Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're having some issues with the commander and are taking it to the dealership later this week. Am I the only one with this many problems?
1. Engine has a hard time starting when warm. Sometimes the engine has to turn over for over 10 seconds before starting. When cooled down for a few hours the engine starts after a couple of turns like it is supposed to but 90% of the time when warm it takes extended cranking time to start.
Sometimes the engine will start a little, try to die and then it starts cranking some more until it starts. It has been doing this for 5 months and we're concerned it is going to wear out the starter motor.
2. The Front passenger door speaker rattles really bad if you turn the volume up past 9 or 10 on the radio. I believe the speaker is either loose or it has gone bad.
3. The Tire pressure monitoring system has something wrong with it. Every 10 minutes the dash chimes and the tire pressure light flashes on and off for 10 minutes. Per the owners manual, if it does this there is a system fault. It has been doing this for 2 weeks.
4. The Front Driver side window often fails to roll up. It will roll down fine but when trying to roll it back up sometimes it rolls up half way and then rolls back down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had my Jeep for about 3 weeks and have been experiencing the problem you detailed in #4, in that the driver side window seems to catch half-way up.. It's very annoying, but I've not had it looked at by the dealer. Let me know what they find.

Brent

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I can speak on number four. There is most likely a bad regulator in the door that controls the window auto up feature.

I had the problem with the passenger front and when I took it to the dealer they replaced both sides, passenger and driver, even though I was not having issues with the driver side.

The regulator was redesigned is the reason the dealer said they did it.

I think they were just treating me real good.

·
Registered
452 Posts
To follow-up on your list:
1.) The 'extended-startup' only occurs on cold starts though. Has probably happened to me like five times over a year already. Would be hard to duplicate at the dealer.
2.) Thus far the left rear speaker/door does that; I'll bring it in some time later when I have other issues to have work on.
3.) Never had that before; I take it you probably have the sport model?
4.) At least it's your driver's door; I've had both front window regulators replaced; it's a common problem that they have a TSB out for. Get'em replaced! It was kinda funny the first few times... but after a while, it's annoying.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
XKJeep06 said:
To follow-up on your list:
1.) The 'extended-startup' only occurs on cold starts though. Has probably happened to me like five times over a year already. Would be hard to duplicate at the dealer.
Battery... I just dumped the battery in my Cherokee because it was doing the same thing. It was a Mopar battery that was only 11 months old. I got a Optima Red Top and the problem was gone.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
On number two, I thought I had the same problem, but my wife had put some junk in the storage comparment next to the speaker and that is what was making it rattle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I almost forgot another problem...when lightly braking...like at a drive-thru, the brakes squeal!!! The jeep only has 8000 miles on it!

As far at the battery being the starting problem...it cranks over fine,,,just cranks forever before starting...but only when the motor is warm...i can duplicate it any time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Our brakes squeal a little too, but when I did my last rotation, I found my back right rotor had a small groove that I hope can be resurfaced when I need new brakes.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Wenied said:
I almost forgot another problem...when lightly braking...like at a drive-thru, the brakes squeal!!! The jeep only has 8000 miles on it!

As far at the battery being the starting problem...it cranks over fine,,,just cranks forever before starting...but only when the motor is warm...i can duplicate it any time.
Doesn't mean it isn't the battery though. How long have you had it and what year is it?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
For number 4 lower the window then close it and hold the button in up position for 10-15 seconds then lower and hold in down position 10-15 seconds. This my help to reset it. The procedure is outlined in my 06 owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
1. As others have said, probably battery. Again what year and how long have you had the vehicle?
2. Bass could be set too high, but that shouldn't matter. Replace under dealer warranty, or just upgrade your speakers.
3. Have you checked tire pressures? Including the spare?
4. Like Creek said, try to recalibrate, likely you'll need to do as many of us have and take it to the dealer for new window regulator(s)

·
Registered
476 Posts
LBCBJ said:
I've had my Jeep for about 3 weeks and have been experiencing the problem you detailed in #4, in that the driver side window seems to catch half-way up.. It's very annoying, but I've not had it looked at by the dealer. Let me know what they find.

Brent
There is a TSB for the window issue. You can find it at the link below, along with all other TSBs for the XK.

Good Luck :D

http://xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it's a 2007 with 8000 miles. We bought it brand new in june of 07.

The dealership has it now. I'll let you know what they do.

I'm still having a hard time understanding how the batter could cause the starting problem. The motor cranks properly, just takes forever to fire up sometimes.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It could have enough juice to crank the engine, but not be putting enough volts out to power the computer correctly. It may also be a bad PCM, but the battery is the logical place for them to start since it's much cheaper and easy to get to. Purchased in June 2007, could have been built as early as mid 2006, wouldn't be unheard of for a battery to fail in that amount of time. For your sake I hope that's what it is since it will be the speediest resolution for you.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Wenied said:
it's a 2007 with 8000 miles. We bought it brand new in june of 07.

The dealership has it now. I'll let you know what they do.

I'm still having a hard time understanding how the batter could cause the starting problem. The motor cranks properly, just takes forever to fire up sometimes.
I've had weirder issues caused on my Cherokee by bad batteries -- like being able to start the vehicle but having it die as soon as it starts, slow starts, etc. Also, do you keep your vehicle in the garage. From my experience Mopar batteries in a non-garage kept vehicle last about a year. :mad: I still have the original Mopar in my XK with no problems (it is garage kept) but on my Cherokee I went through a bunch of Mopar batteries and just ditched the last one for a Red Top Optima.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I once had a car that I parked and turned off. Then the headlights came on, hazard lights started flashing, and the horn started honking and it wouldn't start. It was a bad battery. Luckily I had just parked at the mall, right by Sears.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update!!

I got a call from the dealership yesterday. They looked over the jeep and figured out all of the problems.

The fuel pump is not producing sufficient pressure, so they are replacing it. This will solve the starting issue.

The Tire pressure monitor needed a reset supposedly. They say it works fine now.

The window regulator is being replaced to fix the problem rolling it up.

The front passenger door speaker is being replaced.

Should have it back today they say!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Wow, it seem like there was really a problem with everything you listed. Hope everything gets fixed correctly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CrzCajun said:
Wow, it seem like there was really a problem with everything you listed. Hope everything gets fixed correctly.
Yep...I'll go pick it up in a few hours. I hope the fixed it all properly!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts