Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Love the video!

You went with 5100s all around? I'm being told by Kolak to do 4600s in front and 5100s in rear with OME HD.
Yeah, I'm still a little unsure of the direction I want to go. The benefit of the 5100's up front is you can adjust them to go a little higher in the future, should you choose, and only change out a few other bits. I currently like my setup but would eventually like to go to 33's, which can't be done in this particular setup.

I actually went with 5100's all around with MD springs up front and HD springs in the back. I heard about the rear tilt from other users and figured this was the way to go. So far...so good!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You should do 4600s up front. 5100s are meant to lift the front by 3/4" up to 2", so combined with a lift you'll end up sitting way too high. There are instances where 5100s work up front, specifically if you end up with a rake even after your lift, but as a general rule they'll put you too high. 5100s in the rear are perfect since they're long enough for the extra travel of a lift.
Yeah, I haven't had any issues..yet. lol

I have MD springs up front and HD in the back. So far, the combination is working out fairly well. I'm thinking of putting the fronts all the way up and doing a modified spacer lift in the back....but that's more time and skills I don't really have.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So about my spark plugs..

I'm still waiting for my champion spark plugs to arrive so I decided to recheck the AutoLite plugs that were causing issues.

Minus how dirty the chambers were, it was interesting to find significant signs of ignition on the plugs; some were worse than others. This is only after having them in a week and 1 very short drive.

I removed all of them and gapped them to .042, which is slightly higher than the OEM .040 and...it worked. Not sure why or how but I put them back in, had the scanner plugged in, started the car, and nothing! The only thing that came on was the P0113 code for the IAT...which I realized I didn't plug back in after I put everything back together. Removed the battery cable, plugged the IAT back in, and waited a few minutes. Once everything was good, turned the car on and everything was fine.

Now all that work is done, gonna do it again once the champs arrive lol

I had been wondering about the coil packs on this as I noticed each pack had a designated Letter/Number combo. I paid absolutely ZERO attention to the order I took them out and was worried they had a specific place...but they don't appear to. See photos for reference.

·
Super Moderator
5,769 Posts
LOVE...and sort of hate...it! SUPER simple to open and close and it is extremely roomy!

Down sides: the mattress is pretty terrible and the "thermal" insulation isn't that warm. Many people upgrade their mattress to the Exped MegaMats and use those little propane heaters in the tent. From my couple nights in there, when I was freezing, my back had a terrible time. BUT, hopefully that will change once I upgrade the mattress. Oh, and you can't leave anything up there when you close it...like your bedding. All that stuff has to come out, which is a huge bummer.
I gotcha, thanks for sharing your experience with it.

I have kicked around the idea of a rooftop tent for a few years now, but ultimately, when I'm camping I like the idea of being able to get into my XK at a moments notice and driving off if I want to go scouting - or if I need to drive into town after a few days in the bush to grab some supplies, food, ice or what have you (not so easy to do if your tent is on the roof of your XK) so that has always, ultimately, deterred me from getting one.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I gotcha, thanks for sharing your experience with it.

I have kicked around the idea of a rooftop tent for a few years now, but ultimately, when I'm camping I like the idea of being able to get into my XK at a moments notice and driving off if I want to go scouting - or if I need to drive into town after a few days in the bush to grab some supplies, food, ice or what have you (not so easy to do if your tent is on the roof of your XK) so, that has always ultimately deterred me from getting one.
Yeah. I'm trying to get my family out camping more and my wife's 1 requirement was NOT sleeping on the ground lol. This is a great solution. This particular tent sets up in a minute or so and packs up in about 5, which isn't bad at all. The ONLY bad thing is you can't leave bedding up there or else it won't close. Super annoying but oh well.

·
Super Moderator
5,769 Posts
Yeah. I'm trying to get my family out camping more and my wife's 1 requirement was NOT sleeping on the ground lol. This is a great solution. This particular tent sets up in a minute or so and packs up in about 5, which isn't bad at all. The ONLY bad thing is you can't leave bedding up there or else it won't close. Super annoying but oh well.
Happy wife, happy life.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Upper control arms

Like the upper control arms. Does the ball joint swivel more than stock? I have not raised my commander because I think the resulting angle of the stock ball joint is extreme.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts