Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
>> 2006, BASE, 4.7L V8, QT-II, 30,000 miles and counting <<
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've finally decided it's time to upgrade my lighting game! I've already purchased a bunch of switches from OTRATTW, a switch panel and hood mounts from Steel Armadillo, a BlueSea fuse panel, and I'm now waiting on lights and lights and some other additional parts. But I still have a couple of question the answers to which I couldn't find through a search... So here goes...
  1. From what I could gather, the 3.6L V6 and the 5.7L HEMI both have an unused passthrough grommet in the firewall, but the 4.7L V8 doesn't. This means I need to drill my own hole in the firewall and add my own grommet, right?
    1. If so, where would be the best/easiest location to drill said hole (preferably on the driver side)?
  2. I would like to mount the fuse panel in the engine bay for ease of adding lights/a winch in the future. Where's the best location to mount it?
  3. I've seen a lot of videos where people wire the switches for their lights directly to the battery. For the sake of preventing battery drain, I'd like to wire the switches/fuse box so that they only receive power after the ignition is switched. Is this possible and if so, where should I wire in the primary (input) positive leg?
  4. I've seen a few threads talking about the "Big 3 Upgrade". Is this advisable for adding a few LED lights and a winch (sometime in the future)?
    1. If so, I've seen several "big 3 upgrade kits" online, but they are only of XJs/WJs and wranglers, not XKs/WKs. Are there any kits out there for us or is DIYing the only option?
    2. If DIYing, what lengths/gauge of wire are recommended? I've seen some people say to use 2AWG, others, 0AWG...
That's all the question I currently have, but I'm sure more will pop into my head before/after I start... :p

Thanks-in-advance!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a good amount of space a couple of inches to the driver side from the throttle cable. And the throttle cable makes it easy to measure off of on both sides.

Both fuse boxes under the hood have nice easy big positive lugs to piggy back onto if you want. I haven't dug into it to see where there is a good sized switched circuit to tie into. I only run a single LED light bar up front so don't need much juice at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a good amount of space a couple of inches to the driver side from the throttle cable. And the throttle cable makes it easy to measure off of on both sides.

Both fuse boxes under the hood have nice easy big positive lugs to piggy back onto if you want. I haven't dug into it to see where there is a good sized switched circuit to tie into. I only run a single LED light bar up front so don't need much juice at all.
Thanks @morrisey0 ! those pics are super helpful!!!

·
Registered
2007 XK 4.7 QTII
7 Posts
A few months later but this is the relay box I installed behind the coolant reservoir, which required a bracket of some sort.
The 4.7 (2006-07) have an empty grommet on the passenger side where I wired the switches through, remove the glovebox, and pull it through the dashboard to the driver's side.
I used rocky roads 5 rocker switch.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few months later but this is the relay box I installed behind the coolant reservoir, which required a bracket of some sort.
The 4.7 (2006-07) have an empty grommet on the passenger side where I wired the switches through, remove the glovebox, and pull it through the dashboard to the driver's side.
I used rocky roads 5 rocker switch. View attachment 42728 View attachment 42729 View attachment 42730
Oh that's a great location and thanks for the heads up about the grommet too!
I was actually thinking of making a braket on the driver side around here, but you're solution is way cleaner!

Reactions: HyperionAlpha
1 - 6 of 6 Posts