Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to see a picture of a Commander with an aftermarket head unit. Are there dashkits out there that will support another head unit/radio in the Commander? I've been searching but so far have come up with nothing. I went to Circuit City and the dash kit they had that they thought would work, actually will not. Any pictures out there would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
It is probably too new to have a dash kit yet.
But with that Aux jack and a mp3 player, who needs aftermarket, unless you are going full blown system with amps, subs and stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rooney2oons said:
It is probably too new to have a dash kit yet.
But with that Aux jack and a mp3 player, who needs aftermarket, unless you are going full blown system with amps, subs and stuff.
I found a dash kit that is compatible with the commander:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-n5NgHbRU9ZL/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=142CR1286B

I have the stock radio with my commander w/o nav and want to add sirius but want to be able to see all the channel/song info. So i'm going to swap it out and get a pioneer head unit with sirius.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
I guess that works. I am just so sick of airplay.
I like the mp3 players, because I listen to what I want to listen to.
Not what someone else picks. Just me though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
I'm with Rooney2oons! Sometimes it is enjoyable to listen to Sirius... like on my way to the office in the morning... listining to CNN and/or Fox is good way to keep up with current events. However, the rest of the time it is cool to have the 6 mp3 disk loaded with my fav mixes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HemiCommander said:
I'm with Rooney2oons! Sometimes it is enjoyable to listen to Sirius... like on my way to the office in the morning... listining to CNN and/or Fox is good way to keep up with current events. However, the rest of the time it is cool to have the 6 mp3 disk loaded with my fav mixes.
Yeah, I have thousands of MP3's, but you'll never know what's new unless you listen to what's playing everynow and then; and Sirius plays the latest stuff that hasn't hit the mainstream yet... and that's the reason i'd like to be able to see the artist and song titie, which an aftermarket head unit will do :)

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
ChrisUCF99 said:
Yeah, I have thousands of MP3's, but you'll never know what's new unless you listen to what's playing everynow and then; and Sirius plays the latest stuff that hasn't hit the mainstream yet... and that's the reason i'd like to be able to see the artist and song titie, which an aftermarket head unit will do :)

Chris
that is a good point too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I had the base system in mine and changed it out. I put in the Alpine CDA-9856 head unit with the xm radio tuner. I also changed out all the speakers. Sounds incredible. And as you can see from mypantsaretorn's pics, they do make a kit for it. It is the same as what is used in the 2005 Grands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Here's my Alpine D310 w/ Headrest units: (By the way... anyone figure out a subwoofer solution yet?? besides throwing a box in the cargo area that takes up too much space?? I'm thinking of using the center console area under the center vents ... where the stock center DVD controls are supposed to go)







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Chipster....I think I recall chatting with you on the other forum prior to you putting in the system. That looks great! Where did you get the headrests from? I haven't seen them yet for the Commander. I haven't really been 'looking' yet, but it looks great. Nice job. Did you do the install yourself?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I have the Nav system and u-connect system. But I have an older DVD/Nav system that I would like to put in instead, Kenwood 8017. Do you know if the U-connect will still work? To install I know the kenwood has a mute wire, according to the install manual it is for muting audio during phone calls. Does anyone know if a double Din unit will fit in the dash?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
minnie_tank said:
I have the Nav system and u-connect system. But I have an older DVD/Nav system that I would like to put in instead, Kenwood 8017. Do you know if the U-connect will still work? To install I know the kenwood has a mute wire, according to the install manual it is for muting audio during phone calls. Does anyone know if a double Din unit will fit in the dash?
I don't think the double din unit will fit. The Jeep has like a 1 1/2 din opening. Or a 3" as opposed to a 4". I could be wrong though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
hokiehi said:
Chipster....I think I recall chatting with you on the other forum prior to you putting in the system. That looks great! Where did you get the headrests from? I haven't seen them yet for the Commander. I haven't really been 'looking' yet, but it looks great. Nice job. Did you do the install yourself?
I was going to do the install myself.. but decided against it because of time constraints. I had a local shop do the install.

The original headrests were modified to accomodate the LCD widescreens. I decided against the aftermarket headrests since I own the vehicle anyway... and I didn't want to deal with keeping the original headrests around.

The system sounds great... The video is pretty clear w/ good contrast on both the alpine head unit screen and the 2 Farenheit screens. The only peeve I have is when I wear my polarized sunglasses, it's really hard to see the alpine screen .... I shouldn't be watching the screen while driving anyway ;)

The whole system is just missing the low end bass. I really want to use the center console for a small sub... Hmmmm.... I'd like to fit one of these in there: (9" x 9" x 9") But I'll need a good clean power supply to power this puppy.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
hokiehi said:
I don't think the double din unit will fit. The Jeep has like a 1 1/2 din opening. Or a 3" as opposed to a 4". I could be wrong though.

I think if you get the NAV bezel it is a Double DIN opening. If you cant find listings for the Commander look up the Grand Cherokee as the radios and mounting are the same, only the bezel is different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Chipster009 said:
I was going to do the install myself.. but decided against it because of time constraints. I had a local shop do the install.

The original headrests were modified to accomodate the LCD widescreens. I decided against the aftermarket headrests since I own the vehicle anyway... and I didn't want to deal with keeping the original headrests around.

The system sounds great... The video is pretty clear w/ good contrast on both the alpine head unit screen and the 2 Farenheit screens. The only peeve I have is when I wear my polarized sunglasses, it's really hard to see the alpine screen .... I shouldn't be watching the screen while driving anyway ;)

The whole system is just missing the low end bass. I really want to use the center console for a small sub... Hmmmm.... I'd like to fit one of these in there: (9" x 9" x 9") But I'll need a good clean power supply to power this puppy.

Dude....it looks fricken sweet! The sub does seem to be a challenge....not sure where you else you could put one where it wouldn't be obtrusive. The screens in the headrest are nice. I was contemplating going with an overhead unit, but was concerned about blocking rear view visibility. I may touch base with you if I decide to go the route you did to find out how exactly they went about cutting into the headrests and running everything. Not something I'd really feel comfortable doing myself. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
Navigation system owners have a double DIN opening. Others have a 1 1/2 DIN opening.
Gotcha! Told ya'll I could be wrong. :) I wasn't sure about the ones with the nav, I just knew mine wasn't a double DIN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I ordered my gear from Crutchfield and got everything installed today! I bought the Pioneer DEH-P6800MP Head Unit and the Sirius Satellite Radio Add-On Tuner Module:

 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top