Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Phunkeydude has wheels like that I think, but that is not his rig.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Those are just black "steel" wheels or "wagon wheels" as everyone in the south would call them in the 1980's before there were millions of rim companies. They are still cool and some of the cheapest you can buy. If you google it you will probably find them under "steel wheels". These rims are commonly used on boat trailers also. Check out this link. http://www.roughcountry.com/black_wheels.html

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
They look like basic American Racing steel wheels. Steelies are great for wheeling since they can take a lot of abuse, are cheap to replace, don't have the balance issues that some nicer wheels have, and you don't care if they get nicked or scratched. Never seen them on an XK before, they don't look too bad, but I'm still going for the AEV's the next time around!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
What would have come with these type wheels? Thats the reasonthe "steelies" are so cheap is you can go to the junk yard and pull off hubcaps and buy them off the junker. What would have come with steelies that would fit our XK

old jeep wagoneer?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What would have come with these type wheels? Thats the reasonthe "steelies" are so cheap is you can go to the junk yard and pull off hubcaps and buy them off the junker. What would have come with steelies that would fit our XK

old jeep wagoneer?
I think im confused now and im not sure what your asking. That particular wheel didn't come stock on any vehicle. The individual just bought them with the bolt pattern that fits a Commander. They are American Racing wheels.

·
Registered
130 Posts

old jeep wagoneer?

I think you are missing it..... "steelies" refers to the metal that they are made of "steel". Not "stealies" like they are stolen from another vehicle.:rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think you are missing it..... "steelies" refers to the metal that they are made of "steel". Not "stealies" like they are stolen from another vehicle.:rofl:
I dont think thats what he was refering to. He was asking what vehicle the wheels had came off of.

ie. jeep grand wagoneer

Then he mentioned replacing the hub caps from other wheels with steelied from the junk yard.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
These OP's pictured wheels are not the steelies that come on most cars. They look like these but most of them come in black not silver.

And I don't think that any Jeep has ever come with this style wheels. Any jeep with hub caps on it is just a crime against nature and humanity.

·
Registered
49 Posts
jeep wheels

i had a set of STEEL WHEELS on my jeep that were spoked steel wheel. Pretty sure they were factory. It was 77 CJ 7

I run a factory set of steel wheels on my F350. I just bought them from the junk yard and painted them

just wandering if any thing came stock with spoked steel wheels without haveing to order from American racing (or some other wheel company) and paying 10 times the price for them

·
Registered
192 Posts
You could also paint your stock wheels black like myself and several here have done. I don't know how well they will hold up, too soon to tell. But it looks a little different than the typical Rockcrawler type wheel. I do like that look ,I have had a couple jeeps that had those wheels. I always bought them from 4-wheel parts wholesalers. They were like $40-something a piece.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
i had a set of STEEL WHEELS on my jeep that were spoked steel wheel. Pretty sure they were factory. It was 77 CJ 7

I run a factory set of steel wheels on my F350. I just bought them from the junk yard and painted them

just wandering if any thing came stock with spoked steel wheels without haveing to order from American racing (or some other wheel company) and paying 10 times the price for them
The thing that is so attractive about the steel wheels, whether they be from American Racing or someone else, is that they are inexpensive. You can get them from like $30 to $50 each !! If you scratch them up, so what. Spray paint fixes everything.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The thing that is so attractive about the steel wheels, whether they be from American Racing or someone else, is that they are inexpensive. You can get them from like $30 to $50 each !! If you scratch them up, so what. Spray paint fixes everything.
They definately are cheap but I cant agree on the attractive part. Steelies are by far the ugliest wheels that are in producton. Plus scratches add character!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm pretty sure I found his exact wheel. You'll notice he has a red strip around the rim. The only black steel wheel I've found with a red strip on it is the Daytona.

I want those wheels for my Commander, but I've been told that they would rub on my front calipers, even with 4.5" backspacing. Does anyone have a steel wheel that doesn't rub on the calipers? If so, please let me know which model.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you read post number 6 in this thread I already stated what wheels they were.

·
Registered
104 Posts
American Racing AR767
Crager Soft 8
Pro Comp Rock Crawlers
US Wheel 84 series

etc etc etc...

Pretty much every company makes a black STEEL wheel.

While they are cheap, that's b/c most folks that have those, have 15" wheels.

Sadly, They're not that cheap in 17s. Avg about $80-90/wheel, plus another $10 for the centercap from whatever brand you pick.

At that point, you're only a few $$ away from the low end AL wheels.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts