Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just browsing the net and saw this pic - looks like a good place for a remake with a Commander. Anyone know where it is?

My wife is sincerely hoping no one knows. :)

·
2,248 Posts
You find the place and maybe I could set you there with a sling using a Helicopter, at least long enough to get the picture.

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
Where did you find the picture ?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I think this is about as close as I'm going to get...

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huey, I think with your JATO mod and that anti-grav generator, we could get there!

·
2,248 Posts
Interesting, the second photo is not nearly as convincing as the first. The shadow is off and the angle is a little wrong. Easier to spot the second as a fake. Polar, you been working on us with your photo editing software......lol

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, you caught me! But, I didn't do anything to the first one... that's just how I got it. =)

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I like the passenger side mirror on the second one, opps!

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a "retro" mod!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
:rofl: :rofl: toooo funny...

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I know where that is.

It is on the edge of Pucker factor 10 and no f'n way!
Is that near "I double dare you" or "hope your insured"?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Assuming that the photo is of a real location, I wonder if it could be the road near the Alpine Tunnel in CO. Isn't that area called the Palisades, or something? I now the CO guys will help me out!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
If the link below is true, it's an old section of Black Bear Pass near Telluride, CO that has been widened since?. It says the picture is from a 1975 Warn Winch ad.

http://flashoffroad.com/Articles/blackbear/blackbear.htm

I heard a rumor Black Bear Road is now closed, but can't seem to find anything confirming that.

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is this near the proposed site for the Colorado link up next summer? Could be a good excursion!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
The trail itself is not difficult. It's made up of rather tame road and rediculously tight switchbacks. It's the dropoffs that are insane. There is simply no room for error. If it is still open for travel, I would love to take the XK over it. If it is closed, there are amazing trails in the general area. Basically anything out of Silverton or Ouray is over the top beautiful. The ghost town of Animas Forks above Silverton is still relatively intact and great fun to explore. Engineer Pass takes you up to 13,000+ feet. My brother and I were up there at dusk one night 20 years ago and we were watching a thunderstorm about 10 miles away, below us! I'd never observed a storm from the top without being in an airplane before. Black Bear would be awesome but there's more trails than one could do in a few days all within that general area. If anyone is into research, google Cinnamon Pass, Engineer Pass, Imogene Pass, Poughkeepsie Gulch, Yankee Boy Basin, Ophir Pass...

Well here - found a better link for anyone interested..

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts