1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm a misplaced Texan in NoVA.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Woodbridge, VA here. Originally from La.

·
Registered
190 Posts
CrzCajun said:
Woodbridge, VA here. Originally from La.
By chance are you also on the NoVAJeepers forum?

·
Registered
190 Posts
sciron4x4 said:
You guys ever wheel in the GW or Jefferson Nat Forests?
I've been out there twice with NoVA Jeepers in the Jeep, and was out there doing a trail cleanup with them in the pickup this past weekend. We pulled enough furniture to fill a two bedroom apartment and two truck loads of tires out within the first 0.25-0.5 mile into Salt Shed, and that about filled the GOT JUNK trucks up. As for trail rides up there, we personally have gone up Flagpole and 2nd Mountain in the Jeep.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
lonestar said:
I've been out there twice with NoVA Jeepers in the Jeep, and was out there doing a trail cleanup with them in the pickup this past weekend. We pulled enough furniture to fill a two bedroom apartment and two truck loads of tires out within the first 0.25-0.5 mile into Salt Shed, and that about filled the GOT JUNK trucks up. As for trail rides up there, we personally have gone up Flagpole and 2nd Mountain in the Jeep.
Head up Dictum Ridge (without stacking rocks) and take pictures. :D

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lonestar said:
Sounds like our last trip out to our (wife & I's) adopted trail just outside of Covington, VA.... we had to leave a few large items behind because we just completely ran out of room in the vehicles. We had about 5 vehicles that day, and just had no more space. It's really a shame what ignorance there is.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
lonestar said:
By chance are you also on the NoVAJeepers forum?
No, I'm not on the NoVAJeepers forum.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^ It's nothing too exciting out there, but it's still some legal "off roading" for ya. ;)

Possibly going to GWNF for a little camping/wheelin trip in May, and will post up some details as the time gets closer for anyone interested. Wouldn't mind seeing some Commanders out there.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
sciron4x4 said:
^^^ It's nothing too exciting out there, but it's still some legal "off roading" for ya. ;)

Possibly going to GWNF for a little camping/wheelin trip in May, and will post up some details as the time gets closer for anyone interested. Wouldn't mind seeing some Commanders out there.
I'd be interested, but it would have to be over the weekend. I'm retiring from the Marine Corps and am looking at starting work in May, so will have no leave time. How are the trails up there? Nothing too hard, huh?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It will be a weekend, for sure. And the trails are hit and miss. Some can be pretty hard, some are perfectly safe. Depending on whether or not I still have my ZJ, that will really play into what trails I take. If we just have the Patriot or Commander, we'll drive up, but end up riding with someone else on the trail rides. Ha. I know others that are going won't do some of the trails up there, so there may be several seperate trail rides going on at the same time. We'll play it by ear.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I'll be in the commander with the wife and two little girls, so if it's hard trials, count me out, which was why I was looking at heading up to Green Ridge State Forest Park.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
CrzCajun said:
I'd be interested, but it would have to be over the weekend. I'm retiring from the Marine Corps and am looking at starting work in May, so will have no leave time. How are the trails up there? Nothing too hard, huh?
The trails of George Washington National Forest near Harrisonburg range in easiness. The main forest road is fairly easy... anything with a bit of ground clearance can complete it. There are maybe two "obstacles" on the trail which can be completed with no issue (did it several times in my Cherokee before it was lifted and was running stock tires).

There are some harder trails to... one up and back trail that involves climbing a small waterfall (ripped my rear fender flare and damaged my rocker panel on that one) and Dictum Ridge which is more a challenge for even stock Wranglers although sometimes people ruin the difficulty with rock stacking.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CrzCajun: Just like rubicon said, the trails range in easiness. I say come on out, and we'll enjoy some of the ones that you're comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts