Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken out the 3rd row seats and fitted an auxilary fuel tank?

I think I might be doing this.

Would just like to know if there is anything to consider?

Thanks

·
2,248 Posts
I have done both. But not in the same place. If you do a search you will find a thread on the aux gas tank. I do not think it would be a good idea to use the space from the third row seat because you really do not want 30 gallons of gas inside your Commander.

Here is the link to the thread,

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7769&highlight=tank

Good luck

·
Registered
471 Posts
Huey's the man, look into his suggestion. Theres also a couple killer 3rd row storage box ideas ypu can find through him. Ill be looking into the aux gas tank in the future for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank Huey

The thing is, I'm not a fan of a sparewheel carrier on the rear.

I already have a roofrack, to carry another spare. When overlanding I like to take 2 spares. But I would like to take the extra fuel off the roofrack.

I have a CRD Commander.
Was think of boxing the fuel tank in with aluminium plate, thus isolating/closing/sealing it from the cabin.

Only problem would be the filler, and the feeder to main tank, as I would need to cut the floor.
In this position I might get away with gravity feed to main tank.

Thanks for your opinions. Please share thought and opinions on this.

·
2,248 Posts
Anything is possible if you can fabricate a sealed compartment. I was just pointing out that for normal use I would make sure that there is no danger of having fumes or actual gas spillage in the passenger area.

How about keeping the second spare in the third seat area, much safer to carry a spare tire in there that to carry gas in there.

Good luck whatever you do

·
Registered
471 Posts
For myself the second tank just isnt in the budget yet. And I dont like the idea of not having a spare like most people. What are your thoughts on a skinny wheel? same diameter/height but a thinner rim and tire as an option to save space, opposed to the full size spare we carry.
Would that work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For myself the second tank just isnt in the budget yet. And I dont like the idea of not having a spare like most people. What are your thoughts on a skinny wheel? same diameter/height but a thinner rim and tire as an option to save space, opposed to the full size spare we carry.
Would that work?
Thought about that. Problem is, in South Africa we don't get a skinny tyre which is same dia as 265/65R17.
Actually, I'm not sure if tyre manufaturers anywhere makes such a tyre.

The only negative I really see with my "inside" extra tank, is what will happen should the car be in an accident? This is the only reason I'm considering to let this idea to rest.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Damn. Ill look into the skinny wheel and see if I can find anything in canada or the us. I hopped I had a soloution there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts