Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been thinking about getting line-x from the line above the door handles down all the way around the whole body including the bumpers. I've seen this done on a black FJ but he also had the white roof done. So any thoughts on this subject.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Don't see a reason why to do it unless you're going to be doing some hardcore offroading all the time. What's your purpose?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CrzCajun said:
Don't see a reason why to do it unless you're going to be doing some hardcore offroading all the time. What's your purpose?
well I went up to Green Ridge orv trail in Western Maryland and the side of my black jeep is scratch all to hell and I was on a nice size trail, and I'm planning on driving my commander till the wheels fall off, so it would be a good idea for me to get it done. Plus it just looks bad ass haha

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
datwistedscorpio said:
well I went up to Green Ridge orv trail in Western Maryland and the side of my black jeep is scratch all to hell and I was on a nice size trail, and I'm planning on driving my commander till the wheels fall off, so it would be a good idea for me to get it done. Plus it just looks bad ass haha
Yeah, I plan on keeping mine forever also. I was planning on heading up to Green Ridge sometime in the near future also. But, I was not looking for those scratches. Is there a lot of trees and bushes overhanding?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Line-X is great stuff, but expensive. I had the bumpers, flares, and rockers done on my ZR2 and it ran in the area of $600. I know a bunch of off roaders that have done it themselves with Duplicolor liquid bed liner (spray cans) and had great results. That method is A LOT cheaper, but it's a thinner layer then the Line-X. If you do it, remember to get it clear coated also because it makes it shinier and easier to clean.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I was going to ask a similar question.

I have seen two Wranglers in this area that appear to have been Rhino coated. One black and the other green.

So it is effective on scratch resistance, how about dents?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CrzCajun said:
Yeah, I plan on keeping mine forever also. I was planning on heading up to Green Ridge sometime in the near future also. But, I was not looking for those scratches. Is there a lot of trees and bushes overhanding?
well alittle in some spots. When I went last time there was about 8in. of snow on the ground and I was by myself so I didn't want to get stuck trying to get around alittle brush lol. Most of the trail is clear. It was hard to see what was what so I took no chance. Most of the scratches can be buffed out so its not a big deal, also I just love the line-x idea.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
datwistedscorpio said:
well alittle in some spots. When I went last time there was about 8in. of snow on the ground and I was by myself so I didn't want to get stuck trying to get around alittle brush lol. Most of the trail is clear. It was hard to see what was what so I took no chance. Most of the scratches can be buffed out so its not a big deal, also I just love the line-x idea.
Never seen one before, but would love to. Next time you need a 2nd vehicle going up there, let me know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My hubby has line-x on the inside and the underside of his CJ/YJ/TJ build I will go through some picts and see what I can find and post if we have any of the inside. I don't know about the Commander but it is awesome in the CJ project and I had a YJ with it too...no worries about rusting u just hose it out. I don't know about cost since we had a friend who did it for nothing but I know it is tuff stuff and can take a lot of abuse.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
its good stuff. i'll probably do it to the commander. i like it from the door trim down to the rockers.

i used it on my toyota rock crawler. i did the floor inside, along the lower parts of the doors and rockers as well as the flatbed. i used the roll-on stuff from wal-mart. it was pretty easy. the prep work is the most important. you have to sand all the pain so the stuff will stick and stay on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah its not cheap I checked with a line-X place in woodbridge and the guy told me it would cost close to a $1000.00 due to all the prep work. I'm just trying to figure out what line to follow on the front bumper.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
$1,000 doesn't seem too bad for having almost the whole vehicle done.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
do the prep-work yourself and save a bunch of money.

with a DA sander it won't take long to scratch up the paint enough for the stuff to stick.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
4.7commander said:
do the prep-work yourself and save a bunch of money.

with a DA sander it won't take long to scratch up the paint enough for the stuff to stick.
yup because the guy even said that prep is most of the cost. He also said they use a certain type of wire with the tape for a better edge so who knows, but whatever I can do myself I will. Just like that bumper your working on, VERY nice job your doing there with that man. I will be wanting one as soon as I can get my hands on one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts