Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 30000 miles on my 4x4 V6 and am getting ready to change the axle differential fluid. I purchased Mobile 1 75W-140 synthetic (API-GL5). The manuel also says to use a friction modifier additive. When I went to my Jeep dealer to purchase this additive he told me that the Mobile 1 was all they used and that it already contained everything I needed and that I should not use the additive. I called the Dodge dealership and they said the same thing. I am confused because the manual says to use the friction additive. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just had my 15,000 mile front and rear axles serviced at the dealer and this is what is on the work order - 4 JBG-752 75W140 Gear Lube and 2 JBG-328 Additive not sure if that helps and I think they use BJ products so this may not help your question but thought I would at least offer.

·
Registered
564 Posts
This information is for the 2007, but I don't think there is mayor diference...

AXLE
NOTE: DaimlerChrysler recommends using Mopar® lubricants or lubricants of equal quality.

FRONT AXLE
200MM - Mopar® Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-140
REAR AXLE
213MM - Mopar® Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-140
NOTE: ELSD equipped axles require 118 ml (4 ounces) of Limited Slip Additive be added to the lubricant.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Open differentials do not require any special friction additive. Thats just for limited slips using clutch packs and helical gears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to another Jeep dealership and they looked it up on their computer. Acoording to the official Chrysler/Jeep site, I do need to use the friction additive. It cost $18.00 for 2 bottles. I figure it can't hurt to add it to the Mobile 1.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Hmmm that makes no sense to me what so ever. Why you would have to use friction additive if you have an open differential. Are the aware that you have a QT I and not QD II. Im going to cheak my manual and see what it says about my commander. Im sure it says the same as yours does though.

·
Registered
564 Posts
FLUID CAPACITIES

FRONT AXLE ± 0.3 L (2 oz.)

C200F 1.7 L (57.5 oz.)

C200FE 1.7 L (57.5 oz.)*

REAR AXLE ± 0.3 L (2 oz.)

C213R 2.07 L (70 oz.)

C213RE 2.24L (75.5 oz.)*

*ELSD, add 118 ml (4 oz.) of Friction Modifier.

-Nominal refill capacities shown. Variation may be observed from vehicle to vehicle due to manufacturing tolerance and fill procedure.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It definately looks like you only need to add the friction additive with the ELSD. The owners manual should have in there the differences between the axles with and the axles without the ELSD but it doesnt. Ill check the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
564 Posts
As I said before, that info is for the 2007, (just in case) and the stealer should tell you the same thing...

·
Registered
953 Posts
It was my impression that Mobil 1 already contained any friction modifiers that were needed for LSDs, or am I confusing that with AMSOil or Royal Purple?

I'd really like to have this cleared up since I have a 2007 Overland with the ELSD, and I'm at 15,000 miles, so it's time to replace the diff oil!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
lekmedm said:
It was my impression that Mobil 1 already contained any friction modifiers that were needed for LSDs, or am I confusing that with AMSOil or Royal Purple?

I'd really like to have this cleared up since I have a 2007 Overland with the ELSD, and I'm at 15,000 miles, so it's time to replace the diff oil!
I cant clarify that Mobil 1 has all the proper friction modifiers but you definately need to find an oil that does if the Mobile 1 doesnt since you have the ELSD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I looked at the Mobile 1 web site and they said it contains friction modifiers; however, it also said you can add friction modifiers. I then called Mobile 1 and talked to one of their techs and he said go ahead and add the modifier. He also said they get this call all the time. So I figure it can't hurt so I am going to add the friction modifier additive.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Ok i just got back from the jeep dealer and have some good info for you guys. Our Commanders (QT II) require 75W140 Synthetic fluid for the front and rear differential, which im sure all of you already know. And YES it does require friction additive, but only in the rear differential. This is because our Commanders (well i know for sure mine does) has a viscous coupler in the rear differential that requires the friction additive or else it will burn up. I was told that it has something to do with the commander having traction control or something like that. I was told to put a whole bottle of this friction additive in the rear differential prior to filling it up with fluid and then afterwards do a few figure 8's with the commander.

For you guys with QT I i would assume you also have the viscous coupler in the rear axle too.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Also when i went to the dealer today i was going to purchase the gear oil for the front and rear differential and they quoted me $40 per quart of 75W140 Synthetic gear oil. We need a total of 3 quarts. 1.5 for the front diff and 1.5 for the rear. The oil alone would have been $120 and then another $8.75 for the friction additive. I cant remember what brand it was but there was no way i was going to pay that. They also wanted $10 for a quart of 5W20 Mobile 1 engine oil. I decided to buy the friction additive and then went to Advanced and picked me up 3 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic gear oil at $13.93 a quart (included military discount) and 6 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic oil at $6 a quart. Dammm the dealer is expensive!

·
Registered
34 Posts
07JeepXK said:
Ok i just got back from the jeep dealer and have some good info for you guys. Our Commanders (QT II) require 75W140 Synthetic fluid for the front and rear differential, which im sure all of you already know. And YES it does require friction additive, but only in the rear differential. This is because our Commanders (well i know for sure mine does) has a viscous coupler in the rear differential that requires the friction additive or else it will burn up. I was told that it has something to do with the commander having traction control or something like that. I was told to put a whole bottle of this friction additive in the rear differential prior to filling it up with fluid and then afterwards do a few figure 8's with the commander.

For you guys with QT I i would assume you also have the viscous coupler in the rear axle too.
I went to the dealer and he said the exact same thing, additive needed for only the rear diff and he double checked this for me.

Was also told(from a shop not the dealer) that it doesn't need to be done every 15000miles every 35000miles would be suffcient unless a lot of off roading/towing is done.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yeah i really couldnt understand why the fluid would have to be replaced every 15,000 miles. That could get expensive. I know people with jeeps that never changed any fluids other then the oil and they have 200,000 miles plus and still running strong. I obviously wouldnt reccommend doing with the lifetime powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
there still seems to be no clear answer, especially from the dealership. i just went in to see if they had any information as i was about to do the front and rear diff on my 06 3.7 (QT1) and was told to put a 4oz bottle in the front and rear. i even looked on his screen and there was no delineation between QT1/2 or QD2 it just said add friction modifier. either way, i figured it couldn't hurt to add a little on top of the mobil 1 syn gear lube, and put about 3oz in the rear and 1oz in the front. its been two weeks and no problems...other than that the original question still remains

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
My glasses were dirty and I thought your post was "Ask a Different Question".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts