Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching for a while now for some trails near Chicago. Nothing high skill level, just somewhere close to get away with the Commander for a few hours. Even if its just a few humps and bumps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The Cliffs in Marseilles just west on I-80 can be kinda wild but in the fall if/when it dries out is a good time to take the XK there.

The Badlands in Attica, IN is a great place. They have something for everyone. A bunch of us got together and went earlier in the year. There is a pic thread somewhere on the forum.

There is also the Mounds in Michigan. I've never been but several other forum members seem to like it. I believe there is a group going sometime soon. Check the social groups for more info.

Those are the ones I'm familiar with.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Been searching for a while now for some trails near Chicago. Nothing high skill level, just somewhere close to get away with the Commander for a few hours. Even if its just a few humps and bumps.

Thanks!
Ha-Ha,
Comon neighbor.....the humps and bumps we have here are our own [removed] (fill in blanks) excuses for streets. They're called roads, visitors call em off roading.
Like JCoulter said...those places are about all we have.
Your only hope is the snow piles in parking lots that will be available after November LOL.
Remember the Illinois Government saying...We're not happy till your not happy.
Our friendly state has no provisions for ORV areas.....might cost money that was to go to some politician.
Yep....Illinois has turned me into a bitter old guy over the last few years.

Stepping down,
Rob

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
There is a site that lists all the different off-road parks. Google off-road parks. I believe there are a couple on the southwest side of Michigan. There is another Mounds trip in the works details are being worked out. It would probably be a 4 or 5 hour drive for you, but it is a great place to go and get dirty. They will be posted in the Michigan Commanders Social group page.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Robby for reminding me how bad our roads are, drove into work this morning (downtown) if you add some mud on LSD that would be an awesome trail :)

I'll have to check out The Cliffs, have to get the XK dirty its too clean. Are their any Chicago meets, or tri-state meets?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Also try four wheel drive clubs, Northern Illinois.
There are several.....but their focus is primarily Wrangler.

Kind of disappointing.

Rob

BTW Awsome idea for modifying LSD.
If we wait long enouph, it will become necessary to navigate it with a Commander anyway.......maybe this spring after the salters get done breaking it up.

Rob

·
Registered
282 Posts
I can vouch for The Cliffs - truely an "insane terrain" park. I came away with a bit of damage, mostly easily repaired.

Wisconsin (at least southeastern) is not much better than IL in regards to available terrain. Both states need to move ahead with OHV sticker programs to allow the use of ATV trails of which there are many.

If you feel like heading towards Eau Claire WI you can explore a bit on the Jackson County Forest "roads". About 2 hours northwest from Madison off of I94.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts