Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my XK last week, and ordered my first mod the following day, a 13" black rubber antenna from AntennaX.com to replace the 31" aluminum antenna that comes stock on the XK.

It arrived last night, I darted with glee out to my Jeep to 'simply remove the OEM antenna' to find that I could not get it to budge! I have used my hands, I have used a pair of pliers wrapped in a cloth (so as not to damage anything)... and it still won't budge.

Next step I guess is to spray come WD40 in there to see if I can loosen it up.

I have changed out many antennas in the past, and this one looks no different, a simple screw in antenna, but right now, it won't budge!

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I installed the same antenna on my Commander and had no problem getting the old one off.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Vise Grips, You are correct that it just turns so go at it and it will break free. I replaced mine with the 6" billit unit within weeks of purchase and it works as good as factory.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the new antenna looks great, I guess I'll have another go at it tonight then to get it off. Thanks for the quick replies guys, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
We dont have them over here in the UK :ugh2:

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I just tried again and this antenna is not coming off. I am wondering if the previous owner super glued that thing in there.

I have now sprayed WD40 in there to see if that will penetrate it.

Sigh... my first mod and I can't even get the antenna off... :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine has two "Flats" opposing on the side. I used a small Crescent wrench last time thru the car wash. Screws out, screws in.

KKKKFL

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I totally know how it works! I've removed many of these antenna's in my time and replaced them with stubbys, but this one just won't budge!

A buddy of mine has a cresent wrench in his car... we'll try that in a moment... sigh.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well this thing is definitely NOT coming off... hood up for more traction, large crescent wrench and nothing... it just looked like it was going to crack the paint...

Not happy...

Guess I get to live with the OEM antenna.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Hey COPRA?
I gotta wonder if when the dealer installed it they did'nt put a drop of locktite on it.
If you can get ahold of a pipoint propane torch [ flame width about 1/16", very accurate] you could heat the hex section without damaging surrounding components, to make the locktite break free. Only needs to be about 150 F.
Thats the best I can give from 1300 miles away,
............Rob

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that is what I am wondering, about the drop of locktite...

I also considered going up through the wheel well lining and removing the whole assembly so that I can get to it and remove it from the vehicle, that way I can't damage anything!

·
Registered
282 Posts
try putting a little heat on it. use a butane lighter or one of those long grill lighters. i use heat on stubborn bolts sometimes and they loosen up.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i had a stubbern atenna on my other car and just broke it off and then i use a drill bit to remove it. not sure if thats worth trying or not

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, 6 months later and a little perseverance, I now have my shorty black antenna on!
Seriously, last time I tried, 2 of us had a go at it with crescent wrenches, with no luck. That sucker wasn't moving. Even tried to coax it with WD40.

Well tonight, I was thinking about the Jeep and how it looks like a brand new vehicle now I have my new tires on it, it got me thinking about the first mod I bought the day I bought the XK, my antenna.

So I went out to the garage, soaked a rag in WD40, sprayed some WD40 on the antenna itself and left it there for an hour or so. I then went back out there with a new adjustable wrench, got on there and it came off smooth as butter, so I am really perplexed as to why when I bought it, that I couldn't get it off with a spanner, with a crescent wrench, when me and my bud tried it, and even with WD40... yet tonight... it came off real easy.

So I am now sporting my new stubby (s'cuse the language)! Looks a heck of a lot better than the OEM antenna!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions on here!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know what the deal was, but it's all switched over now, thankfully. That is pretty much the first mod I have done on all of our cars! :) The one on our MX5 went from about 15" to 2"! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts