Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to find a good place to mount my ARB #CKMA12 Air Compressor in the engine compartment of my Commander. As you all know, it can be tight in there.

I found two possible locations that keep the compressor mounted high. One behind the radiator overflow tank on the passenger side and the other between the brake reservoir and the engine on the drivers side.

I also looked for any available mounting brackets for our XK's or WK's, none found. But there is one for the JK that mounts off the brake booster and the brake reservoir.

http://www.oneofffabrication.com/oof-temp-001_003.htm

I purchased the short version #OOF-JK-SHORT.

When I ordered it I was thinking maybe the mounting holes would be similar between vehicles. The holes are different, with our's being closer together. Also the compressor will not mount as shown in the website I had to rotate it 90 degrees with the pump end of the compressor pointed toward the engine.

What I ended up doing was slotting the bracket mounting holes, using washers between the bracket and brake reservoir and also washers under the nuts.
I used one of the bracket's compressor mounting holes. But had to drill three new holes, which I used the ARB back up plate as a template to drill the holes. This lets you mount compressor at 90 degrees. Otherwise it will not fit.

Here is a picture describing the bracket changes.

Tomorrow I should be able to post some pictures of the compressor mounted in position.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the pictures of the mounted ARB Compressor.

I had to remote mount the compressor's air filter, otherwise it would have been rubbing on a couple engine hoses. I used a barbed fitting, hose and hose clamps. I attached the air filter next to the fuse box. I also had to loosen the compressor's clamp mount and slide the compressor over toward the engine to clear the sensor plug wiring on the brake reservoir.

Sal, yes I am adding an ARB rear locker, I picked the ARB CKMA12 Air Compressor for it's small size and it's ability to air up tires as well.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts