Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2006 XK 4.7L/ QTII. How do I find out which transmission I have? Looking at the capacities post, it seems that there is quite a difference between the 545RFE and NAG1 in terms of how much fluid I need to buy for a total drain and refill. Ive looked online and cant seem to find it, and the manual is like reading Greek or something. Just thought Id ask before I get all dirty looking under my car... Yes, I know its 4:30 in the morning (at least where I am) but I work the midnight shift, so Im part vampire anyway.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
338 Posts
If the transmission doesn't have a drain plug (most don't) and you think you might ever be doing this again, I would suggest getting one while at the autoparts store. It's a generic plug that you would drill a hole in the bottom of the pan then insert the plug. It is like a short bolt with a nut and a small hole throught the middle that has another bolt in it to plug it up.

In the future when you drain the fluid you open the plug rather than unbolting the pan and having all the oil ooze out from around the edges.

Makes it more akin to an engine oil change.

-Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the transmission doesn't have a drain plug (most don't) and you think you might ever be doing this again, I would suggest getting one while at the autoparts store. It's a generic plug that you would drill a hole in the bottom of the pan then insert the plug. It is like a short bolt with a nut and a small hole throught the middle that has another bolt in it to plug it up.

In the future when you drain the fluid you open the plug rather than unbolting the pan and having all the oil ooze out from around the edges.

Makes it more akin to an engine oil change.

-Tom
Cool, I didnt know they had something like that. Why dont they just do that when they design the darn thing in the first place? Unfortunately, Im planning to change the trans filters as well, so i have to drop the pan anyway- I might as well install a plug too. Thanks

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The reason drain plugs were eliminated is due to the fact most folks back then would change the oil but never the filters. Also, you were to adjust the bands while in there.
Forcing pan removal caused correct trans maintenence.

At least thats how it was presented to mechanics in 1963!!!! the first year of the no drain plug pans in most cars. (Damn....dated myself again).

Might have been to save a buck, but back then you really were able to service or maintain just about every sub assembly and construction expense control wasn't quite as fierce as it is today.

Rob

·
2,248 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Cool, I didnt know they had something like that. Why dont they just do that when they design the darn thing in the first place? Unfortunately, Im planning to change the trans filters as well, so i have to drop the pan anyway- I might as well install a plug too. Thanks
I'm not sure why they do lot's of things the way they do, except that it's designed by an engineer and not a mechanic. In other words, the guy designing it isn't the same guy that has to maintain it. I rub all the skin off my forearm every time I change the oil filter in my wife's Liberty with the 3.7...... I find myself asking that question everytime.

Even if you need to take the pan off, It's a lot nicer to take the oil out first.

-Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts