Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my Commander Trail Rated, 4.7L ...4 days ago....I am interested in everyones opinion on the QuadraTrac II 4 wheel drive system.....How does it handle/work in the sand?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
witzigmanj said:
Purchased my Commander Trail Rated, 4.7L ...4 days ago....I am interested in everyones opinion on the QuadraTrac II 4 wheel drive system.....How does it handle/work in the sand?

Thanks
It should be just fine. Turn off the ESP stuff before you get in the sand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,516 Posts
Have driven mine on the Outerbanks of NC several times. Lower your tire pressurs to 20-22 PSI and you will have no problems. I watch the temp guage it it runs hot go lower. As stated turn off your ESP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I'll second that. We have the 4.7 and QTII. We had no trouble on the outer banks this year, we just aired down to 20 psi and turned off the esp. Even did well in south avon, which is some of the softest sand. I found that using the autostick helped a little also. It seemed to want to shift up early, and keeping the revs higher gave us more control.

If you park on the beach, when you get where you want, pull forward another 10-15 feet, then back up. It helps you to get moving before you start plowing new sand. Don't know if it's a proven technique, but someone showed me about 20 years ago when I had my CJ7 and I've been doing it since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
2Jeeps said:
Why should you turn off the ESP? Just currious..
ESP should be turned off for off-road use. ESP is programmed to make corrections for normal on-road driving. Those calculations can get you stuck in an off-road situation which is why Jeep makes an off switch the disables nearly all the ESP controls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I just do it because the owner's manual says to do it. I think it has something to do with feeling wheels spin? I do know that I forgot to turn it off once, and I buried the Jeep pretty quickly. As soon as I turned esp off, it pulled right out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I was under the understanding that ESP transfered traction from a sliping wheel to a wheel with traction? I did read in the book that you should turn it off if you desired a little wheel spin in loose gravel etc... but that sounds to me like you would want ESP on during an off road situation, like sand or gravel? Im just not used to this fancy 4x4 system, my wrangler, the only time I want an unlocked axle is on a tight trail next to a cliff in a tight turn... I like turning in that situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
surfdogs said:
I just do it because the owner's manual says to do it. I think it has something to do with feeling wheels spin? I do know that I forgot to turn it off once, and I buried the Jeep pretty quickly. As soon as I turned esp off, it pulled right out.
Cool, that makes me want to give it a try.. I love that kind of stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
surfdogs said:
I just do it because the owner's manual says to do it. I think it has something to do with feeling wheels spin? I do know that I forgot to turn it off once, and I buried the Jeep pretty quickly. As soon as I turned esp off, it pulled right out.
I got my '72 Toyota Corolla stuck on Fistral Beach in Cornwall when I was working the summer season as a fresh faced 19 year old in 1990. Heading to a beach party at about midnight. Had visions of it being stuck there the next day when the beach would have been full of holidaymakers. Luckily managed to build a road out of some chesnut-pale fencing we found in the dunes. What made it worse is that all the help at hand were various stages of drunkedness and were loving the fact that I was stressing out. Happy days!!:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,559 Posts
I have never turned mine off, I guess I missed that part where you are too turn it off when you are off roading. I managed the trails with in on with no problems and no slipping anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
I have never turned mine off, I guess I missed that part where you are too turn it off when you are off roading. I managed the trails with in on with no problems and no slipping anyway.
:) Then the trails you are on aren't tough enough! :-D If you put the vehicle in low range it disables the ESP anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,516 Posts
I did not turn mine off the first time I was in deep sand, but did head a noise, which sounded like the ABS, when I tried to turn out of deep ruts. I am going to the OBX at the end of Oct and I will see if there is a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Creek said:
I did not turn mine off the first time I was in deep sand, but did head a noise, which sounded like the ABS, when I tried to turn out of deep ruts. I am going to the OBX at the end of Oct and I will see if there is a difference.
Creek,

Turning it off won't get rid of the noise, I tried it when I had mine on the OBX for the fist time in August - still happens. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I don't know what it is. I highly recommend shifting to 4 low for the sand. Whatever that noise is does not happen and it is much easier on the transmission. The vehicle just plain runs better on deep sand in 4 low. If you got 4 low, why not use it?!

P.s. - Are you the same Creek from the RDT Board? (I'm Bean Counter on RDT)

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
SupremeCommander said:
Creek,

Turning it off won't get rid of the noise, I tried it when I had mine on the OBX for the fist time in August - still happens. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I don't know what it is. I highly recommend shifting to 4 low for the sand. Whatever that noise is does not happen and it is much easier on the transmission. The vehicle just plain runs better on deep sand in 4 low. If you got 4 low, why not use it?!

P.s. - Are you the same Creek from the RDT Board? (I'm Bean Counter on RDT)

Scott
How are you turning it off SupremeCommander? Do you just press the button or do you press and hold?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,516 Posts
P.s. - Are you the same Creek from the RDT Board? (I'm Bean Counter on RDT)

Scott

I am the same and I also grew up in PGH. Small world isn't it.

Bob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,559 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
:) Then the trails you are on aren't tough enough! :-D If you put the vehicle in low range it disables the ESP anyway.
That is good to know, I use the auto shift lever a lot but have only had to put it in 4 low on one occassion.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top