Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Ain't gonna' happen.
Sorry, I think 5253's right, considering the weight and shape of the XK, it would be extremely minimal. Probably be better off starting with the CAI and exhaust system upgrade although most of the reports I have seen on the forum show a 2 MPG increase....max...

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
A lot of people have wasted money upgrading ignition, it usually doesn't provide any benefit.

If your spark is too weak, then yes, making a hotter spark will create more power, better starting, better mileage. BUT, in almost all cases the spark is more than strong enough with the OEM system and upgrading it doesn't do anything. If the spark is hot enough already, the ignition control accurate enough already, etc, making the spark hotter or the control more accurate doesn't get you anything.

Your plugs and ignition wires degrade over time/use, slowly, so yes, you can find people that claim mileage and power increases with new plugs and ignition wires, but what the gains they are claiming are just getting back the power/mileage they lost slowly over the years/miles and never noticed.

Yes, you'll find lots of aftermarket equipment for ignition, and there is a need for it, for those that super charge their motors, those that build up their motors and double the redline rpm, etc. Basically, if you heavily mod the motor, you'll change it and create a need for a hotter than OEM spark, or more accurate ignition control, and in that case it will provide benefit. BUT, even a moderately modded motor, the OEM ignition is more than adequate and upgrading the ignition is just a waste of money.

Hey, I could be wrong, but like the slotted and drilled rotors, upgraded ignition is for applications other than Street/Off-Road Commanders even moderately modded, more than likely you're wasting your money. Wait till someone else is the Guenia Pig and spends their money to prove if these things offer an improvement or NOT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts