Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
:icon_confused:I think it is part of the air intake system but the box has only one hole where that tube attaches to. I can't seem to figure out how air can escape because there is only 1 opening.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should I be emptying it once every so often since it is a bagless style vacuum right? LOL no seriously, you reinstalled it right after your CAi install right?

That is the vacuum canister. However, I have no idea what it is used for.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what its purpose is. I don't think it is doing its job because it is constantly dirty and dusty underneath my hood. I'll upgrade to the Rombus if they can make one small enough for the Xk. btw, can't send u nemore PMs. all full buddy!

·
Registered
451 Posts
It is just a vacuum canister. Like a tank on an air compressor. It allows the system to store up vacuum so vacuum operated stuff on your commander will work when the engine is not developing much vacuum, like while mashing the gas, or while the engine is off.

·
2,248 Posts
One way to visualize why you have a vacuum canister is to remember how the old vacuum driven windsheild wipers would pause or stop when you pushed down the gas pedal and decreased the amount of vacuum created by the intake manifold. The vacuum canister just stores and increases the amount of vacuum available for such uses as the cruise control or emission system needs. Ported vacuum is often used to open and close valves or gates in the HVAC system also.

Under acceleration you might read no vacuum on a vacuum guage. At idle you might read about 20 inches of mercury, (hg), and on decelleration down a long hill you will get the highest vacuum readings.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Looks likes a childs sandwich box!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info guys. so I guess i would have to re-install it after putting on an aftermarket CAI. cool.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
One way to visualize why you have a vacuum canister is to remember how the old vacuum driven windsheild wipers would pause or stop when you pushed down the gas pedal and decreased the amount of vacuum created by the intake manifold.
I wonder if how many Commanders owners have even driven a car with vacuum powered windshield wipers ...

I'm in :)

I remember havng a few cars from the 60's with a in dash vacuum guage ... but they had electric wipers ... you don't see vacuum guages on cars anymore.

·
2,248 Posts
I wonder if how many Commanders owners have even driven a car with vacuum powered windshield wipers ...

I remember havng a few cars from the 60's with a in dash vacuum guage ... but they had electric wipers ... you don't see vacuum guages on cars anymore.

Actually some cars do have a vacuum gauge, My commander has a digital vacuum gauge, the mothor home has a analog vacuum gauge also. Of course you have to add them your self. As I think about it the Mustang bracket race car has one too, but not for mileage. A vacuum gauge can tell you alot about the tune of your engine. I also have a fuel pressure gauge and an hour meter.

Some street driven race cars with a radical cam also use vacuum canisters and even a vacuum pump because they do not produce enough vacuum.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
my 1955 Willy's had vacuum wipers and the faster your drove the faster they worked.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Sorry Huey, but I'm 42 and I don't remember ... Now my Fire Engine has a big vacuum gauge on it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts