Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the Rocky Road kit and received it today (minus the shocks:headbang:, called them - backorder, just received and shipping tomorrow).

After reading numerous threads about lifts, I know some here prefer the stock set-up, and at least one person has gone from being lifted back to stock.

For those of you with the 2" lifts, do you regret doing it? Do you think your Jeep handles worse in normal driving?

99.5% of my driving is on pavement (unfortunately), but we do get quite a bit of snow here in Wisconsin. I am looking forward to pulling people out this year. I figure the lift will at least help out with snow clearance, and will be getting some better tires - Nokian Vatiiva A/T or BFG A/T - in a slightly larger size.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I think the lift is the best thing I ever put on the XK. The RR is great but remember to put your rear spacer on top of the spring to keep them from failing. I know that when we do get snow I always come home to a driveway that has been plowed in by the trucks on the road. Without the lift it took a bit of a running start to get in, after I got my lift and better tires I don't even bother to clear the driveway and it get in without any hassle. I can't remember a difference in the handling or ride quality from before the lift to after but it has been a while since I lifted it. I am 100% happy I lifted it.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
I am thrilled with my RR lift, wish I had the funds for the 4" lift but this is what I can do for now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i just put my rr lift on and i love it. not only does it make the commander look the part of being a jeep but it helps with being able to see a bit better in traffic. at least for me. i don't like the feeling of sitting eye to eye with someone in a saturn, and not being able to see what's going on in front of me. not to mention i can drive over curbs and islands and not abuse the bottom of my jeep.

·
Registered
346 Posts
No regrets other than like 49er that we don't have the 4" lift. My wife actually loves the lift and can't believe how low we sat before. I haven't noticed any difference in handling, just a slight decrease in MPG running the lift and larger tires - but we didn't buy it for the gas mileage!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I love the lift the only thing is I wish I had bought some not so aggressive tires.. Because the noise is pretty up there and also I kinda miss the handling that I once had and the little bit of MPG. But otherwise it doesn't look like a jeep without the lift.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I loved my BDS 2" lift. Took it off for several reasons, and actually enjoy driving it again now that it's back on street tires. Quieter, smoother, better gas mileage, quicker on the accelerator, etc. If I had to do it again, I'd go with the Superlift.

·
Registered
807 Posts
mine handle great with 2 inch lift.can't corner as fast but still very good. I cut it close getting in to garage now with lift and roofrack. my only regret is not having taller garage so I could have lifted higher.wish I had 3.5 inch lift rather than 2 inch leveling lift.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
My only regret is not going with the 4"!!! All in all, I love my Rusty's 2" lift. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I got the RR 2.25". I love it. I tow a 7500lb camper. Have off roaded in some rough stuff and it is still doing great. I think I would go with the OME if I was to do it again though. Handling has gotten a little looser than with the stock height and tires, but not sure if tires or lift affected the handling more. It still handles darn good for a JEEP!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I got the RR 2.25". I love it. I tow a 7500lb camper. Have off roaded in some rough stuff and it is still doing great. I think I would go with the OME if I was to do it again though. Handling has gotten a little looser than with the stock height and tires, but not sure if tires or lift affected the handling more. It still handles darn good for a JEEP!
I think it is the tires

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I will be drinking beer in the garage this weekend if I can get the kids to entertain themselves for a while.

I wonder if spacers would help the handling after the lift (forget about tire characteristics here for a moment). Thinking 2" up with 3" wider should roughly even things out as far as center of gravity.

I had a 97 Grand Cherokee before this so I am used to the way a jeep "handles" :)

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
I wonder if spacers would help the handling after the lift (forget about tire characteristics here for a moment). Thinking 2" up with 3" wider should roughly even things out as far as center of gravity. :)
Many of us are running 1.25" or 1.5" spacers along with our lifts.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
We had the 2.25" RR lift on our '06 for a few months before my wife talked about getting a second commander. She asked if I'd like to upgrade from my '91 wrangler to her '06 commander. I said no, I'd like to upgrade from my '91 wrangler to an '07 wrangler with a 4.5" long arm and 37's, why do you ask? My condition for taking over the '06 XK was being able to put the 4" Superlift on it. We were in agreement. I've loved both lifts, though I never did much off-roading when it had the 2.25" kit on it since it was still her rig.

The 4" is an amazing setup. The ride is great (back may be a bit soft, actually) and the system has required nothing since installation. My two complaints are that the stock front struts are a little overwhelmed by the weight of the larger tires, but that's not a fault of the kit. The Bilsteins would cure that I believe. The other is the wheel spacers allow more leverage on the knuckles/balljoints/tie-rods, and I think the steering rack has developed more play than it would normally have. I have the clunking over bumps that is annoying, and I don't think its the sway bar link bushings.

We're looking at lifting my wife's '08 when it needs tires, probably in the spring sometime. I was going to recycle the RR kit but one of the rear spacers was beginning to split (I looked after reading the threads here) and I've already tossed both rear shocks that I got with that kit, as they were both leaking after 8 months of service. So I'll probably do a BDS kit or something around 2" with Bilsteins. Then I'll go pay a gazillion dollars for tires that fit 18" rims.

I don't regret either lift at all.

·
Registered
456 Posts
No regrets here either man. Lifting and not spacing out does raise the center of gravity a little bit but nothing to make you uncomfortable. You just have cold feet, dont worry about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No regrets! The looks and thumbs up I get from other Commander drivers speaks volumes. I went with the Rocky's 2.5" lift w/ rear shocks kit. The ride felt stiffer out back, which is welcomed since I always use all three rows of seats and the kids aren't getting any lighter. One of the problems with the kit was a knocking sound due to the kit not including the proper sized washers (according to the shop I had it installed at). Tech support was very helpful and new exactly what I would need to fix the knocking.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I agree, I got another compliment and some questions from a guy at the gym last night. It just makes the truck look better. Only regret: not getting the 4" to start! Might have to ask for that for Christmas...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts