Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. I have read thru many threads on here regarding speaker upgrades. I have the '07 BA 275w system. I am aware of the 2ohm requirement. So here are some of my questions:

What I haven't seen is what WATTs RMS I should look for? Different for the 3.5s as opposed to the 6x9s?

I like the infinity line....so "kappa" or "reference"? I was leaning toward "reference".

Due to $ constraints, I was just planning on the front 4 for now...dash and door 6x9s. Good? Bad? Do all 6?

Are there photos somehwere on here for removal of the front door panels? I imagine it can't be too difficult.

I was just planning on 2way for the 6x9s...I've seen some 3way but don't think I need it...plus I think the BA amp sends mostly bass to the 6x9s if I've read other threads correctly.

And for the new speakers...is it pretty much just plug-n-play or will I need to alter the connections a little?

Future project: Sub. If you're standing at the tailgate facing forward, gate open, 3rd row folded down....on the right side panel there is some available 'realestate' to put an 8" or 10" sub. I don't know whats behind it. I do have the rear a/c but the ducts are forward of this area. Anyone try or know if that is possible. Is there enough room/depth to drop a sub in there? I don't have the free time right now to pull that thing apart and look.

Thanks guys.....

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
That "available real estate" on the right side houses the rear AC/heater coils, fan unit, controls, and additional duct work as its a complete system, not just fan forced air from the front.

You might want to consider the MOPAR Kicker speakers. They're a direct replacement for the BAs, and they sound much better. Plus you don't have to hack up your interior to install them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured there was a good reason noone has put a sub there.

from what I've read, I think the infinity speakers are 'liked' more than the mopar upgrades.

but the remaining questions still stand for anyone else who has some insight....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I installed the Infinity Reference 3.5s up front. The wiring adapters I bought were not the correct ones, so I found a wiring diagram and spliced the speakers in myself.

There is a noticeable difference in mid/high clarity to my ears. I've considered replacing the 6x9s, but I think I'm going to do the rear doors with the shallow Infinity 6.5s next.

This .pdf file will show you how to remove the panels to get at all of the speakers.

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/77KICK11.pdf

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet. Thanks Oxy. Any heads ups on the connectors? Something I can get at radio shack?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The problem I had with the connectors is that I ordered the ones listed on the Metra website for my 2006 Commander with the BA system, part # 72-6514 . The shape was correct but the size was not. I believe I saw on another website that the '06 Commander with BA used a Mazda-type connector, but instead of rolling the dice I cut off the factory connector and spliced in some female quick slide connectors I had hanging around from a set of Kenwoods or MB Quarts - I don't really recall which speaker box I pulled them out of, but they are 'standard' sizes so I'm sure you could find them at any local car audio place or even Radio Shack.

Looks like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120FQS10PK/Metra-Female-Quick-Slides.html

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what is the wattage distribution for the BA system? Is it about 45W per speaker? Or something different?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts