Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all model year BA amplifiers compatible? If I get a 2008-2010 BA amp will it plug and play in my 2006. I have the mygig 2009 and the left speakers keep cutting out some think its the amp. So I want to change it out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
if your left speakers are cutting out then it's probably not your amp. amps just boost the power signals. have you ever taken the door panels off? taken the head unit out? removed the amp?
doing any of these will cause a lose wire.
do they turn on normally? do they like cut off when you hit a higher volume or what?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I had something like that with another vehicle, with aftermarket speakers and stereo. No seperate amp, just the amp in the head unit. My first guess was a bad amp in the head unit as well. I swapped back in the leftover OEM parts to trouble shoot, including other OEM head units I had laying around the garage and it would act differently, but NEVER work correctly.

The aftermarket head unit would cut in and out and stay off for 20-30 minutes a time for all speakers, one OEM head unit would produce sound in the rear speakers, BUT NOT the front, the other OEM head unit would produce sound in the right speakers, BUT NOT the left.

It ended up being a blown speaker, at the left front, I guess different amps will react differently to a blown speaker.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I was just seeing if any one knew if I could plug and play a newer stock amp. I have posted my problem with the speakers here http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14168 . I didn't mean to start multiple threads on the same subject. I should have left out the speaker issue in this thread. Sorry again. thanks,

·
Registered
8 Posts
so what ended up happening?? I have an 06 commander and only the front dash speakers work..someone told me to add an aftermarket amp and redo all the wires to the front speakers for power ..... not sure if i should just find and amp to replace the BA amp. if i can even find one....HAHA any suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think they are. The CAN bus for the HU is different in 06-07 than 08. The lockpick adapter from my understanding adapts the mygig to the 06-07 CAN bus. So If you go with an 08 or newer factory amp I don't think it will work because all of the other components are on a different CAN bus protocol. Do you have a part number for the new amp you want to install?

·
Registered
8 Posts
well i just changed to a 1200 watt amp and new speakers....no more popping...but now they stated that the voice for the navi cant be heard?? anyone know how to connect the voice for navi on after market speaker and amp..our stock amp was bad, but it worked for the front speakers and voice nav..when they removed the old factory amp the voice stopped working.....HELP

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure how to fix your problem. but I have a stock amp that I got off ebay. Its for a 05-09 Grand Cherokee BA 6 speaker 285 watt. I never put it in so not sure it will work. Ill ship it to you if it works send me a check for $50. If it doesn't just send it back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for that..im not sure if we want to buy another one right now..but you never know i need to get from you...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts