Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I just had a flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler installed a little over a week ago and absolutely love it. It gives a nice sound to the Commander. Its not to loud inside but has that nice V8 roar outside. I defiantely recommend this muffler.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Any loss of performance at all?

I had the 40 on my F150, and lost some power with it..
I have never heard of losing performance by adding a muffler thats more free flowing then the stock muffler. The only loss I can see is gas mileage due to your right foot mashing down on the gas pedal to hear the V8 roar.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just had a flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler installed a little over a week ago and absolutely love it. It gives a nice sound to the Commander. Its not to loud inside but has that nice V8 roar outside. I defiantely recommend this muffler.
Did you install an exhaust tip as well? If so, what kind? Any pics? I'm about 99.9% certain this muffler will be my first significant mod...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never heard of losing performance by adding a muffler thats more free flowing then the stock muffler. The only loss I can see is gas mileage due to your right foot mashing down on the gas pedal to hear the V8 roar.
Go talk to a truck guy... F150's, Dodge Ram's, etc.. There is such thing as "too" free flowing. I'll find some links to dyno's etc. I lost a bit of power at the top end. Good friend of mine with a hemi in his ram got the same muffler, and lost close to the same amount.

I ended up getting the Edge Evolution programmer to help compensate.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Did you install an exhaust tip as well? If so, what kind? Any pics? I'm about 99.9% certain this muffler will be my first significant mod...
I left the stock tip on there. Im really not into all that chrome shiny stuff. Plus I think it looks better when everything looks stock!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Go talk to a truck guy... F150's, Dodge Ram's, etc.. There is such thing as "too" free flowing. I'll find some links to dyno's etc. I lost a bit of power at the top end. Good friend of mine with a hemi in his ram got the same muffler, and lost close to the same amount.

I ended up getting the Edge Evolution programmer to help compensate.

I am a truck guy. I just cant see losing power from cutting off a stock muffler and replacing it with a flowmaster muffler. Yes there is such a thing as have an exhaust thats "too" free flowing. But when you have the stock cats and resonator I really cant see the exhaust being "too" free flowing to where youd lose power.

I had a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3.8 Liter and installed dual Flowmaster 40's inplace of the stock mufflers and gained HP on the dyno. That was prior to the stage 2 head/cam package and the other $4000 thrown in the engine. The car was totally stock besides the mufflers when it was dynoed the second time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Don't know what to tell you dude. Most guys I knew that had F150's like mine got rid of the Flows and got Magnaflows or Borla because the flows caused a decrease in power.

I had the same thoughts as you. I've put Flows on everything I've driven and never had that problem, but on the F150 and the Ram, it's miserable.

Some threads:
http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/189189-banks-magnaflow.html
http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/214165-who-hates-their-after-market-exhaust.html
http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/258945-magnaflow-flowmaster.html
http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/208795-replacing-flowmaster-magnaflow.html
http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/178268-lookin-explaination-flowmaster.html

Most of the complaints are about low-end torque loss. I made a mistake, I meant bottom end, not top end in my post.

I don't make this up, I promise. ;)

My old F150..

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
A friend of mine give his son his old Chevy truck. The first thing he did was put a more free flowing exhaust on it. The truck ran like s#!+ after he did it. My friend said that the engine needed a certain amount of back pressure to run properly. When he put the exhaust on it he eliminated the back pressure. That is what he told me, so if anybody knows different I will stand corrected.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A friend of mine give his son his old Chevy truck. The first thing he did was put a more free flowing exhaust on it. The truck ran like s#!+ after he did it. My friend said that the engine needed a certain amount of back pressure to run properly. When he put the exhaust on it he eliminated the back pressure. That is what he told me, so if anybody knows different I will stand corrected.
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Did he put a whole exhaust on? We are talking about just swaping out the mufflers, not full exhaust.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You never mentioned that you had dual exhaust on your truck. So did you have one muffler with the dual pipes coming off of it or two mufflers. My Grand Prix came stock with dual exhaust (dual mufflers).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put this on my liberty and rubicon. On my ram and charger I'M running LT headers with high flow cats and 50's and sounds like nascar baby.

Dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am a truck guy. I just cant see losing power from cutting off a stock muffler and replacing it with a flowmaster muffler. Yes there is such a thing as have an exhaust thats "too" free flowing. But when you have the stock cats and resonator I really cant see the exhaust being "too" free flowing to where youd lose power.
I'm no engineer or car guru but I do know that engines need a certain amount of back pressure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This thread has been high-jacked. Who cares about the Ford. This site is all about Jeep Commanders.

So, anyone have a Flowmaster 50 series SUV installed on their HEMI? Can we hear it?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts