Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XK: 5.7L limited, QDII.

Took it to a Valvoline "Express Care" to get diffential fluid and oil changed. They told me that their 75w-140 gear oil already had friction modifier additive IN it.

From what I've been reading, this is incorrect. 1300 miles later, am I screwed? Car seems to drive fine, though I've been noticing more "road noise" on the highway, which, until now, I was attributing to new tires (that I had installed at the same time)-- now I'm thinking this noise is caused by the differentials lacking the friction modifier additive.

Total noob move. :(

·
Registered
862 Posts
I doubt the stuff is in it, but you never know. Go back to the place, demand to see a bottle of the stuff, and read the label. If it isn't in it, they owe you a diff rebuild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt the stuff is in it, but you never know. Go back to the place, demand to see a bottle of the stuff, and read the label. If it isn't in it, they owe you a diff rebuild.
Errr. Maybe I'm over-reacting here. Here's the product info for the gear oil:
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/SynPower_Gear_Oils.pdf

"The addition of a supplemental friction modifier(Ford M2C-118-A, Chrysler MS-5630, or GM 1052358) is not required."

·
Registered
862 Posts
Well... whadda know. I'll have to get that next time instead of paying the dealer thru the nose for special little bottles of (grossly overpriced) Mopar stuff.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
You can get friction modifiers (limited slip additive) from parts stores for like $5. If your not sure, put another tube in with the gear oil.

On a side note, make sure the Valvoline store you went to actually uses Valvoline gear oil. Sounds funny, but I went through this with a Pennzoil lube that wasn't using Pennzoil products. Just because the sign says Valvoline, does not mean they always use Valvoline products. Be an informed consumer and ask, then ask again. Most of the time, their oils are bulk, so ask if they have gear oil in a sealed quart bottle (or something of the same) that they can put in to be sure.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Please title threads with subject matter, future threads started like this one was will be deleted and you can start over.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I don't use instant oil change places. I buy my own oil and have the dealer put it in with a mopar filter. As for tranny and 4x4 service ,I'd rather have the dealer do it then I know it is done right with the right products.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Please title threads with subject matter, future threads started like this one was will be deleted and you can start over.
Exactly what I was talking about in another thread, the guy only has four posts and you're already busting his balls. Is that the original title or did you change it?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Exactly what I was talking about in another thread, the guy only has four posts and you're already busting his balls. Is that the original title or did you change it?
Not sure what you are referring to about your other thread, but...

The original title to this thread was "Son of a..." which tells us nothing about the tread and is inappropriate, So as Mod I will do my job and if you do not like it then send me a PM but do not post comments like this in the threads. :thanks:

·
Registered
378 Posts
It the axles don't make any noise when doing figure 8 turns, you're probably ok, but if it does make noise then you'll probably want to get some friction modifier from the dealership, not the auto parts store.

·
Registered
282 Posts
that wasnt on their site over the summer. they must have updated. its all wheel drive and youre going to have a little noise.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Leaving out the friction modifier Will not cause any permanent damage, but will cause chattering during tight turns and can accelerate wear of the differentials. .. I use and recommend Amsoil products and they have a separate friction modifier available.

It's called Slip Lock Gear Oil Additive

1 - 12 of 12 Posts