Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up 24 50# bags of play sand for the the younger son's new sand box (his 2nd birthday is tomorrow!). I tried looking up the cargo specs and was unable to locate anything in the manual. Anyone load near or over 1200 Lbs. in the cargo space behind the 2nd row before? What were the results (besides a seriously sagging rear end)? Any risk of permanent damage?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) = the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer that is loaded, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

base curb weight (BCW) = the weight of the vehicle including standard equipment, oil, lubricants and a full tank of fuel. Does not include optional contents or other optional equipment, the weight of driver, passengers or cargo.

All weights in below table are in pounds (lbs).

Commander Sport 4X2
GVWR = 6200
BCW = 4649

Commander Sport 4X4
GVWR = 6400
BCW = 4826

Commander Limited 4X2
GVWR = 6300
BCW = 4936

Commander Limited 4X4
GVWR = 6500
BCW = 5119

Commander Overland 4X2
GVWR = 6300
BCW = 5055

Commander Overland 4X4
GVWR = 6500
BCW = 5239

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Jeep® Commander features enough interior space — a generous 69.4 cubic feet with the second- and third-row seats properly folded — to stow all your gear, from surfboards to suitcases. Plus the astoundingly flexible 40 / 20 / 40 split-folding second-row seat and 50 / 50-split third-row seat can form a multitude of different configurations to carry cargo of most shapes and sizes. Too big to fit inside? Not a problem. With the optional roof crossbars you’re all set. Roof rack side rails with two tie-down loops come standard with all Commander models.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
1500lbs Capacity is very impressive

·
Registered
57 Posts
All I can say, is I've used my Commander for transporting sandbags, concrete blocks, logs, furniture, groceries, people, removal goods, whatever. On a highway, small roads, city, and even offroad. Every time the Commander came through as the winner, pulled through without complaining. I just love it. That's our big mamma. Specs are for sissies, the real cabability of a car is tested beyond the specs. :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! 1574 is impressive. I will say though with my weight and the weight of the family I was about 100 pounds over the GVWR figure. But then again I only has a 1/4 tank of fuel. I should have taken a picture the [rear] end was really sagging...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's our big mamma. Specs are for sissies, the real cabability of a car is tested beyond the specs. :)
Love your nic-name for your XK!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cargo Capacity

I was helping a friend ship some belongings out via UPS - the drop off site is 5 mins drive, however the cargo capacity in the jeep? 2 large suitcases, 24 20lb. "copy boxes" - 1 trip :D Eat it economic vehicles :rofl:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts