Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I have found a solution for adding an auxiliary gas tank to my Commander. There is a business that is dedicated to performing this modification. I have purchased two auxiliary tanks in the past for different motor homes. I went by and talked to the owner this morning. When I first asked he said that he would not do it because there were several reasons not to do it on a late model gas vehicle. After he realized that I had bought two tank installations from him and we talked for awhile he came around and said he would do it just for me. I also got him to agree to put together complete kits that he would ship out of California. I talked with Ross about "Get Lost 4x4" becoming the dealer for these kits.

Now some of the details and resolved problems. The first reason he said that he did not want to install the second tank is because of an interesting fact about newer vehicles. He told me that the Commander has a small air compressor that is controlled by the computer that compares the fuel level from the sensors to the pressure reading from the compressor that puts air in the tank. The computer compares the pressure to the amount of fuel in the tank. This is why we get the engine code if the fuel tank cap is not sealed. He said that this code does not hurt anything and can be erased by removing the ground cable from the battery. Even better he said that if I get the code he will install ball valves in the filler lines to eliminate the code. The details of the setup include a 20 to 25 gallon tank in the spare tire location, a skid plate under the gas tank, using the same filler for both tanks by installing a "Y" connector, installing a second fuel gauge, and a switch up front.

The way the system will work is to allow filling from a common filler, the back tank will have a sending unit for the second gauge and a pump controlled by the front switch to recirculate the fuel from the rear tank to the front tank. A second line between the two tank will allow the fuel to circulate back to the rear tank if the front tank is full to eliminate any possibility of pumping gas out of an overful tank. Each gauge would show the level of fuel in each tank. The combined fuel capacity would probably be between 37 and 42 gallons. He also agreed to let me take pictures of the install and all parts to post on the Forum. This fellow has several Cherokee's that are set up for off road use.

Sorry for the long post.

I now need to get my tire relocated out of the spare area and mounted on a tire carrier and give him a couple of days to install it.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Any idea how much it would cost and how "regular" people could get them installed?

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to wait unit it is completed so so that I can give accurate numbers, but he gave me some ballpark numbers that made me very comfortable with the cost. I would like to support Ross by waiting to see what could be done with the kit cost.

I do not think the installation would be very hard as long as these professionals put together every small part needed and use my commander to insure that all of the dimensions are right on. I would anticipate that they would have all the experience needed to create an exact fit solution.

After I have it installed and post all of the pictures you will be able to judge better for yourself.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Thanks for working that out, look forward to the pics!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think the only way I'd put an Auxiliary Gas Tank where the spare tire is located is if I had a GetLost rear bumper or something equivalent. I could just imagine getting rear ended and causing mad choas.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i'll have pictures of the spare tire carrier i'm building huey. i should have it finished today. we are powder coating it for him as well.

this set up is similar to phunky's. but ours comes standard with CB antenna mount, jerry can mount, license plate bracket, and frame extensions to keep it stable and not bouncing around, there is also a receiver hitch. you can order it off-set to one side like huey wants or you can have it centered on the back.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
i'll have pictures of the spare tire carrier i'm building huey. i should have it finished today. we are powder coating it for him as well.

this set up is similar to phunky's. but ours comes standard with CB antenna mount, jerry can mount, license plate bracket, and frame extensions to keep it stable and not bouncing around, there is also a receiver hitch. you can order it off-set to one side like huey wants or you can have it centered on the back.
Copied this post to THIS THREAD. Please comment on Tire Carrier in linked thread and aux. gas tank in this thread. THX.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Wouldn't the tank be protected by the vehicle frame already? Also, don't be so sure that the dimensions and placement of holes and such are the same from vehicle to vehicle. I know there on some subtle, but important, body differences between the different models.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Wouldn't the tank be protected by the vehicle frame already? Also, don't be so sure that the dimensions and placement of holes and such are the same from vehicle to vehicle. I know there on some subtle, but important, body differences between the different models.
I would think so since the rear bumper is attached to the same cross member that the hitch and frame extensions are attached to. I wouldn't have any issues installing the tank since it'll have adequate protection.

Huey & Ross, let us know when the details are worked out and there's pricing available. Great job on this. :woot:

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Yeah, hurry, so we can get them installed before gas prices sky-rocket again!

·
Registered
807 Posts
didnt you get this installed yet?
is there a different thread for the install photos?

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am waiting on the rear tire carrier from Ross. The support brackets under the rear might be an issue when they install the second tank. I want to make sure so I am waiting for the carrier. I also have to go to Boulder for a few days so it might be next week before I have them do the install. They want it for a couple of days since it will be the prototype for a kit.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I am waiting on the rear tire carrier from Ross. The support brackets under the rear might be an issue when they install the second tank. I want to make sure so I am waiting for the carrier. I also have to go to Boulder for a few days so it might be next week before I have them do the install. They want it for a couple of days since it will be the prototype for a kit.
ok. just was courious to see. i thought in another thread you said you already had it done.good luck with it. hope it goes well.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

They are installing the tank next Wednesday and Thursday. I will either take pictures or have them take pictures of the install. They want it for two days to make sure of the fit and connections.

Film at eleven.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

They started this morning at about 7:30. They are sure that it will be at least a 25 gallon tank. I am staying at a Hotel nearby because they will take all day and part of tommorow. They will put together a kit for "outside California" that will be complete. I anticipate that Ross will be able to add this to his product line. I asked them to take pictures and left my camera with them. The tank will have a skid plate under it. It may run off both tanks until the back tank get to a lower level and then I can pump the back tank into the front tank. They will each have gas guages. With an additional blitz can on the back I should have close to 50 gallons of fuel for exploring the back country.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Looking forward to seeing it soon.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Can't wait, it'll be a great addition for the XK.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Pricing yet? Rough estimate?

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to let Ross respond to the pricing issue. Tomorrow we should know what the kit full of parts will cost and Ross can decide how to proceed. I am just the facilitator for getting this kit available. This is kind of like a "Black Stealth" project where it is being done. The owner does not want to admit to installing it for me. The Kit is not illegal or anything and he is installing it on an out of state car, (my Commander) from Vermont.

New Update: He just called and said it is going very easily, no problems. Because of the connections between the tanks he does not need to split the fuel inlet line. He says the rear tank will fill first and then it will continue the fill the front tank. He is mounting the gauge to the right of my right knee under the dash and the switch will go in the console.

The tank will have a full skid plate. He said that he has taken many pictures.

The plan right now is to fill it in the morning about 9:00 AM and see how much it holds.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Man you got me on pins and needles with this install. Excited to see the results.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts