Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a swap for a power antenna yet? I HATE the old ugly stick on any vehicle. Has anyone seen the inside/underside of the fender to know if there is enough room to mount a power antenna.

Why do they do this? Someone at DCX must know how ugly they are, every single photo on the jeep.com website has NO antenna visible! How conveeeeenient.

Or I guess I could do a hidden antenna and put a cap where the stock one is. Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Actually, nearly every vehicle on the jeep.com is Photoshopped to change color or impose it on a different background, it is much easier to work with the image without the thin little antenna on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I swapped out my antenna for a Euro Antenna found at AntennaX.com... Big improvement for very little money... I think it was like $15.00 shipped:

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
ChrisUCF99 said:
I swapped out my antenna for a Euro Antenna found at AntennaX.com... Big improvement for very little money... I think it was like $15.00 shipped:
quote]
How is the reception with this antenna?

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
ChrisUCF99, how is the reception with this antenna ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
jeep5253 said:
ChrisUCF99, how is the reception with this antenna ?
So far, I haven't noticed any difference at all. All my preset channels come in as strong as they were before.

When I owned a Jeep Liberty, I had the same antenna as well and never had an issue. You wont be dissapointed if you decide to go with it. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
It was done by the same idiot who:
Put ugly cheap plastic mirrors on this nice looking car.
Put the gas tank that runs empty in 200 miles.
Put the raised back seats (and non-adjustablle for any money) height of front passenger seat so that once you try to back it up by turning your head, you'll be staring in the middle of the f-ng back seat. Does anyone really gives a hoot about view of the passengers in the back seat?
Put unuseable 3-rd row seat good enough for babies only.
Put the rear lift gate behind which the floor rises - once you try to open the gate, all the s..t flies right out - I try to use window only but not the lift gate.
Gave this vehicle an unachieavable rating of 15 mpg while it is doing 11.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey Mikey - Are you having quality related issues.. ie: Tranny, water or wind leaks, etc? So for you only site things that are obvious to anyone who test drives the XK - I knew about all the items you mentioned WAY before I decided to order... and not a one of them is an issue... the lack of reliability, however, is becomming a huge PIA. :mad:

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think Mikey has one. I saw a post somewhere else here where I thought he said he has a 4Runner. (I'm looking for it, I'll post the link if I find it). I think he is just a jerk who gets off bashing others. Notice he has 111 posts, but the 3 or 4 I have seen are nothing more than rants about these same issues. Come on Mikey, surely you have something constructive to contribute. If you do have a Commander and hate it so much, then why did you buy it and why don't you get rid of it?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My apologies to Mikey. It appears he may have one, I must have mistaken him for TR4runner, who apparently also has nothing better to do either.

However, I was correct that he has been on here lambasting the JComm for about 8 months now. You really gotta hate something to keep coming back to repeat the same rants (mileage.. blah blah.. seating.. blah blah.. tank size.. blah blah) for 8 months. Sell the damn thing Mikey!!!

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way, I appreciate the earlier input on the antenna, but I actually like the shorter antenna less than the stock one. I would still rather have a power one or a hidden one. I'm no stereo expert, but I think I have seen that some of the tuner imports with high end stereos have some sort of hidden antenna so they don't mess up the look up the ride.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No. I do not have quality-related issues at all.
Yes. I have Commander V84.7.
I am contributing the fact that the car I bought for some 36K greenbacks runs out of gas in 200 miles and that IS AN ISSUE. I congratulate you if it does not bother you but it sure as heck bothers me (and many thousands others). 'nuff said.

·
Registered
476 Posts
mikey said:
No. I do not have quality-related issues at all.
Yes. I have Commander V84.7.
I am contributing the fact that the car I bought for some 36K greenbacks runs out of gas in 200 miles and that IS AN ISSUE. I congratulate you if it does not bother you but it sure as heck bothers me (and many thousands others). 'nuff said.
So why did you buy it? :confused:
...why do you still own it? :confused:

I may fuss on here about the on-going quality issues but I do really love the XK - just wish I had one that was not at the service department more than in my garage. - Which by the way I have contacted Jeep about.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
commander205 said:
My apologies to Mikey. It appears he may have one, I must have mistaken him for TR4runner, who apparently also has nothing better to do either.
Actually, the information that I learned on this site may end up saving me $$$$. See, we were strongly considering purchasing a Commander. I really like the styling of the Commander, and I like the QDII as well. Unfortunately, it seems that too many members of this forum are complaining about a plethora of issues with their Commanders.

Now I'm at a loss because I'm not sure what to buy. We want an SUV the same size as the Commander and 4Runner, with a good 4wd system and nice styling. I'd really rather not buy a 2nd 4Runner for the wife, but we just can't buy a Commander unless the quality issues improve.

That's why I will keep an eye out to see if the problems start to fade away.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You may want to wait until the '07 is in production for a few months and get feed back from those owners. I love the XK and expected a few 1st year issues.. just not so very many :(

I usually buy and keep a vehicle until it reaches the 200K mile mark - about 6 years - however - I will most likely be trading for either an '08 XK - if they improve the quality and get all the issues worked out - or an LR3 :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
HemiCommander said:
You may want to wait until the '07 is in production for a few months and get feed back from those owners.
That's exactly my plan. And the reason I'm here.

Lucky for us, we are not buying until the beginning of the new year. Hopefully we'll have a better idea by then...

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put this in another post, but you may be interested here...

Since I got such a great deal I don't mind a few minor problems. With Employee Pricing +2K rebate I got out the door for only $25K even. And that includes tax! HOWEVER, if I had paid 40K+ for a loaded Hemi and had these issues I would be pissed. In that league you just can't throw out a product with KNOWN issues without fixing them first. Especially when the fix only requires some caulking.

So Mikey I don't blame you if yours was 35K.

·
Registered
476 Posts
commander205 said:
...So Mikey I don't blame you if yours was 35K.
If Mikey were having issues I totally agree... BUT it seems that he just complains about things that are evident to anyone that would test drive and do a little research before buying.

I do love the XK (small gas tank, poor gas milage and kiddy section 3rd row and all) however, with a $42K sticker (and $12K down) for a loaded HEMI Limited does give me the right to be a little irritated with the fact that I am driving a rental more than I am the XK! :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts