Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on how a bailout for Chrysler, with or without bankruptcy will affect present owners? Warranties? Service contracts? I'm no legal guy, but it doesn't sound very good for those with extended warranties.

This is the article that sparked my anxiety...

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/12/bankruptcy-and.html

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
Warranties and service contracts would have to be honored with either a bailout or a merger.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Most extended warranties are through companies other than Chrysler, so we should be good. At least mine is through a third party firm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
X Warranty

What about those of us who bought the "forever" warranty through Chrysler?

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
The only way a warranty is not going to be any good is if they go out of business. If they file Chapter 11 bankruptcy, get bought out, merge, or a govn't. bailout the warranties will still be good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Warranty question for uncertain times...

If I buy a 05-07 Grand or Commander and buy one of the extended warranties from chryslerwarranties.com(sp?) and Chrysler goes under or has to reorganize, is the warranty worthless?? I know I heard the bit about the government will stand behind gm's and chrysler warrantys on new cars if something happens(if I heard right...) but not sure on buying a used one and then buying an extended warranty. I guess I need to write the warranty company, but I'm sure they will give me a sugar coated answer.
I'd hate to spend all that money on one and have it be useless. Thought I'd post up if someone has some more insight or knows more than I.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
If I buy a 05-07 Grand or Commander and buy one of the extended warranties from chryslerwarranties.com(sp?) and Chrysler goes under or has to reorganize, is the warranty worthless?? I know I heard the bit about the government will stand behind gm's and chrysler warrantys on new cars if something happens(if I heard right...) but not sure on buying a used one and then buying an extended warranty. I guess I need to write the warranty company, but I'm sure they will give me a sugar coated answer.
I'd hate to spend all that money on one and have it be useless. Thought I'd post up if someone has some more insight or knows more than I.
Thanks,
Bill
Already got a thread for this subject: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6976&highlight=bankruptcy+warranty

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts