Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Commander used with 29K miles on it and it runs great. I was wondering, even though I am taking very good care of it, if the previous owner stayed up on the maintenance. Is there a way to tell if I have any any sludge, or is there an aditive to put in to clean it out good just to be sure? OR, sholuld I just follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", saying? What about you guys that bought yours used and don't know how well it was maintained? Does engine oil itself atually do and "cleaning"?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Danny,
By virtue of your low mileage, even if a few changes were missed the engine is a bit too young to develop any measurable/visible sludge.
Generally, if an engine has had poor prior maintenence you will notice your fresh oil change turns to black in just a few hundred miles.
You are seeing the oils ability to clean and hold in suspenson the accumulated dirt within the crankcase.
In this situation, a couple of 2k oil changes would likely undo any previous service indescretions.
Avoid the use of any so called crankcase cleaning products as they can loosen so much debris that it ends up restricting the oil pickup screen.
But with your low mileage, odds are noneof this applies.
Just stay with a reasonable time/mileage change schedule and enjoy.

Rob

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Danny,
By virtue of your low mileage, even if a few changes were missed the engine is a bit too young to develop any measurable/visible sludge.
Generally, if an engine has had poor prior maintenence you will notice your fresh oil change turns to black in just a few hundred miles.
You are seeing the oils ability to clean and hold in suspenson the accumulated dirt within the crankcase.
In this situation, a couple of 2k oil changes would likely undo any previous service indescretions.
Avoid the use of any so called crankcase cleaning products as they can loosen so much debris that it ends up restricting the oil pickup screen.
But with your low mileage, odds are noneof this applies.
Just stay with a reasonable time/mileage change schedule and enjoy.

Rob
Sounds like a plan Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts