Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was curious as to if anyone had the recall done on their XK for the ignition switch If so how long did the dealer have your XK for? Trying to figure out how long I will be without my XK so I can arrange to either take time off from work or have ride to work.

·
Registered
309 Posts
No fix reported yet that I know of. I am looking into replacing my entire switch deal with a push button system.
Many premade systems out there, but non made for the CAN bus that ch ysler has. I am going to the junkyard that has a vehicle I just totaled and rip out the system for some good old trial and error. 2014 durango.

Wont be the first time i hacked the can bus to make stuff work.

Dave

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just bought a 2007 this week and asked about the recall notice from 9-2014. The service guy told me they have the recall but no remedy as of yet. He claimed the problem was because people hang too many keys off their ignitions switch key ring and the second reason was they bump the key with their leg while driving.

I didn't necessarily believe either of his explanations but the printed out recall he gave me, clearly showed that Jeep still has no solution ...for the faulty ignition switches.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just found this:

http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html

I am going to get it, I will post pics when it is installed.

Say... after 1st week of March possibly. I need to rearrange my install schedule to fit it in. I hate changing plans, but this looks very useful versus power modifications on my intake manifold.

Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
SERIOUSLY????? WTF So I emailed chrysler and ripped them a new one for lack of support and design flaws in the XK with their sun roof drains and other know issues with the XK and their reply was that while they understand our frustration take my XK to dealer that is due for recall and let them fix any problems and diagnose any other problems I have and that I am responsible for any charges that may apply to it. LMAO!! WHAT A BUNCH OF CROOKS!!! We bail their BUTTS out 80 billion dollars worth and our government looses 1.2 billion of that and they have the gdm nerve to say we don't know the answer to the recall (how to fix) and its your problem not ours and youll have to pay any charges that you may incur our technicians diagnosing your XK??
Here's link to complaints on this issue and I'll be damned CHRYSLER cant fix it and or doesn't want to if your warranty has run out even though I'd bet my lief on it they knew it existed long before they released the vehicle lol. What surprises me the most is the NHTSA (govt) isn't forcing Chrysler to fix this. And why hasn't all jeep owners gone in with one lawyer to either get compensation to get their jeep (models) fixed or force them to fix it even with warranty that's expired as it is safety issue and design flaw.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

I understand that any vehicle can have issues or repairs/failures but this seems tad over the top with issues lol.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Its crazy to hear those reply and actions after things they are responsible for. NHTSA should have something to do with this.

·
Registered
180 Posts
His explanation was accurate of the ignition recall. There is nothing actually "wrong" with the ignition switch, people just bump it with their knee somehow (although my 6'3" legs are no where close) and can't figure out that the power brakes and manual steering still works. This recall is a waste of time, and not something I'm taking my XK in for when a fix becomes available. I have better things to do with my time then sit in a dealer service waiting room for three hours while they change something that's never going to affect me. Likely it's going to be a different ignition switch that has a push-in to turn off or something.

Why such anger towards Chrysler? Plenty of cars have clog-prone sunroof drains. They aren't that tough to clear and it's not something that can't be partially avoided by parking under less trees and such. I've personally never had a problem with it. As far as "other issues," the WK/XK platform has less glaring issues than a lot of other cars I know, and the fact is you're in a used car market with a platform that has been out of production for 5+ years. Any recalls and changes done at this point are most likely going to safety related and driven by serious accidents. The story is the same for any brand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The anger towards chrysler is that since ive owned my XK for 3-1/2 weeks I've had to replace transmission 57k miles on it....doors are failing to unclock and open (acuator) sun roof leaking and dripping through pillars and also water buildup under floor carpet in front (think from sun roof). passenger mirror vibrates like crazy. I ve owned 5 cars in my lifetime before this and never had issues with one of them other than general maintenance (brakes/mufflers/tires/maybe paint peel here there. 2 of those vehicles had sun roofs and neither leaked . And yeah I get that I can fix most on my own but the point is this is happening on an overwhelming number of Commanders and all jeep models from what Ive read and have been told by dealers. My boss has T-top 88 montecarlo and it doesnt even leak and thats original 37 year old seals on it....so the fact that chrysler has a product that is less than 10 years old and its leaking says it all. And if the ignition thing with keys is issue then why do those stupid key fobs? so they can make money when people need to make spare keys? Why design these gadgets on cars if they are gonna fail? When I first started driving my dad gave me tire pressure gauge and told me to check tires ever few fill ups at gas station....I dont need a sensor in the rim to tell me when its low lol. Or all these fancy sensors to tell me time to change the oil? Or the best one is "LETS PUT A SENSOR FOR THE TRANSMISSION INSIDEthe trasmission so when it fails they have to take the transmission apart to replace it and we can make money off them for the labor" Thats what all car companies are doing making cars more complex and with cheaper parts so they fail and have to be brought back to dealer. Thats my beef! I wouldnt be upset if there wasnt a general attitude from chrysler of not our problem its yours after the company was bailed out. Just being a little grateful and empathetic to its consumers would go a long way.

·
Registered
556 Posts
His explanation was accurate of the ignition recall. There is nothing actually "wrong" with the ignition switch, people just bump it with their knee somehow (although my 6'3" legs are no where close) and can't figure out that the power brakes and manual steering still works. This recall is a waste of time, and not something I'm taking my XK in for when a fix becomes available. I have better things to do with my time then sit in a dealer service waiting room for three hours while they change something that's never going to affect me. Likely it's going to be a different ignition switch that has a push-in to turn off or something.

Why such anger towards Chrysler? Plenty of cars have clog-prone sunroof drains. They aren't that tough to clear and it's not something that can't be partially avoided by parking under less trees and such. I've personally never had a problem with it. As far as "other issues," the WK/XK platform has less glaring issues than a lot of other cars I know, and the fact is you're in a used car market with a platform that has been out of production for 5+ years. Any recalls and changes done at this point are most likely going to safety related and driven by serious accidents. The story is the same for any brand.
Agreed on ****canning their recall. The recall should've been for the faulty ignition switch modules that so many of had to replace due to the dash lights flickering, etc. Andyes, Chrysler does nothing to retain loyal customers. Horrible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a 2007 this week and asked about the recall notice from 9-2014. The service guy told me they have the recall but no remedy as of yet. He claimed the problem was because people hang too many keys off their ignitions switch key ring and the second reason was they bump the key with their leg while driving.

I didn't necessarily believe either of his explanations but the printed out recall he gave me, clearly showed that Jeep still has no solution ...for the faulty ignition switches.
For what it's worth, I bought my 06 xk in early summer of 2009 and I bet it wasn't a month after owning it that my knee bumped the bottom of my key ring (a bottle opener), tweaked/torqued it just right and the Jeep shut off while going down the road. Of course, I just put it in neutral and started it back up -- but still, that was annoying and I can see how it could be dangerous. I had just one simple ring with a small normal bottle opener on it -- but it happened a couple more times after that so I decided to take the ring off my key. I have had a ringless key for over 5 years now!

I think it would be cool if their "fix" was a push-button start. Somehow I bet it will instead be some gaudy, ugly locking system that I will decide to pass on...

·
Registered
143 Posts
The push button as suggested in post #4 is a very cool idea. I know someone with a button like that on a minivan and it works great. The only drawback is a fob of that sort can stop working I'm sure. The more electronics and sooner or later something won't work properly. My mom has a similar fob I believe on her Ford Flex...and it stopped working, so I'm not too sure about that as a cure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just found this:

http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html

I am going to get it, I will post pics when it is installed.

Say... after 1st week of March possibly. I need to rearrange my install schedule to fit it in. I hate changing plans, but this looks very useful versus power modifications on my intake manifold.

Dave
Let me know how that goes! I may follow-suit.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The recall is for the ignition switch being able to be bumped with a knee and turning the ignition off. You've got to figure, the only thing behind this problem (or nearly none-problem in some opinions) is the ignition switch node that you put the key/RKE key into and turn.

The recall is NOT for faulty ignition switches that causes flickering lights, for lack of RKE keys that everyone only gets one key and NOT two keys like they should when purchased used, or stalling issues, etc. It seems everyone that has some sort of issue along these lines, hoping the recall will provide them something that the recall clearly states it is NOT.

I don't know for sure, but reading the problem, clearly sounds like to me, that they need to have the supplier redesign the ignition node switch to be more sturdy and require more force to turn the key from each position. Doesn't sound hard, but it can't be done overnight, nor cheaply.

As I understand it, that component costs $30-$50 I believe, take 15min to an hour to change out. The old keys, including the RKE key continue to work with the vehicle and new ignition switch node, no reprogramming or new keys necessary.

If they replace it with a just a new part of the existing design, it won't solve the problem. So once they have the new part, tested and proven, in production, they can start replacing them, and I'm going to guess, it may take an hour or two to do so at the dealer. You won't get new keys, extra keys, nor if you have a problem like flickering dash lights or stalling from a bad switch, can you bring it in and have them replace the bad switch with a new existing one under the recall, the recall is NOT for that, and the fix for the recall is installing a redesigned switch NOT a new old design one.

So, unless you're having problems with knocking your ignition key to the off position while driving, the recall shouldn't be a priority for you. If you have flickering lights or stalling and have troubleshoot down to the point you're convinced its a bad ignition node switch, just spend the $50 and 1/2 hour of time to replace it. You need a new ignition switch, NOT a redesigned ignition switch that prevents being bumped to the off position. If you're waiting for the recall, too kill two birds with one stone and get the simple/cheap fix for free, well that's your decision and you'll have to put up with the problems until they provide you the replacement under the recall.

Judging from the posts on this forum, the ignition switch going bad and causing problems is a common one on the Commander, but NOT so common that its a design or quality flaw to the point that it should be a recall. If you own a vehicle, it will require repairs and maintenance during its life, and many vehicles have a common repair that is more often needed than others. Its all part of vehicle ownership.

I suspect the timing with GM fiasco with the ignition switch that would turn itself off much more easily than Commanders ever suffered, was Chrysler/FCA covering their butt in case the media would go after them for the few complaints they have. Now that they averted the media crisis by issuing their own recall themselves, its no longer a priority, and they're taking their dear sweet time about fixing it. If that is the case, bad on Chrysler/FCA, but you have to admit the environment with our media and screwed up priorities does create these scenarios where minor or none issues are totally blown out of proportion and companies have to actions to head off the potential media created hysteria.

At the same time, for the last 10 years Chrysler radio's have had compatibly issues with apple products that get firmware updates, and Chrysler still make the blanket statement "They are aware of the problem and fix will be out soon", the fix's still have never shown up and yet they continue to sell accessories advertised to work with apple products that they do NOT work with.

So, would I be surprised if the recall was issued to head off a media crisis like GM suffered? But Chrysler has no intention, and thus will never field an actual solution, just keep telling customers they are working on it and it will be out soon? Nope, I would NOT be surprised in the least.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I bought my 2007 this past week, the used car manager told me that it's just a matter of people putting too many keys on their ring, which then hang heavy from the ignition switch and cause problems . The other cause is shorter people, who sit much closer to the dash panel and their knee hits the keys.

He said went on to explain that its just "user error"...and not actually something wrong with the ignition switch design itself. He said Jeep just acknowledged that people were having problems with the switch and issued the recall.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have NOT encountered the problem, as well, judging from the posts, the amount of ignition switches causing flickering dash lights is hardly a "big" problem, probably more than most vehicles, but hardly something everyone suffers.

GM claimed the same thing about their ignition switch problems, yet they had owners swearing they use only the key and the vehicle would die repeatedly on the road. There seems to be enough complaints, that were also severe enough, that it being a design flaw sounds legit.

Granted the Commanders problem seems a bit overblown, its few and far between, but arguably it should never happen at all, and the few people that experience it is NOT "user error".

Too many keys on the keychain? This also has been a totally bogus argument since the beginning, like at the diagrams and ignition switch and lock cylinder, or open an actual one up. The modern versions because they use electronic schemes instead of a lock cylinder for anti-theft, are even less likely for it to happen. When the key sheers off in the lock cylinder, then you can point to the owner and say its their fault for hanging so much weight on the key, up to that point, it is a poor design by the designers that it can NOT handle the forces involved.

Bumping the key with the knee? They've moved ignition switch back to the dash, this has never been a problem in the past in the 60's cars that had ignition switches on the dash, so I can see how designers didn't anticipate this problem, what they failed to realize is that the new key systems that they are moving to the dash, are much larger keys, in flimsier ignition switches (cause its NOT a mechanical lock anymore) with much lighter forces for turning the key. The result, unlike the 60's vehicles, bumping the key/key chain with your knee never caused the key to move to the off position, while today bumping the key/key chain with your knee can move the key to the off position.

Thing is, Chrysler issued a recall, that is more than an acknowledgment that people were having problems, that is a commitment to fix the problem for the owners.

The biggest "user error" are the ones that keep expressing interest in the recall because they are hoping to get new keys, hoping to fix their flickering dash light issue, asking if it will fix their stalling issues, etc?

·
Registered
8 Posts

What they told you was true, at least in my case. I have had too many keys on my key ring and had my seat adjusted sort of in the forward -most position of where it was still comfortable for me to drive. I noticed that I'd bump the keys and it would turn off the ignition while driving. This happened 2-3 times. I've since backed the seat and lowered it a little bit (still within my comfort range) and this problem hasn't happened since.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Has anyone heard anything from Chrysler regarding the recall? Seems like it's taking quite a while to get this sorted. I wish they would issue an update and a guesstimate of when the fix will be ready.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What they told you was true, at least in my case. I have had too many keys on my key ring and had my seat adjusted sort of in the forward -most position of where it was still comfortable for me to drive. I noticed that I'd bump the keys and it would turn off the ignition while driving. This happened 2-3 times. I've since backed the seat and lowered it a little bit (still within my comfort range) and this problem hasn't happened since.
For as much as I have beat up people for griping and moaning about problems that have nothing to do with this recall, I've got to do the opposite and tell you, IMO I don't think its your fault.

If you hang enough weight off the key that it snaps the key off in the key hole from typical bumps and sways while driving, then yea, I'll agree its all your fault.

If you've hung so many things on a key chain that it can NOT be practically carried in a pants pocket, I'd agree you've exceeded the reasonable amount of size/weight for a key ring, and the burden shifts toward you.

If you're adjusting your seat so that you far outside the designed and recommended seating position for your size, that might shift the burden toward the driver (these are the folks that also suffer bad injuries from the air bag deploying).

If you're stomping your foot up and down excessively to the beat of a blaring stereo, maybe the burden shifts to you.

But the ignition switch is "Suppose" to hold the position the driver sets it last and NOT change that position until the driver intentional moves it to a new position. It must have a détente positions that hold it into place and require enough force to move past the détente to another position that it won't happen accidentally, and that includes minor forces being applied to it accidentally. It also should last a reasonable amount of time and NOT malfunction at too high a rate.

The GM fiasco without a doubt was a flawed designed switch, and GM did nothing about what was a undeniable flaw.

The Chrysler switch, was NOT nearly as bad, Chrysler and NHTSA agreed the switch is flawed and Chrysler would remedy the problem for the owners free of charge. i.e. recall it.

The reasonable explanation why people are still waiting for the recall is that Chrysler and its suppliers are still redesigning the switch and putting the new switch into production, it will take some time.

If the problem is the switch wears too quickly, and thus too many of them loosen up to cause this problem, a reasonable fix might be to just replace them with new ones of the original design that are NOT worn, of course that might require repeating the recall several times per vehicle, because you really haven't fixed the flaw, you've just mitigated the problem till later when it wears again.

Again folks, the recall is for an ignition switch that moves positions so easily, that it can easily be accidentally switched off while driving. If you never had your ignition key accidentally switch to the off position while driving, or if you simply test the ignition switch yourself and find there is enough resistance in the switch, that you are confident a minor bump or swinging key chain would NOT cause it to move to a new position unintended; well then you don't have the problem that is the recall will solve. I don't understand while you're fussing about it.

Sure, if you got a recall notice, but don't have the problem, you might as well get the recall done, cause the problem might develop in the future, so why NOT get it fixed before it starts. Why get indignant for waiting to solve a problem you don't have yet?

If you have a different problem than described by the recall? Why are you NOT trying to fix that problem, or trying to get Chrysler to issue a recall for your specific problem if you think its a design or manufacturing flaw? Misunderstanding the recall and thinking it means something totally different than it actually means, or simply griping and moaning on an internet forum is NOT going to solve your problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just had the P73 recall done as a precaution for the
Service 4wd. While they were at it they replaced the
ignition switch. I hate the new switch, as it has a really
tough spring built in. You really have to push in to get the
key to turn to ACC. Another thing I hate is when you go to
start the Jeep, it springs out, and forces the Jeep to crank
over.

Wish they didn't screw with the old switch. Never had a problem
bumping it to acc while driving. I wonder if there's a way to cut
the spring inside so it doesn't have all that tention?

Don't know what it is with Jeep and high tension springs. Same
thing with the door handles. The spring was the cause ripping the
plastics apart. Way too much tension.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts