Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try the GF chip for 69$? Looking to get a little more power out of my 06 with 4.7. It is pretty much stock except for 2.25 RR lift and 265 65 17 nitto terra grapplers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
No, and for good reason. You get what you pay for, the price says it's an imitation. Save your money and buy name brand.

·
Registered
417 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Let me know if you find any good tunes for the 4.7

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is even worth tuning? Should I just do the cai and an exhaust and call it good? Bobula, did the programmer make much of a difference? Is it worth the money?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a superchip and it's okay. I did the 87 performance setting. Just feels like it holds the lower gears longer. I'm also running an AEM CAI. I havn't got into all the other settings of the flashpaq, but do like how you can read and clear DTC codes with it. I'm sure there is a thread on it that you could browse and see what other members think.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It is even worth tuning? Should I just do the cai and an exhaust and call it good? Bobula, did the programmer make much of a difference? Is it worth the money?
Absolutely. I got at least one more mpg (after the lift and tires) and most definitely more power and I'm only using the 87 tune. I don't even have any other engine mods yet. Add to that - the ability to change shift firmness, tire size look at error codes and several other things makes the Predator a shoe-in for me.

I owned the Predator on 2 other HEMIs in Magnums as well. A mostly stock 5.7 and a head/cam/intake/exhaust 6.1 making about 520 hp. Made verying levels of difference depending on the other mods done with it.

The Predator is generally seen as the tuner that has cracked Chrysler code effectively and gets real performance gains out of the HEMI.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone. I emailed diablo to see if they have one for the 4.7. I will let everyone know.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Anyone try the GF chip for 69$? Looking to get a little more power out of my 06 with 4.7. It is pretty much stock except for 2.25 RR lift and 265 65 17 nitto terra grapplers.
Is that the Girl Friend chip ? Makes 'em do what you want to do ? And $69 -- what a coincidence !:rofl:

·
Banned
389 Posts
I have a superchip and it's okay. I did the 87 performance setting. Just feels like it holds the lower gears longer. I'm also running an AEM CAI. I havn't got into all the other settings of the flashpaq, but do like how you can read and clear DTC codes with it. I'm sure there is a thread on it that you could browse and see what other members think.
I know the Flashpaq tune for my 4.7 L is very limited, most of the things that can be adjusted on other vehicles (like fan temp. on/off settings) cannot be adjusted on mine. I was impressed with the extra 20 hp. from the tune, but the advertised firm shifts for the transmission just don't go nearly far enough for my liking. Don't get me wrong, it does firm up the shifts, but snappy isn't a word I'd use for the improvements. I've looked all over for opinions on the B&M product Trick Shift and its ability to be used in the electronic controlled trans. like my 5 speed in my Commander. I've used Trick Shift in every other trans. I've had in every vehicle in the past, its a clear fluid which dramatically alters the fluid dynamics inside the trans. allowing for much firmer shifts (aka shift kit in a bottle). Well I've heard both good and bad about it from mechanics online concerning the usage in electronically controlled trans. I'm going to experiment with using a quart of it on my first trans. fluid change this summer. I plan on vacuuming out 6 qts (I understand that is about all your gonna be able to pull out without dropping the pan) replacing the fluid w/ a quart of Trick Shift then the rest with the pre-requisite ATF+4. I'll break it in slowly running around town, then I'll jump on it some to see if there is a difference. If I experience one second of trouble, or anything weird I'll immediately vacuum out the trans. and replace with all ATF+4. I'm hoping my experiment works because the faster you can get your trans. to shift the less friction (and wear) will take place inside. Since my engine does not make enough power to actually hurt this trans. a faster shift still won't build enough internal pressure to do any kind of damage so I am not at all worried about that. I am only a little concerned that altering the viscosity of the fluid with the added quart of Trick Shift may throw the computer shifts into a confused state, but I won't know this until I give it a try. I will update after doing this. I plan on doing this when I change my plugs at 25K mi. (gonna also upgrade to iridium so I don't have to change plugs for a very long time since I am changing 16 plugs and its gonna be a hassle to get to the bottom bank ones) and I currently have 23,500 mi. on it so that will be sometime in the next couple months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts