Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just moved into a new place and after leaving my Commander parked all weekend I noticed ants running all around my roof racks. When I opened the door they were EVERYWHERE inside. What gives? Its not just my car either as all my roomates cars are infested. Any clue as to how to take care of this problem?

And before someone asks....no there is not any candy or sweets in the car, I'm all about sweets but c'mon.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
maroonandwhite said:
Ok so I just moved into a new place and after leaving my Commander parked all weekend I noticed ants running all around my roof racks. When I opened the door they were EVERYWHERE inside. What gives? Its not just my car either as all my roomates cars are infested. Any clue as to how to take care of this problem?

And before someone asks....no there is not any candy or sweets in the car, I'm all about sweets but c'mon.
Mmmmm......a flame thrower, drive into a lake, ant powder!!!!

Make sure they dont start stripping it down....if you see a wheel walking by its your's....they're clever them darn ants!!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I'd imagine that ant traps would be the way to go. Or bomb the interior. I've never used a bomb, but I'd imagine it'd be just as safe in a vehicle as it is in a house. Something to consider. Good luck with that, though!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sciron4x4 said:
I'd imagine that ant traps would be the way to go. Or bomb the interior. I've never used a bomb, but I'd imagine it'd be just as safe in a vehicle as it is in a house. Something to consider. Good luck with that, though!
It always seems that ants just run around bait traps. Do you think using a bomb will leave a permanent scent behind?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
maroonandwhite said:
It always seems that ants just run around bait traps. Do you think using a bomb will leave a permanent scent behind?
I doubt it would be a permanent smell, but figure it would linger for a week or two. Probably your best bet to really knock them out.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
That's a really strange problem. If you manage to get rid of them, put a circle of grease or something sticky on the ground in a circle around all four of your tires. That should keep the little buggers off and out of your rig.

Or better yet, just put a thin layer of grease on your front and rear axle shaft. If you think about it, the only way an ant can make it up to your roof or inside your interior is if it climbs the tires and then walk along the axle shafts. Every one of those ants must have taken that path to get up to the body unless it has some amazing jumping abilities. I started this post off as a joke, but seriously....how else can they get up there?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
The down side to a bomb is that you have to clean up all the ant bodies, but I have never heard of this problem before so I am without suggestion as well. It sounds like too many ants for an ant trap but I would imagine there would be a spray you could use instead of grease.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The Ant Exorcism

Monday, October 08, 2007
The Ant Exorcism
If you are an avid reader of this Blog (and let's be honest, why wouldn't you be?) you would notice that back in January I made this post about ants invading my apartment. http://torchness2.blogspot.com/2007/01/attack-of-killer-ants.html

I've had a few issues with ants since then, but nothing quite so bad as what happened to me this weekend.

You see, while I was spending the past week caring for my little brother, I was not at home. Apparently my 5'6'' frame galumphing around my apartment is enough to scare a few batches of ants, but while I'm away they seemingly ran rampant. I came back on Saturday to find that they bore a hole in the paneling by my bathroom floor, and suddenly there was a veritable nest of ants.

I should have taken a picture of it, but alas my new camera was broken (super, thanks Nikon, you suck). Imagine this: you come home, sit on the toilet to do your business, and see on the wall opposite from you, a fistful of ants. Swarming all over your wall, like they do around a fallen chip or cookie.

As I had not decided to continue picnics in the bathroom, I was curious as to why the ants picked that particular area to invade. I sprinkled borax powder on the floor and laid ant traps near the opening. To no avail. The little bastards went around the borax and started tromping their way on the carpet outside of my bathroom, and into my closet, and around my bedroom door, presumably on the way to the kitchen to get what will always be the inappropriate midnight sandwich snack.

I finally decided: it was time to close the gaps. I borrowed a tube of caulk from my dad, and spent part of last night plugging up any hole I saw an ant sneak out of. Oh, and you know what I did to the swarm of ants? Yep, I vacuumed them up. Every 15 minutes I would go back into the bathroom and suck up about 10 more ants. Die, suckers!

24 hours later, there are only 1 or 2 stray ants trying to poke their way back into the nest. And they can't. It gives me a maniacal glee to watch them try to get under the floorboards and fail. Ants 0, Torchness 2. Yahtzee.

*Note: I wanted to make a dirty joke using the word "Caulk," but I figured that since I know at least a few adults who read my blog (I know technically I am an adult, but I still refuse to think of myself in that manner privately, even when I am wearing a suit), I should refrain. Please silently applaud my self control. Thanks.
Posted by Torchness at 10:12 PM

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I too am now having a little ant problem at home. What a pain...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I live in central Texas and have had the ant problem from time to time. Always Fire Ants, usually happens after a lot of rain. Your vehicle is a nice dry place to build a nest. Locate the nest if you can, destroy it. Check for ant mounds on the ground near where you park. Use whatever you can to get rid of them, they can make driving unpleasant, especially if they're Fire Ants.

John

·
2,248 Posts
I used to camp at an RV Resort in Malibu that had an Ant problem. I learned a neat trick to keep them out of the RV. All of the people at the resort put a line of Comet Cleanser around their tires and cable connections. The Ants would not cross a line of Comet cleanser. It works.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jeadstx said:
I live in central Texas and have had the ant problem from time to time. Always Fire Ants, usually happens after a lot of rain. Your vehicle is a nice dry place to build a nest. Locate the nest if you can, destroy it. Check for ant mounds on the ground near where you park. Use whatever you can to get rid of them, they can make driving unpleasant, especially if they're Fire Ants.

John
Well im a clean freak when it comes to my car so no open drinks or food, and yes it has rained a ton down here in the south this past weekend. This may be a dumb question....but what exactly does a ant nest look like? A miniture ant hill?

If I get this fixed I am going to round up the last 10 of those suckers and go "Bart Simpson" on them with a magnifying glass and the sun

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Couldn't find a fix in the service manual for this problem ;) .... Chrysler should create a TSP ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
You could just spray all around your tires with some insecticide, like the kind you spray your house with. That would kill them as soon as they got on the tire.

Another option for killing ants is this AWESOME stuff called Amdro. It is a poison food that you sprinkle around. The ants collect it, eat it, feed it to the queen, and it gets fed to the larvae, and in a couple of days, they ALL DIE!!! It is totally awesome... And just to say the word one more time..."Awesome"

·
Registered
232 Posts
As to what the nest might be in your Commander, hard to say. If they're fire ants, they're attracted to anything electrical. They've been known in this area to short out water pumps on a regular basis. In my old F350 pickup they were nesting in the door gasket. There were small holes in the rubber gasket where they would enter and exit. I sprayed B-12 Chemtool (all I had at the moment when I found them) into the holes to make it inhospitable for a long time, killed them too.

They'll nest in small dark places that are hard to get to and will stay dry. Follow the trail of ants, they are going in and out of the nest. You don't have to have anything like food in your vehicle to have a problem with ants. They'll leave the vehicle to forage for food.

John

·
Registered
688 Posts
Maybe put something irresistible near the vehicle in an attempt to lure the ants out? I certainly hope they are not trying to make a home in there. If they are nesting, they'll just take whatever food they find into the Commander.

·
Registered
480 Posts
As an Entomologist (bug guy) I would say your area is ripe for ants to "get it on". They will leave their underground nest to mate and to move on to create new colonies. If you see a lot of winged ants then it is mating season in your area. The females are winged. The males die after mating which is why you have a bunch of dead ants everywhere (kinda nasty your jeep is covered in spent male ants). The winged females will shed their wings (look for wings) and nest in a new underground site and start a colony the following year. Usually they travel far enough to be your neighbors problem so don't worry about your house being infested. Please don't use torches to eliminate colonies as this is a severe hazard and common way people start house fires, it also does not eliminate the colony as it goes deeper than fire could reach (ants are wandering around after forest fires). Every year my garage floor will swarm the horn dogs for a few days and then they dissipate. Look in the area you park in and try to find the source and avoid it. Any questions just ask, use pictures for a better answer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
maroonandwhite: If you are looking for something to kill the ants in your Commander other than pesticides, soapy water will kill them. Actually any liquid cleaning product for cleaning the inside of a vehicle should work. The soap causes the ants to suffocate and die.

John

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jeadstx said:
maroonandwhite: If you are looking for something to kill the ants in your Commander other than pesticides, soapy water will kill them. Actually any liquid cleaning product for cleaning the inside of a vehicle should work. The soap causes the ants to suffocate and die.

John

I got to say I am pretty impressed with everyone's knowledge of ant extermination. Thanks for the input, I broke down this morning and sprayed the interior door panel with ant killer. Depending on my level of frustration tonight I might also use a fogger. Really a last ditch effort though.

Another remedy that I have used in the past to kill ants is fill up a spray bottle with half water half vinegar. It kills them on the spot and continues to kill for a few weeks. (but who wants a car that reeks of vinegar?)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts