Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fell-us,
Wanted to check something with you guys, My CMDR just hit 11k, and my front rotors are jacked. I called our friendly "stealership" and they said exactly what I expected, wear & tear. Sorry, I went through the roof, and have an appoitment on Monday. Have any of you guys had this happen. To me bad design or faulty rotor. Wear & Tear my @$$....love the site!!!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but it sounds to me that you had faulty rotors to begin with. Unless you rode the brakes pretty hard, I never had to replace rotors on any of my jeeps until around 60K or so. ( usually turning or smoothing them fixes the problems) Hey look on the bright side, you can replace them with some cross drilled rotors.

good luck

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The dealer replaced the front rotors under warranty in 3500 miles due to rough breaking.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
There was another member in here that had the same problem and ended up replacing them himself. I think it might have been RedCommander.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My wife's is in the shop as I type this, getting the rotors resurfaced, and some new tires.

The pads were fine, but it was just really grabby when braking.... grabby and uneven.

$90 an axle for the rotor work. Worse than if jeep would have paid, but not a bad price to just have it done and over with.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I am about to take mine in for the front brakes. I hope I don't need rotors!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
CrzCajun said:
There was another member in here that had the same problem and ended up replacing them himself. I think it might have been RedCommander.
Yep, twas me. Had a little pedal pulse (no steering wheel vibration) when stopping so I had the rotors turned. Turned out they were so far off I needed to replace them. Autozone was the best price I found on replacements.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have 25k miles and lately been having serious braking vibrations, particularly at speeds above 60. You can actually hear it - almost sounds like going over small rumble-strips. And it causes a racket for whatever loose junk is in my dash console. I took it to the dealer last month and he said it was normal and so slight that it wasn't worth fixing. My bill states "could not replicate problem." But after driving a 500 miles this weekend, I'm ready to take it back and insist they fix or replace the rotors. Does anyone know if there is a TSB on this issue?

·
Registered
9 Posts
tsb on jeep rotors being crap? yes there is, but in this case it stands for 'The Same ol' Bull****'

this is your first jeep?

·
Registered
120 Posts
My front and rears were both warped at 35k. i replaced them with Stillen drilled rotors and pads. only about 300 miles on them, but so far so good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok. 25k on my 06 Commander. Pulsing and vibrating every nearly everytime I used the brakes (think about it--when do you not use the brakes? When driving through the dealer's front window . . ).

In any event, I mentioned it to the dealer in March at about 20k miles and in their infinite and infallible wisdome they said it's not a problem. Personal preference. Brakes are working fine. So I let it ride a few more months and then I couldn't stand it anymore. Call me crazy, but I like to drive in a Jeep that feels like it isn't broken.

Went to Firestone and had them work on the brakes. They turned all four. They tried the front two first and added new pads. That didn't quite solve it. So they did the back and sanded the pads in the back. Seems fine now. Cost about 350 by the time all was said and done.

A "hard braking incident" may be the cause for them being warped.

I've only had to jam the brakes so hard the ABS came on 1 or 2 times since I've had the ar. I don't think that would warp all four, would it? I find that a little hard to believe.

Of course, gas was 2.49 when I bought the Jeep. No way it could go up any higher . . . . So maybe I'm wrong about how rotors can get warped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had my rotors machined at about 16k (I do mostly highway), had pulsing and uneven braking. Dealership told me not to worry about it that it was just a "comfort" factor and not to worry about it, I took it to a different dealer and they machined them and had no problems after that. At 58K I had the pads replaced with Mopar Value line brakes by the dealer that did the rotors. They checked the rotors when they replaced the pads and said they were absolutely fine and I didn't need new ones.
I have noticed since the new pads were put on an incredible amount of brake dust on the front and rears (if i dont wash it every week the front wheels turn completely black). They have been on the truck for about 10k now. The other thing I have noticed since the new pads were put on is a squealing sound coming from the rear brakes when I stop (usually around 25mph and below) and driving through parking lots and I stop (Its not the brake squealers when the pads wear down). I addressed it with the dealer and they told me its probably the old rotors have hot spots in them. The service manager told me that Chryslers have terrible brakes and are known to be noisy and wear quickly especially on a 6400lb truck (they are a Dodge and GMC dealership) Believe it or not the Mopar brakes were cheaper than Autozone and aftermarket brake pads.
FYI there was a recall on earlier model 1998-2002 or so Grandcherokee from a class action lawsuit in which Chrysler agreed to replace brake pads after they lost the case from owners.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I'm getting new pads installed tomorrow, the mechanic tells me that the rotors can not be turned. Is this true? I'm not taking it to dealership. Mechanic has not seen my truck yet, but states those type rotors can not be turned. little help please!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
thanks I was reading that, what happened to honesty? That guy flat out said that those type rotors could not be turned. Is it difficult doing it your self? I have floor jack, sockets and c-clamps to squeeze in calipiers.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
You can take your brake rotors to an auto shop like Pep Boys to be turned and then you can do the rest of the job at home, it is not to difficult.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I'm getting new pads installed tomorrow, the mechanic tells me that the rotors can not be turned. Is this true? I'm not taking it to dealership. Mechanic has not seen my truck yet, but states those type rotors can not be turned. little help please!
As a mechanic......I just go crazy inside when I hear of another 'mechanic' taking this stance.
'They can't be cut' is his opinion.
Huey, you were in the military and I know you know what 'can't' really means.
To those who don't know....Can't means, I won't.
Sorry for strong language but I wouldn't let this [removed] near anything mechanical including my lawn mower.
Tell me and show me (with calipers) that the rotor is too thin to cut.
Show me the minimum thickness measurement cast into the rotor. Then and only then tell me why these rotors are no longer serviceable.
But, do not say "can't".

OK,
I'll go catch my breath now,

Rob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts