Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but found no info.

I have the tow package but I have found that adding another cooler is always a good idea.

Has anyone on here added one to your XK that already has the tow package option?

09 Hemi, QT2

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I searched but found no info.

I have the tow package but I have found that adding another cooler is always a good idea.

Has anyone on here added one to your XK that already has the tow package option?

09 Hemi, QT2
If you have a HEMI with the tow package you do not need to add an extra cooler. It comes with a heavy duty transmission cooling system.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have a HEMI with the tow package you do not need to add an extra cooler. It comes with a heavy duty transmission cooling system.

Yes, I knew that it came with one but i wonder if its more than adequate or "just adequate". In my past experience even trucks equipped w/tow packages could still use a larger cooler. I want my XK to last a long time so I don't mind spending another $100 on a nice cooler to add to the factory one. I have searched the net and this site and really didn't find any answers.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Since you already have one - it is part of your tow package - I wouldn't waste your $. I'm sure the engineers figured what was necessary in order to rate the Commander as they did. Now, anyone who has added a OEM hitch, they are the ones who should be concerned because they will not have an aux. trans. cooler. :eek:rangehat:

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
do all xk hemi limited have transmission cooler?
I think they only have the heavy duty cooling if they have the tow package.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I think they only have the heavy duty cooling if they have the tow package.
This correct. It sits in front of the main radiator, bottom half. Tow package also adds a secondary electric cooling fan. Look inside the fan shroud. It is mounted to the shroud, and sits in front of the engine driven cooling fan. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I'll take your words of advice and leave well enough alone. I do think I'll add a tranny temp gauge to keep tabs on it though.

Now I just have to figure out where to mount a gauge and make it look good as well.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Okay, I'll take your words of advice and leave well enough alone. I do think I'll add a tranny temp gauge to keep tabs on it though.

Now I just have to figure out where to mount a gauge and make it look good as well.
Mount it in one of your dash vents - gauges look great mounted here. :eek:rangehat:

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Banned
246 Posts
This correct. It sits in front of the main radiator, bottom half. Tow package also adds a secondary electric cooling fan. Look inside the fan shroud. It is mounted to the shroud, and sits in front of the engine driven cooling fan. :eek:rangehat:
Where's the second fan at? I only have one (1) fan and its hydraulic on a 5.7 with towing package.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I have the second fan as stated, but I have an 06 4.7. The 4.7 and 5.7 share the same transmission, so I find it odd that the electric auxiliary fan is not included on the 5.7, even with its higher towing capacity. This does not compute! :icon_confused:

·
Banned
246 Posts
I have the second fan as stated, but I have an 06 4.7. The 4.7 and 5.7 share the same transmission, so I find it odd that the electric auxiliary fan is not included on the 5.7, even with its higher towing capacity. This does not compute! :icon_confused:
Apperently the 4.7l could not provide enough air flow with one fan. The Ram 1/2 and 3/4 ton with the Hemi and 545rfe transmission has the same setup, one fan.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
A guess, that makes sense to me, the hydrualic fan produces more air flow than two electric fans.

The more expensive hydrualic fan was needed for the bigger HEMI.

The cheaper electric would suffice for the 4.7L, but adding an auxilary cooler required adding an auxilary fan to meet the air flow. That was still cheaper than going with a hydrualic fan for the 4.7L.

Adding an auxilary cooler for the HEMI with the hydrualic fan, it was NOT necessary to add another fan, the single hydrualic fan had more than enough airflow for both.

Keep in mind, for $75 and a little work, you can add a transmission temp gauge, that will really tell you if you need more trans cooling or NOT. As well, it will warn you if you're going to hit a temp spike and avoid it, which could greatly increase the life of your trans.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The main fan on the 4.7 is driven by the serpentine belt. The second fan is electric and part of the trailer tow package. They are roughly the same size. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The main fan on the 4.7 is driven by the serpentine belt. The second fan is electric and part of the trailer tow package. They are roughly the same size. :eek:rangehat:
Ah, thanks, I was assuming an electric fan like the 3.7L V6.

Do you think its more a case of the HEMI is such a tight fit, they can't fit the belt driven fan, and have to go to the smaller but more expensive hydrulic fan because of room? I remember seeing a post on this before, it might have even been in response to my amazement that they went with all the complexity of a hydrualic driven fan in the HEMI Commander. The reply basically said that the hydrualic fan was the smallest fan that was powerful enough to do the job and fit in the cramped quarters of HEMI shoehorned in the engine compartment.

Electric and Hydraulic fans can be turned on and off by the computers. The belt driven fan can NOT and the only way to make them efficient is too use the hydraulic clutch that is controlled off air temp from the radiator.

So, I can see how an auxilary trans cooler may need extra air flow while at cruise when towing, but the overall heat flowing over the thermal switch on the hydrualic clutch is NOT enough to switch it over to increasing air flow. Thus, a computer switched auxilary electric fan.

The HEMI and V6, the main fan can be switched on and off by the computers. Thats easy to write software to switch it on just for the auxilary trans cooler when the computer monitors engine and trans temp.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The 3.7 V6 is basically the same engine as the 4.7, but with 2 less cylinders. Many of the parts are interchangeable. That being said, the 3.7 also has a engine fan driven by the serpentine belt. This is the set up I had in my 2003 Liberty Renegade, and every picture I have seen of the 3.7 shows it set up this way. If anyone has the 3.7 with the trailer towing package, does it add the secondary electric fan? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
314 Posts
The 3.7 V6 is basically the same engine as the 4.7, but with 2 less cylinders. Many of the parts are interchangeable. That being said, the 3.7 also has a engine fan driven by the serpentine belt. This is the set up I had in my 2003 Liberty Renegade, and every picture I have seen of the 3.7 shows it set up this way. If anyone has the 3.7 with the trailer towing package, does it add the secondary electric fan? :icon_confused:
I've owned a 04 Jeep Liberty Renegade. It had pretty much all options, but the towing package, which I added. The 3.7L V6 in those year Jeep Liberties had an electric fan as stock. The towing package cooling kit, was the addition of a new fan shroud and a viscous oil clutch engine mounted fan. That fan was not belt driven, it attached directly to the water pump.

My Jeep Commander with the 3.7L V6 without the towing package has the electric fan, and no engine mounted fan. Is there such a thing as a towing package for the 3.7L Commanders that can be added, if so I have not found one?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts