Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:grim:Just read a number of web sites where there are lots of negative reviews and comments on the Commander, mostly on the 06& 07 model years but not limited to just those models. Everything from bad bolts in exhaust manifold to leaks and problems with door handles. Seems by the 09 &10 model years Jeep got there act togegher and those years were much better. Here are links to some of the pages I read.
http://www.jeepreviews.com/jeep-reviews/377/jeep-commander-reviews/

http://repairpal.com/exhaust-manifold-bolts-may-break-840

https://www.silkies.com/pdf/CatalogPDF09.pdf

There are a number of five star reviews but there are more negative reviews.
There were more pages but they are all about the same.
I am still interested in a Commander but will stay away from the 06-07 and see if I can find a -9-10 in my are that I can afford to buy.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Most internet posts are negative, people usually do not post when everything is OK. I have an 06 and have not had any of the problems listed in all the posts. Original door handles are fine, no exhaust bolt problems. But mine has always been kept in a garage and I do regular maintenance. Count the people posting problems and multiply be 10 and then divide into the number of Commanders built and it would be a very low percent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Door handles are an easy fix with the right tools and some bondo or fiberglass . my knee sits in perfect relationship and pounded out three before tapping the backside or them up . Exhaust bolts never had any problem "YET" .

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have an 06 model with over 200k miles on it. I don't have a garage so it doesn't get protection from the weather. I haven't had any major problems with my Commander, mostly just normal maintenance. My Commander is my daily driver and is also used to get my boats to the lake or down to the coast.

I'm upset that they discontinued the Commander as I won't be able to replace this one with another when the current one wears out.

John

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
You're reading a list of "common" problems in earlier Commanders, common as in it is more likely to occur than other problems, but by no means it will occur on all Commanders, especially later ones.

The Commander probably falls into average or slightly better for reliability/dependability. They have more problems that require a repair than some, and require repair less than some. By no means are they a nightmare that always breaks down.

Other common problems are corrosion on the starter motor cables that cause it to fail to start, just cleaning the cable ends fix it. HVAC unit breaking a plastic gear so airflow doesn't work correct seems more common than most, an easy fix. AC evaporators developing leaks seems a little more common than most vehicles, most will never have a leak.

I have NOT had a single problem with my 2010 Commander except for the AC evaporator developing a leak. Of course my battery went dead and needed replaced, that is very common for a 4-5 year old car, and doesn't count toward reliability/dependabity in my book.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mongo:
Here is a link to a page that shows that your 2010 has the least amount of complaints.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/
I have been looking at the 2006 models, all that I can afford without having a car payment which I don't want.
I can afford to maintain my cars and keep them running, I drive a 17 year old and my wife a 18 both run good for there age, but if I have any large repair bills it will put a strain on my fixed income.

If I could find a 2010 at a price that I could pay cash I would buy it with no problem, I still like the Commander, just not a 2006 at this time unless I find one owned by someone I know and know its history.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 2006 Has't given me any problems except an ignition switch that they have a recall on and their famous N23 recall for the transfer case motor. Even that appears to finally been taken care of. My ONLY complaints are poor Hemi gas mileage aggrevated by a small fuel tank.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow, I guess I do have the horror story Commander. I have 2006 with the 4.7L 4x4 of course, which I bought new. Everything mentioned has happened to me. I have replaced 3 of 4 door handles, which was an easy fix, and actually do work better; my exhaust manifold had a leak that got replaced under warranty, but three bolts snapped and they fixed that but not easy; i am on water pump #4, but again covered under warranty; and definitely the HVAC recirculating/vent gear is broke and have dealt with it for a couple years now, finally been thinking about fixing that, seems easy enough. But I will tell you, its the best Jeep I've owned. It looks bad azz with the lift and tires. It is a beast off road, yet smooth and sweet on road. I've sucked water into the engine, taken the plugs out, cranked it and spit the water right out of the cylinders, put the plugs back in, and continued eating up the trails. It still hums and idles so smooth you wouldn't think its on. Im a member of two off road Jeep clubs and they both are always amazed when I take the Beast out. They love seeing out getting dirty and conquering what I throw at it. Loyal to changing the oil every 3K miles, and the other oils as needed, every fifth gas stop I feed it 93 octane to get everything clean (I learned this from dad), Ive taking it top speed to 121mph one time and 118mph another time and felt at ease and very confident every time. I trust it enough to carry my 2 year old in it every day. Just today I hit 158,000 miles on the odometer and it is still a very good vehicle, which to me rates above many others. I guess the key is to treat it well and it will treat you well and also to make it your own and enjoy it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I never knew there are lot more bad reviews about commander, little I read before I got mine. This '06 commander 4wd I got for about 4 months now barely had problems, she got around 120kmiles on odo when I got her yet running good.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Best running/driveing Jeep i've ever owned... and i've had quiet a few of the common issues the earlier models are dogged with, and maybe a couple more. Hey, any first year vehicle is bound to have some quirks and hiccups along the way. As much as a despise internet and social media, its been a "vehicle saver" here. Go for what you can afford. You wont regret it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
2007 model, almost to 100K miles, always sits outdoors in SoCal sun and heat. Worst problem has been clogged sunroof drains.

Love this thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Id like to know why they don't do a recall on the drain tubes and replace them with different ones seeing how this happens in ALL jeep models. I've had nothin but issues with my 08XK ...and I don't mind minor stuff but I'm finding myself running to dealer to leave for them to try and fix they've had my jeep as much as I have since I've owned it. Normal wear and tear or exhaust stuff I can handle but transmission going to limp mode with 56k miles on it and the enormous amount of water that leaks into XK is not acceptable. I've owned 5 other cars and combined they've had less problems then this XK lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would but I just bought the vehicle 3 weeks ago. And they already took care of the transmission. They are aware of the sunroof leaks and even said its common problem with all jeeps they've seen so they know how to fix just have to get vehicle in to be fixed. But its the idea of all these XK owners and so many issues with the XK design and Chrysler just turns it head and says your problem not ours. And yesterday the rear driver side door is now not unlocking or opening. So if this dealer doesn't fix them then yeah I will go elsewhere and send him the bill. Hes been good so far but pissed me off cause they are like " sounds like a lazy actuator that doesn't work when its cold so you can either just deal with it for the winter or we can order and put in?" Im like ummmmmm "I want it replaced...he said yes they will cause I've been thru enough." Just waiting to see what else will go wrong with the XK :mofo:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been hesitant to post in this thread, for fear of jinxing myself. :grim:

My particular XK is an '06, which I've owned for about 11 months now. It had 49k miles on it when I bought it, which works out to about 6k miles / year before I got it. But in these 11 months I've added 33k miles to it.

With that as context, I have to admit that it hasn't been horrible. I suspect my vehicle spent long periods of time not being driven at all. (I bought it out of a resort-town, from the original owner) I think alot of things went bad on it from simply sitting. Seals, rubber, shocks, etc etc.

With the exception of a rear window that all of the sudden works again and I don't know why (or HOW, since I've reversed the wires) it's pretty well sorted out now.

I'll admit that I still miss my Mercedes for comfort, off-road ability, reliability and safety. But this is a good car, and I'll have to enjoy it for another 5 years or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an '06 5.7 that I bought new with 53k miles on it. I have had a fairly high number of problems. Water leaking from sunroof on to floor, broken exhaust studs that I think the dealer waited until the warranty was over before telling me about, newly developed a stalling problem, and transmission is either slipping or taking too long to change gears. It also goes through brake rotors like they are potato chips.

I am hoping the stalling and transmission problems are connected and maybe due to the need for maintenance. These just happened so I haven't had a chance to get it to the shop.

I really like the Commander for what it is. I do think this is a fairly high number of issues for a car having so little miles on it. And, FWIW, we also have a, '05 3.7 Grand Cherokee with huge sunroof leaking problem, and an '06 Grand Cherokee 5.7 that needed a transmission replacement. So, while you may not get hit with all problems on one car, chances seem to be that you will have some issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah tha'ts absurd thing about JEEPS in general!!! Ok in the WHOLE AUTO INDUSTRY(MAKERS) ....al the other cars/suv/trucks out there that have sunroofs .....and are anywhere from new-30years old they DON NOT have the leaks like the jeeps. You would think Chrysler would have a same BASIC design for the drains as the other sunroof/makers/models on the market. MAKES NO SENSE what so ever!!!! So why not fix it. instead of having people bring it back in to them over and over to be fixed wasting labor spots on other more pressing issues?? Just goes to show the IGNORANCE of Chrysler:headbang: lol!!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Is the problem Chrysler (now FCA) or is it the Chrysler/Jeep Dealerships, and you might note with the Government takeover of Chrysler they closed many dealerships right along political lines, NOT business lines.

Personally, I avoid Chrysler/Jeep Dealership service like the plague, and I don't seem to have any problems.

If you didn't know, most manufacturer's are usually constantly frustrated with their dealerships. They are independently own franchises the manufacturer has little control over. Dealerships, usually being the most lucrative business in most communities, with the owners being the richest people of the community, carry a lot of political clout and they garner that to get politicians to pass laws empowering them over the manufacturers and limiting competition.

I've had a AC evaporator spring a leak, that is a hit on quality, I did NOT have it repaired at a dealership and I have NOT had to take it back again and again. I have had no other problems with my Jeep other than a gas cap leaking pressure to set off the CEL, which was fixed with a new gas cap. Car Batteries don't count, it lasted as long as typical and I replaced it myself.

If I was the CEO of Chrysler, I would put the fear of God in my Dealerships by telling them, that Chrysler is going to break the mold of the rest of the industry, we are removing your near monopoly on vehicle service, we will be making troubleshooting and repair information available free or cheaply to owners and independent shops, we are going to start releasing our electronic communications protocols and making the diagnostics tools available at a fair price to owners and independent shops. If they did that, guarantee half the dealerships would go out of business and the other half would suddenly turn their service departments around and start providing quality service and repair.

·
1,993 Posts
I say all the time these Jeeps are maintenance intensive. But if proper maintenance is followed most of these issues don't happen.

My logic is this. The group I hang with and consult with most are the ones modifying our Jeeps. No this doesn't make us better then anyone else its just what we love to do. But it also means we are putting are Jeeps through a hell most people are not and never will. We're abusing are Jeeps to the point of part failure. This gives us a pretty good insight to how good or horrible stuff is on the XK. We also take really good care of our Jeeps performing our maintenance religiously because of that abuse. We have a pretty good handle now on what parts will wear out faster then others. Axles and transmissions that have their maintenance done are not wearing out. Mostly half shafts, ball joints,hubs and a couple rack failures. One or two transfer cases have cracked and those were on some tough trails after years of abuse. Take it for its worth just passing on what I've learned over the years.

Sunroof Leak A lot of us blow out are sun roof drain lines twice a year because we know its a issue. Its a five minuet job at most and that solves the problem. Don't wait for you floor to fill with water just add this to you maintenance.

Brakes Another maintenance issue. If you're going threw brake pads or rotors that quickly its really your fault. Either you're putting on some really cheap parts that can't handle the weight of the Jeep. Or its the way you drive!

Transmissions Maintenance again. Yes transmissions will go bad and have issues but a majority of the time its maintenance. Their are plenty of us that have big tires and lifts and off road all time with no trans issues. Their is nothing on these Jeeps that have a 100k miles service interval. I change my diff fluid every 15K and transfer case fluid every 20K Trans I do every 20k to 30K depending on how hard I've been on it.

Door handels Known issue and nothing we can do about it either. But their are only four of them LOL

Exhaust manifold Known issue and again nothing you can do but have them changed early before the bolts seize. I believe it was the two different metals interaction with each other that caused the issue.

Stalling issues Usually a maintenance issue. Most people don't clean and service their sensors and throttle body until they have a issue which its usually to late by then. I've seen plenty of XK owners post pics of their stuff trying to diagnose a issue and their parts area all corroded up.

Dealers I agree with most of the stuff mongo posts about them and the monopoly of computer systems. But they are like any other business out their some are garbage and a limited number of them are pretty good. I have dealer to go to when I need to that's pretty good. I know a few of the techs in their are in the same jeep club as me. You have to shop around and find a good one.

Most but not all people on here are buying their XK's used. That means you inherit all the problems of the previous owner. With all the maintenance these Jeeps need do you really believe these people kept that all up. Or just drove the crap out of it maybe just changing the oil and calling it good. I've purchased two XK's used now. The first thing they both got was a complete fluid change. I usually spend the first three months after buying it doing every maintenance I can think off to catch up and have a fresh base line to start from.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I say all the time these Jeeps are maintenance intensive. But if proper maintenance is followed most of these issues don't happen.

My logic is this. The group I hang with and consult with most are the ones modifying our Jeeps. No this doesn't make us better then anyone else its just what we love to do. But it also means we are putting are Jeeps through a hell most people are not and never will. We're abusing are Jeeps to the point of part failure. This gives us a pretty good insight to how good or horrible stuff is on the XK. We also take really good care of our Jeeps performing our maintenance religiously because of that abuse. We have a pretty good handle now on what parts will wear out faster then others. Axles and transmissions that have their maintenance done are not wearing out. Mostly half shafts, ball joints,hubs and a couple rack failures. One or two transfer cases have cracked and those were on some tough trails after years of abuse. Take it for its worth just passing on what I've learned over the years.

Sunroof Leak A lot of us blow out are sun roof drain lines twice a year because we know its a issue. Its a five minuet job at most and that solves the problem. Don't wait for you floor to fill with water just add this to you maintenance.

Brakes Another maintenance issue. If you're going threw brake pads or rotors that quickly its really your fault. Either you're putting on some really cheap parts that can't handle the weight of the Jeep. Or its the way you drive!

Transmissions Maintenance again. Yes transmissions will go bad and have issues but a majority of the time its maintenance. Their are plenty of us that have big tires and lifts and off road all time with no trans issues. Their is nothing on these Jeeps that have a 100k miles service interval. I change my diff fluid every 15K and transfer case fluid every 20K Trans I do every 20k to 30K depending on how hard I've been on it.

Door handels Known issue and nothing we can do about it either. But their are only four of them LOL

Exhaust manifold Known issue and again nothing you can do but have them changed early before the bolts seize. I believe it was the two different metals interaction with each other that caused the issue.

Stalling issues Usually a maintenance issue. Most people don't clean and service their sensors and throttle body until they have a issue which its usually to late by then. I've seen plenty of XK owners post pics of their stuff trying to diagnose a issue and their parts area all corroded up.

Dealers I agree with most of the stuff mongo posts about them and the monopoly of computer systems. But they are like any other business out their some are garbage and a limited number of them are pretty good. I have dealer to go to when I need to that's pretty good. I know a few of the techs in their are in the same jeep club as me. You have to shop around and find a good one.

Most but not all people on here are buying their XK's used. That means you inherit all the problems of the previous owner. With all the maintenance these Jeeps need do you really believe these people kept that all up. Or just drove the crap out of it maybe just changing the oil and calling it good. I've purchased two XK's used now. The first thing they both got was a complete fluid change. I usually spend the first three months after buying it doing every maintenance I can think off to catch up and have a fresh base line to start from.
Well said Sal! :banana_hitit:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts