Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 limited and have intermittent A/C fan/blower issues. Sometimes it blows fine and works with the auto setting or manual. Sometimes the blower does not come on no matter what I try. All the rest of the controls still function, and when driving at speed it will blow vent air through wither hot or cold based on the temp setting, but the blower will not come on. Other times, I will be driving and suddenly it will start functioning again and work for days until returning to a comatose state.

Help or thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
I would suggest taking a look at the blower motor resistor, the resistor might've gone bad. Or another common issue with the blower motor resistor is the harness to the resistor sometimes gets burned. They're fairly easy to access, you just have to remove your glove box and they're directly behind it. While you're there you might also want to pull out your blower motor to inspect and clean it. I had all sorts of debris when I pulled mine out. Good luck!
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the harness and plugs...and all seemed fine with no signs of getting hot. Would it work intermittently if the resistor went out? I figured that would be an all or nothing. Next I will figure out how to remove the blower motor and check it out with direct power from the battery...

Thanks for the advice!
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered the fan resistor module from the dealer...waiting for it to arrive. Checked the harness and do not see any signs of heat on the connectors or wire shielding. Will post resolution when I find one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Like LuvMyCommander posted, the connector can get burnt contacts. I just cleaned mine for the second time in about 2 years. The fan would run on high and that was it. Twisting the connector shell would get the fan to work in all positions.
This time, I packed anti-seize compound in each socket of the female connector. Hopefully, it will eliminate the clearance and burning from arcing will stop.
Funky wiring- a Chrysler heritage.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
638 Posts
.
This time, I packed anti-seize compound in each socket of the female connector. Hopefully, it will eliminate the clearance and burning from arcing will stop.
Funky wiring- a Chrysler heritage.
Anti-seize??? should have used Dielectric grease.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
638 Posts
Is dielectric grease conductive?
No - it is what you put on spark plug wires so they come off easily - very high voltage. Also use it on light bulbs so they unscrew easily - especially ones way up high using a pole. Don't need a conductive grease - just want to keep the connection clean and not corroding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
The problem I have is the female connector has play in it. This allows arcing, and eventual build up of crap. You can readily see the burnt area. So I packed in the conductive antiseize to eliminate the gaps which allow the arcing. Guess I could cut some brass shim stock and reduce the gap that way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
638 Posts
Id say the best would be to replace the connector. In the old days we used to use mercury to make a better connection - don't think it is a good idea anymore. In high school science class the teacher would let us put mercury in our hands and pass it around - used to put it on pennies to turn them silver and carry in our pockets for who knows how long? Still kicking at 72 Oh and lead that's another story.
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oddly enough I am still waiting on mine to stop working again so I can change out the resistor pack to confirm that is my issue. It's been working for over a week with no issues. Go figure...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
It could be some connection too! Same with brother's issue, resistor loose totally fine but might had become loose due to vibration.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top