>> 2006, BASE, 4.7L V8, QT-II, 30,000 miles and counting <<
So I've finally decided it's time to upgrade my lighting game! I've already purchased a bunch of switches from OTRATTW, a switch panel and hood mounts from Steel Armadillo, a BlueSea fuse panel, and I'm now waiting on lights and lights and some other additional parts. But I still have a couple of question the answers to which I couldn't find through a search... So here goes...
- From what I could gather, the 3.6L V6 and the 5.7L HEMI both have an unused passthrough grommet in the firewall, but the 4.7L V8 doesn't. This means I need to drill my own hole in the firewall and add my own grommet, right?
- If so, where would be the best/easiest location to drill said hole (preferably on the driver side)?
- I would like to mount the fuse panel in the engine bay for ease of adding lights/a winch in the future. Where's the best location to mount it?
- I've seen a lot of videos where people wire the switches for their lights directly to the battery. For the sake of preventing battery drain, I'd like to wire the switches/fuse box so that they only receive power after the ignition is switched. Is this possible and if so, where should I wire in the primary (input) positive leg?
- I've seen a few threads talking about the "Big 3 Upgrade". Is this advisable for adding a few LED lights and a winch (sometime in the future)?
- If so, I've seen several "big 3 upgrade kits" online, but they are only of XJs/WJs and wranglers, not XKs/WKs. Are there any kits out there for us or is DIYing the only option?
- If DIYing, what lengths/gauge of wire are recommended? I've seen some people say to use 2AWG, others, 0AWG...