Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason my headlights went crazy tonight, they were constantly popping up/down while driving or sitting still. I opened the hood and wiggled the wiring behind the headlight buckets and they stopped the up/down motion and seem to be operating properly.

Has anyone else had these issues with their headlights?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
are these aftermarket headlights? I didnt think commanders came with auto leveling headlights...

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
are these aftermarket headlights? I didnt think commanders came with auto leveling headlights...
They are factory headlights. They started with the 2009 models that have the HID option.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Maybe your commander just wants to look around a bit. was there a nice looking Wrangler in front of you? lol

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, mine s a 09 with the factory HID's. I'm getting ready to head out to work, I'll see if the headlights want to cooperate this am.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have followed up on the thread. The headlights have functioned perfectly since that one time. Must have been a little software glitch somewhere. I'll mention it at the next oil change but I'm not really concerned with it.

If it aint broke don't fix it!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They started acting up again tonight while driving back from Richmond on I-64. It was aggravating for me so I can imagine that the motorists in front of me were not happy with the up/down motion of the lights. Everyone was getting out of my way thats for sure, I guess they thought I was flashing my lights at them!

Its going to the dealer to get this resolved soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
similar issue

i am having a similar issue with my auto leveling headlights. They are just pointed down at the ground. They will occasionally focus up for a minute or two and the go back to the ground. Did you ever find a way to fix this issue? it has been going on for a couple weeks now and i am pretty annoyed by it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am having a similar issue with my auto leveling headlights. They are just pointed down at the ground. They will occasionally focus up for a minute or two and the go back to the ground. Did you ever find a way to fix this issue? it has been going on for a couple weeks now and i am pretty annoyed by it.
Sorry for not following up on this. Mine are still acting up almost all of the time and I will be dropping it off at the dealer soon. I have taken it to the dealer once for this issue and they did nothing to fix it! they had no clue what the issue was?

My headlights are so bad that the up-down motion of the lights annoys and distracts me. I have found that if I find a bump in the road or drift over to the rumble strips they will stop in the down position at least. This will only last until I have to accelerate/brake then the madness starts again.

Anyone else had this issue and if so what did the dealer do to remedy the issue.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Jeep is at the dealer.

They are unable to fix the Auto Leveling headlights because apparently there is no one at Chrysler that knows where the control module for the headlights is at! They think it is in one of the headlight modules so they are replacing both.

My 09 with auto leveling HID's is a rare bird. They ordered both headlight assemblies today hoping that fixes the issue. The headlight assemblies are 2k each, I saw the invoice!

Why the hell did I have to buy something that is "rare", I'll never be able to fix this thing after it goes out of warranty.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, they just found the control module for the headlights. The jeep engineers told them it was behind the left light but they found it behind the right light!

The engineers were close huh!

The control module is called a "HID Ballast Module" and is a $380 part. So it looks like the headlights are okay and won't need replacing after all.

Now if they can fix my TPMS system that has gone nuts as well, then there is the brakes that sometimes work......

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fixed!

The control module for the HID/Auto levelers is behind the right headlamp assembly, even though the Jeep engineers and FSM says its behind the left one!

They replaced the module and all is good, the module is $400

Bad news is the technician ripped the leather on my center console arm rest/cover. The SM tried to weasel out of it but a quick meeting with the GM, a friend of mine, made quick work of getting a new arm rest on order.

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
Fixed!

The control module for the HID/Auto levelers is behind the right headlamp assembly, even though the Jeep engineers and FSM says its behind the left one!

They replaced the module and all is good, the module is $400

Bad news is the technician ripped the leather on my center console arm rest/cover. The SM tried to weasel out of it but a quick meeting with the GM, a friend of mine, made quick work of getting a new arm rest on order.
Do you mean driver's side or passenger side ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts