Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just replaced the passenger side rear wheel hub. I've never done this before. When pulling the hub off the axle shaft came out partway. I put it back in and finished my reassembly. My next job was to change my differential oil. Pulled the cover off and saw that it might be pushed into the differential just a bit too far. Should I put the axle shaft into the hub first then push in and assemble? It looks like it rubbing on the gold piece in the center there. (sorry dont know the name of it). I just dont want future problems to come from today's fix. Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
15,357 Posts
@Wonlegged I don't have an answer for your question, but it is definitely further in than the other one. I would say it is too far in. I wouldn't drive it that way.

Reactions: Wonlegged

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive pulled the axle shaft right out this time. Hopefully, it goes easier this round. Full cleaning and post results tomorrow.

Reactions: jeep5253

·
Administrator
15,357 Posts
Ive pulled the axle shaft right out this time. Hopefully, it goes easier this round. Full cleaning and post results tomorrow.
@Wonlegged The good news is the inside looks great. No sign of damage to the gears. How many miles on the clock? Be sure to use the correct fluid when refilling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Wonlegged The good news is the inside looks great. No sign of damage to the gears. How many miles on the clock? Be sure to use the correct fluid when refilling.

Thanks ya looks good for being full of mud and small rocks lol . It will be about 145,000 miles if Im converting the km right. I hope they sold me the right oil. Lucas 75W-90??

·
Administrator
15,357 Posts
Thanks ya looks good for being full of mud and small rocks lol . It will be about 145,000 miles if Im converting the km right. I hope they sold me the right oil. Lucas 75W-90??
@Wonlegged That is not the correct fluid. This is from the Owner's Manual, which is always a good idea to consult. And you HAVE to add the friction modifier!

Reactions: Wonlegged

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im readin
@Wonlegged That is not the correct fluid. This is from the Owner's Manual, which is always a good idea to consult. And you HAVE to add the friction modifier!

View attachment 41435
Great nice catch. be returning that in the am.

Reactions: jeep5253

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know where i could find torque specs on my Jeep 06 4.7??
Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
15,357 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
There should be a retaining clip on the end of the axle shaft thats inserted to prevent it from inserting to far. The torque is around 175lbs...although I did not use a torque wrench, at that poundage, I used a 1/2 in breaker bar and Tightened it down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts