Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

What is the best way to remove the front axle nut on a 2006 Commander on the passenger side? I have a new hub coming in today and don't want to damage the CV shaft or the front differential in the replacement process. I've been told not to use impact tools to do this. Any other pointers appreciated.:icon_confused:

Paul

·
Registered
288 Posts
When I replaced mine all I did was jack the suspected side up, remove tire, brake caliper, rotor. Used a 35MM axle nut socket and removed the axle nut. Removed the 3 bolts holding the hub to the knuckle and removed the hub. Hub slides off the splines of the half shaft/cv axle pretty easy. Reassembled and torqued the axle nut to 100 ftlbs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with your steps but it might dpeend on the year of truck for how easily the hub slides off. Mine is a 06 and I changed both front hubs this weekend. Once I bought a BFH I had no problems...removing the hubs.

Good luck
Marc

When I replaced mine all I did was jack the suspected side up, remove tire, brake caliper, rotor. Used a 35MM axle nut socket and removed the axle nut. Removed the 3 bolts holding the hub to the knuckle and removed the hub. Hub slides off the splines of the half shaft/cv axle pretty easy. Reassembled and torqued the axle nut to 100 ftlbs.

·
Banned
389 Posts
Bfh?

I agree with your steps but it might dpeend on the year of truck for how easily the hub slides off. Mine is a 06 and I changed both front hubs this weekend. Once I bought a BFH I had no problems...removing the hubs.

Good luck
Marc
I remember my Vo-Tech school auto tech teacher referring to the mythical beast known as a "BFH"....this was a long time ago, and he was pretty old school, I have wondered if that highly technical term still applied these days...glad to see other people still using it! That is if I am assuming that BFH stand for what I think it does...??? (Big [email protected]!*#%# Hammer)??? :rofl:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Haven't done it on the Commander, on other vehicles, I was able to loosen the nut while the brakes where still installed. And if that is the case for the Commander, I would recommend you try this before pulling the brake. Tighten down a couple of lug nuts over the rotor to hold it tight, have a helper stand on the brakes as you loosen it.

Most DIY'er if they even have air impact wrenches, they are cheapo low power ones, my air impact wrench sometimes can't get all my lug nuts off. So I wouldn't rely on it being able to break loose an axle nut.

As well, if the other three wheels are on the ground, the drivetrain will NOT let the one wheel in the air turn, and the force needed to loosen the nut is NOT even close to the force typically transmitted through the drivetrain.

'BFH', well technically your suppose to use a special tool that is the reverse of a puller. To be honest, I have used a 'BFH' as well and never had a problem. Usually the axle threads don't start till a bit down the shaft, so you won't damage the threads, if NOT, put the nut over the threads so that its flush with the flat surface of the axle end before striking, that will protect the threads.

I have put a dab of anti-sieze on the splines before putting the axle back together with the hub. The next time I did the job, the axle popped right out with a tap from a rubber mallet. Don't use too much, if its all over it will sling into the brakes or worse the sensor for the anti-lock brakes and that could cause all sorts of problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts