Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, the time has come to replace the OE Forteras on my wife's Commander. While I thought they performed okay, there have been a lot of negative reviews, so I'm thinking that I may have been lucky and maybe I'll try something different. My qualifiers are that they need to be good, quiet road tires, and we don't off road, but we do spend 4 weeks a year in the Outer Banks. A tire that performs better on sand than the Fortera would be a plus to me. noisy or oversize would be a minus.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I've never had any problem with the stock Forteras in sand. Tires are not aired down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey there,

I've logged many miles between Buxton, Frisco, Hatteras and Ocracoke on both the Forteras and my current 245/70/17 Goodyear Silent Armours. I bumped up a size on the tires (without a lift) to get a little more aggressive look and fill the wheel wells more. I can't say that i noticed any difference between the Silent Armours and the Forteras on the sand. The thing with sand is that more aggressive tread, like mudders, will perform worse than less aggressive road tires. I'm sure you already air down to 15 to 20 pounds. What you want to do is "float" on top of the sand like a beach ball rather than "dig in" like trying to get a grip in mud. I never had a problem with either tire. I will probably stick with the Silent Armours when I need to replace them in a year or so.

I can tell you that the Silent Armours are virtually "silent" on the road. I have 30K miles on them so far. I expect to get between 40 and 50K. Excellent tire.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hey there,

I've logged many miles between Buxton, Frisco, Hatteras and Ocracoke on both the Forteras and my current 245/70/17 Goodyear Silent Armours. I bumped up a size on the tires (without a lift) to get a little more aggressive look and fill the wheel wells more. I can't say that i noticed any difference between the Silent Armours and the Forteras on the sand. The thing with sand is that more aggressive tread, like mudders, will perform worse than less aggressive road tires. I'm sure you already air down to 15 to 20 pounds. What you want to do is "float" on top of the sand like a beach ball rather than "dig in" like trying to get a grip in mud. I never had a problem with either tire. I will probably stick with the Silent Armours when I need to replace them in a year or so.

I can tell you that the Silent Armours are virtually "silent" on the road. I have 30K miles on them so far. I expect to get between 40 and 50K. Excellent tire.
I concur.:eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I agree with the above posts, a light truck tire is less likely to dig than a mud tire. A wide tire will provide more traction than a narrow one, especially when aired down. More contact area on the sand = more traction.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I've never had any problem with the stock Forteras in sand. Tires are not aired down.

In this picture it looks like you didnt make it all the way up and that you backed down. Then drove around and parked your truck at the top...lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would say...BFG all-terrains...or if your looking for some style...nitto dune grapplers

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
In this picture it looks like you didnt make it all the way up and that you backed down. Then drove around and parked your truck at the top...lol
Nope. Took several tries but I made it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Michlin XTL have worked well for me on many trips to the OBX (Avon to Point mostly) on my 06 XK and other jeeps.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Toyo open country's rock. I love them. Extremely quite, but handle mud and snow like a champ. My buddy had them on his Jeep and they were great in sand.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the suggestions. Online tire shopping starts today. I also like the idea of going up one size. Couldn't hurt, plus I like the idea of filling out the wheelwells a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts