning, noticed two small wet spots under the passenger side on the concrete (about the size of a pancake). Couldnt tell what they were at first glance, stuck my head under the vehicle and notices drippage in one spot. Looked kind of orange-ish... Popped the hood and orange splatter everywhere just like in your video. Nothing left in the coolant reservoir at all.

I just purchased this Jeep a little over a month ago and the reservoir was full at that time.

Anyways, I went to the dealership and got the proper mopar coolant and filled it back up. Drove around a little bit and so far no leakage. Just waiting to see if I can identify the problem myself before I do anything else.

Im no mechanic, but Im assuming its a hose, maybe the water pump... Not really sure.

If you figure it out or anyone else knows what the problem is, PLEASE! Fill me in. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like the coolant has been changed with the incorrect type. The Commander requires HOAT coolant and is only available through your dealership or you can buy Zerex G-05 at Napa. OE coolant is pink in color while the Zerex coolant is more of a light yellow tone.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/42

Regarding the splatter, it could possibly come from the water pump. There are some members on this forum with the 3.7L and 4.7L engines that had a leaky water pump gasket.

If I am not mistaken, those with a failing water pump gasket really never had that kind of spray.

Good luck.

Thank you for the feedback. I bought the car at 75K, so didn't think that the incorrect coolant may have been put in there at one point -- but, of course, that is a reasonable assumption.

Good point about the water pump as well. From what I can tell, it looks like that upper radiator hose is weeping -- so have bought a replacement hose and (correct) coolant. I'll let you know how I fare -- and will keep my eye on the waterpump as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have the 2006 4.7 Commander too with 87,XXX miles on it. Guess what? I just noticed the SAME EXACT ISSUE!!!!

Went out to walk the dog this morning, noticed two small wet spots under the passenger side on the concrete (about the size of a pancake). Couldnt tell what they were at first glance, stuck my head under the vehicle and notices drippage in one spot. Looked kind of orange-ish... Popped the hood and orange splatter everywhere just like in your video. Nothing left in the coolant reservoir at all.

I just purchased this Jeep a little over a month ago and the reservoir was full at that time.

Anyways, I went to the dealership and got the proper mopar coolant and filled it back up. Drove around a little bit and so far no leakage. Just waiting to see if I can identify the problem myself before I do anything else.

Im no mechanic, but Im assuming its a hose, maybe the water pump... Not really sure.

If you figure it out or anyone else knows what the problem is, PLEASE! Fill me in. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for sharing. I suppose the good thing about mass production (combined with the internet) is that we all have the exact same cars, so the exact same problems are likely to occur ;).....

In my case, I just noticed the smell of antifreeze and -- as I referenced in the video -- just saw that that it was being sprayed all over the top of the engine. I haven't lost a lot of coolant, though, so I am gathering it's a leak of some sort. I am replacing the upper radiator hose -- but will keep an eye on it still. My car now has 89K on it, so wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and replace the water pump anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
OEM coolant is orange.
OEM coolant is orange. See these threads:

See post #9 (among others) in this thread---> http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9422&page=6

Also see this thread---> http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10574&highlight=coolant&page=4

I just topped of my coolant last night in prep for tomorrows off road adventure with a brand new jug right from the dealer and its definitely not orange. More of a pinkish color. And it was the same color as the coolant that was already in the over flow tank. I just flushed the system in May with the exact same coolant from the dealer and its the same coolant all the new jeeps use.

·
Registered
130 Posts
jbh30319, I just wanted you to know that, in my case, it was my water pump. I had a new one put in after several confirmations from mechanics.

After getting back home I cleaned out the whole engine with de-greaser and rinsed it down to clean it all up nice. No more leaks or signs of one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you for the follow up. I'm at 92K and still having the same issues. It doesn't seem to be losing coolant or running hot -- but I still am seeing the coolant spray.

I'll try replacing the water pump as well. I also found this video, posted elsewhere on this forum regarding water pump replacement on a 4.7 L Cherokee.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update on this – I did replace my waterpump and no more leakage. I really took my time on this, took a lot of photos, even went as far as labeling the bolts on the pump itself with a magic marker to ensure that I reinstalled the new pump with the correct bolt. While I was in there, I also put on a new serpentine belt – which was incredibly easy (although I also took my time, and a lot of photos, to ensure it was installed in the right direction – I also checked it after running the car for a little bit).

The one mistake I did make was that I did not install a new thermostat and radiator at the same time.

In hindsight, the radiator was debatable. After I installed the waterpump – the car was heating up very quickly. So, thinking that I had not properly installed the waterpump – I took it to a mechanic. They put in a thermostat for me – it was little frustrating to pay $200 to have a $15 part installed but I felt like I still came out ahead.

The car, though, was still overheating and now leaking. I took it back in to be told that the radiator was cracked. It had not been leaking before – and I was careful when installing the water pump – so I can’t help but think that the cracks were due to the mechanics at the shop being too rough when installing the thermostat. By that time, I didn’t really have the time to order and wait for a radiator – so I just paid the extra few hundred dollars in labor to have it done. I also, at that point, was concerned about the car running hot and blowing a head gasket – so it just wasn’t worth the risk just to save a few hundred dollars.

The Jeep had around 100K on it, so I didn’t have a problem having a new radiator put in. It’s just, in hindsight, I would have handled it all myself. I kind of feel like I completed the difficult part myself and then paid someone else to do the easy part.

Lesson learned though – if you can, be sure to replace the thermostat (and probably the radiator) when you replace the water pump.

It’s been about 6 months since the repair – no leaks or spray and everything is working fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a simular problem with coolant randomly being found on the ground. finally the car over heats and i find that the water pump bearing was gone and caused the water pump to come lose. The shop side the radiator had been clogged most likely causing the problem in the first place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts