Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This ****... What I have now is what I'm looking to get in an aftermarket wheel. I have factory XK 17" wheels and 1.5" hub centric spacers on 265 / 70 / 17 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. I want to know the 17" wheel size that will sit exactly like the factory wheel with spacer added. I have read about backspacing and I'm more confused than I was with no knowledge at all about it, ha!

What wheel size / backspacing is needed to get the exact same stance as the factory wheel with 1.5" spacers?

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I'm running those tires with a 4.75" backspace and had very minor rubbing. I did the pinch weld mod just to be safe. More importantly, WHY would you want to add spacers, then find a wheel with backspacing to return the wheel to where it was without the spacer??? That makes no sense...unless I'm totally missing something here.

<BREAK BREAK BREAK>

Edit:
Wups, sorry...I misread your post. The answer is simple. Stock wheel backspacing plus the spacer = backspace on aftermarket wheel. I apologize for my misunderstanding your post. I bow my head in shame. ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you get the right aftermarket wheels, with the right offset you won't need the spacers.
This. I'm looking for a 17" wheel size that will allow me to eliminate the hub spacers and the tires will stick right out to the edge of the fender. Basically, I'm trying to figure out the width of the wheel and backspacing needed to eliminate the need for the spacers on the hub and will still stand beefy enough that the tires run out to the edge or just a tad outside the edge of the fender flare.

I'm sure a wheel dealer can answer the question, but figured the best place to start was here hoping someone has done the same thing I'm trying to do.

2.25" lift

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running those tires with a 4.75" backspace and had very minor rubbing. I did the pinch weld mod just to be safe. More importantly, WHY would you want to add spacers, then find a wheel with backspacing to return the wheel to where it was without the spacer??? That makes no sense...unless I'm totally missing something here.

<BREAK BREAK BREAK>

Edit:
Wups, sorry...I misread your post. The answer is simple. Stock wheel backspacing plus the spacer = backspace on aftermarket wheel. I apologize for my misunderstanding your post. I bow my head in shame. ;)
What is the stock backspacing on the XK wheels? Just add that number and the 1.5" of spacer I have and that's the backspacing I need? What if the aftermarket wheel is wider than the factory wheel? **** math.... HAHA!!:grin2:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Backspacing is measured from the back lip of a wheel to the mounting surface, so the width of the wheel doesn't matter. The XK has a stock backspacing of 6", so the backspacing with a 1.5" spacer is 4.5".

·
Registered
488 Posts
Width and backspacing are independent of each other. I didn't mean to say that they won't have an effect on how the wheel looks, but 4.5" backspacing is the same regardless.

The primary point of backspacing on an XK, so I understand, is to clear the upper ball joint on the front end, which any wheel with 4.5" of backspacing will do.

Width is a completely different story, as a 9" rim with 4.5" of backspacing will have 1.5" more in front of the hub than a 7" rim, but the same 4.5" of wheel behind the hub.

Reactions: luckyse7ens

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
That is the primary issue with reduced backspacing. To clear that tire you could get away with 5.75" backspacing. The secondary reason for reduced backspacing (primary for some) is to push the outside lip of the rim outwards giving a wider stance and more aggressive look. To some extent this can increase stability particularly at increased ride heights. Additionally the further out you go the more likely that you are to have to trim the inner fender wells because it inherently increases the arc of the wheel when turning. I did a poor job of explaining myself previously but this is what I meant by half right. I definitely could have worded it better. Yes as fair as the inner lip related to the hub 4.5" backspacing is 4.5" backspacing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts