Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to sound so pessimistic on my very first post but I joined to see what others have done about; That plastic part that fits on the front of the Commander, the lowest piece of the front end that gets mangled when driving through piles of snow. I do not know the name of the part or what its purpose is. It seems it must be a deflector of some sort. For a Jeep (and this is my third) this part seems very puny and prone to dislocation. I can't be the only one for whom this part is posing problems. Is there a simple solution? Take it off? What then? Is it important or just for show?
Thanks in advance for any good solutions.
Mike

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've had the same problem, I call it a chin spoiler I believe it is for aerodynamic purposes. I've hit a deep pothole before and the ends got ripped off. I just zip-tied it back up to the stock mounting location and it's fine. I personally like the way it looks but don't know if it really does anything though...

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Just remove it and be done with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just remove it and be done with it.
I especially like this idea. Living in Colorado and driving in some deep and plowed snow, this *part* has been my one problem since purchase. Is there an after market skid plate that would protect the front end from further damage?

·
2,248 Posts
There are skdplates, and then there are better skidplates.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It is an air dam that fits on the bottom of the bumper to reduce wind noise. In the book it says that you should remove it when doing any offroading. Most people take them off because they don't do much when installed except get ripped off in snow or mud.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I took mine off prior to our trip to Rausch Creek since i knew it would just get ripped off.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Not an avid but an occasional 4 wheeler; what is the *appropriate* skid plate? Is there a Jeep plate? Mopar? I only need to plow through snow banks!
Maybe this is what you want: 4xGuard

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
It is an air dam that fits on the bottom of the bumper to reduce wind noise. In the book it says that you should remove it when doing any offroading. Most people take them off because they don't do much when installed except get ripped off in snow or mud.
ditto. i was going to say the same thing. it was a pain when i installed my fog lights and tow hooks, so i left it off and threw it away.

this made me think, we have a sticky link called Easter Eggs it is also know as Secret Commander Amenities.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts