Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 3.7 with the factory back up camera. I wanted to know if its possible to connect the factory back up camera to a after market head unit. Like a adapter from the factory wiring to composite video connector.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've tackled a new head unit, overhead monitor, front and rear DVR and backup cameras lately also.

The short answer is that while you should theoretically be able to connect it directly, you are butting in with CANBUS, which can completely go to pieces if something is not connected the way that it expects.

This sounds like a bitter pill to swallow, but trust me here. You will have much fewer headaches and save ten tonnes of time if, rather than haranguing over wiring diagrams and testing leads, you just cowboy up and run new wires through the liftgate and interior trim to your new head unit. You will only want to destroy your car if you try this any other way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HyperionAlpha are you saying I should just use a new camera? And run the wire to the new head unit?

·
Administrator
6,824 Posts
I have a 2008 3.7 with the factory back up camera. I wanted to know if its possible to connect the factory back up camera to a after market head unit. Like a adapter from the factory wiring to composite video connector.
@dirtnastynate;

Welcome to the forum;

Please read the New Member Required Reading below & complete your user profile as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules;

Thanks & again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
HyperionAlpha are you saying I should just use a new camera? And run the wire to the new head unit?
Short of having all of the resources and information of the manufacturer, yes. That is the quickest, easiest way to get what you want. In fact, even if you do have all the manuals and dealership info it will still be easier and faster to just run a new wire and use a new camera. I tried doing what you are suggesting and abandoned the idea quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HyperionAlpha

Yeah thats what did. Already had to run rca wires to the back for the new amp so whats one more wire. Only reason a wanted to keep stock is because I thought it looked better. New camera came out looking pretty good though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts