Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to convert the XK from automatic to manual transmission by swapping for a XJ or JK transmission and transfer case?

P.S. F*** the electronics I want control of the transfer case.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Do you not have the auto-stick ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not currently own a Commander. I do plan to purchase one in the near future. I currently have a Cherokee and I love having a manual with a clutch and mechanical control of the transfer case.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I do not currently own a Commander. I do plan to purchase one in the near future. I currently have a Cherokee and I love having a manual with a clutch and mechanical control of the transfer case.
The Commander has an auto-stick that allows you to manually choose the gear you want.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
He also wants a manual transfer case. Fantasy answer: anything's possible with enough time and money. Back here in reality, it'd be easier to find a manual Cherokee and wheel that.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Isn't the autostick the same as the every other automatic transmission. You know 1, 2, 3, drive/overdrive? You could manually shift them just the same. You select 2nd gear and you would start in second gear. So what's your point Jeep5253? Its a lazymans manual.

Philo, if you have the money anything is possible. You could use a 6 speed out of a 5.7l Ram HD with transfer case if it would fit in the tunnel. Computer? That's a whole different issue. If you figure out how let us know.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'd love to have a 6 speed manual transmission im the XK. But honestly, I dont think it could be done. To many electronics. Just my .02

·
1,993 Posts
I'd love to have a 6 speed manual transmission im the XK. But honestly, I dont think it could be done. To many electronics. Just my .02
I agree with the entire vehicle tied to together by a computer loosing on part like the T case would cause a ripple effect of problems.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
not to be a ****, but and auto stick is no 3 pedal monster that you can jam gears with
If you have QTII or QDII you don't need a manual transmission.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
That's your opinion, what does a QDII or QTII have to do with a manual transmission? That's a transfer case and differental.
Yep, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. And why are you still here ? You said your Commander was a POS.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Yep, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. And why are you still here ? You said your Commander was a POS.
Yhea I said that. That's my opinion after 4 transmission repairs for leaks, I think it was my money I spent also. That gives me the right to call it what ever I want. If you don't want me here BAN me!

The question is still what does a transfer case and dif have to due with manual or automatic?

Keep it civil.

·
Banned
115 Posts
If one was to install a 5 or 6 speed manual gearbox with a regular 2 speed transfer case, air locker front and rear dif, and manual locking hubs you could save wear and tear, have more control, and save on gas. Question is will anyone do it? I'm interested to see someone do it!

·
Banned
115 Posts
In the current configuration of QD and QD torque is applied as follows under normal driving conditions.
48% to the front
An
52% to the rear

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is it required? no...

Does that mean he might not prefer it? Certainly not.

To answer your question? Not easily...

The 3.7L comes with a manual, so you coudl swap in that setup from a wranger. (don't forget you have to deal with hacking sheetmetal for pedals, add a whole hydraulic system for teh clutch, then deal with getting the electronics functional, but you'll probably never get all the functions to work liek OEM)

if you've got a 4.7 or 5.7? It's even harder, as I don't think they came in a 4x4 manual setup. A manual from a Charger might work, but you'd have to custom adapt a transfer case to that. Did the Ram V8s come Manual and 4x4? I can't recall..

I think there was actually a 6spd Manual on teh 4.7L Dakotas for a few years (05-07 maybe?) but you'll still have the same systems to make work...

Sounds cool, but a lot of work.. Or a lot of $$ - depending how ya do it ;)

edit- they do exist! 4.7L Manual Ram 4x4... (elec controlled t-case still however)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-Dodge-Ram-1500-SXT-4X4-Quad-Cab-Manual-/260668433200?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cb10ca330#ht_21778wt_939

·
Registered
104 Posts
We already covered this, ram HD with a 5.7l came with a 6 speed manual option with a 2 speed manual transfer case.
Well nevermind then!

(sorry - I'm new :( )

·
Banned
115 Posts
If you really wanna make it cool put a air clutch on it. This would mean needing a air compressor with a tank. Could put the air clutch on the shifter. Then you also have the capability to air up tires on the trail. Don't forget the compressor would either be driven by belt or electrical.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
In the current configuration of QD and QD torque is applied as follows under normal driving conditions.
48% to the front
An
52% to the rear
Yeah, maybe during normal driving. When you shift to 4 low its 50/50 to the front and rear.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts