Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went to my local meineke wherewe they do custom work and they said they cannot do a dual exhaust out of the muffler (single inlet dual outlet) unless you have a lift. they cant fit two pipes over whatever they have to fo over unless you are up. So this means i am gettin my lift first, but that makes me ask another question, is there a lift that doesnt level off the xk and keeps it looking mean??
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,914 Posts
curleycommander said:
So i went to my local meineke wherewe they do custom work and they said they cannot do a dual exhaust out of the muffler (single inlet dual outlet) unless you have a lift. they cant fit two pipes over whatever they have to fo over unless you are up. So this means i am gettin my lift first, but that makes me ask another question, is there a lift that doesnt level off the xk and keeps it looking mean??
This one is not lifted and has dual exhaust.

 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,914 Posts
Here is another one that is not lifted.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
Duals would be nice...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,797 Posts
Those could be just a pipe that Y's by the rear axle with the spare removed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
I asked for dual, too. They said it couldn't be done because of the position of the gas tank..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
AKFossil said:
Those could be just a pipe that Y's by the rear axle with the spare removed.
The red Commander still has it's spare tire in place. You can see it if you look closely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeha guys, those are just Y's. They said that wouldn't be a problem. But I was looking for either true duals or a single inlet dual outlet setup that apparently cannot be done unless lifted, and they still weren't sure but "thought" they could do it if lifted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,562 Posts
Single inlet, dual outlet is just a Y. What are you defining as "just a Y" and how is it different than what you're wanting other than the location of the Y?

You do know that going to dual exhaust would not be a performance mod, just for the sound, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a Y is one pipe in the muffler and one out over the rear axle as it is now and then the one pipe Splits "Y" out to two outlets. Unfortunately mostly for looks as they cant do true dual but chopping off the ole Coffin and resonator will help some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
How about doing the lift first? 300 bones for a kit and if you are a moderately skilled DIY'er it will take all of a Saturday, at no additional installation cost. Then your shop could do your y-pipe later. Problem solved. Thank you :D (smarta**y answer, I know)
To answer your second question - I can only speak for the RR kit, as I used to have it. It does level it a bit more than stock, but it still has somewhat of a rake to it. Not totally level. But more level than stock.
If you wanted to increase the rake, you could have any local machine shop fab you up a couple of steel or aluminum "rings" to add to the rear spacers at any thickness you decide you need to give it that "mean look" the rear. spacers are approx 5.25" O.D. and 4" I.D. A ring made that size at, say, 1/2 inch thick would fit neatly above or below the lift kit's spacer and give you an additional 1/2 lift in the rear and therefore, an aditional 1/2 of "rake".
Personally, I would prefer level, but if this is what you want there is one way to go about it.
-Hemi
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,914 Posts
curleycommander said:
Yeha guys, those are just Y's. They said that wouldn't be a problem. But I was looking for either true duals or a single inlet dual outlet setup that apparently cannot be done unless lifted, and they still weren't sure but "thought" they could do it if lifted.
How do you know they are y's ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good call Hemi. Where the hell do I find a machine shop to fab those? I'm in the booming metropolis of Delaware...... What would something like that be under in the phone book? Machine shop?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What Dual Kit?????
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top