Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Looks nice only $380 too! .... 48" X 68" is pretty big too ... my wife has the Commander today ... or I'd go out and measure .. ayone know the distance from the edge of the sunroof to the edge of the hatch back when it's open?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just ordered the black widow one, $130 shipped. Not as big but they make a 20" extension for another $50 i'm gonna order in a few weeks when they are back in stock. I'll post pics later when it gets in.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Cool posts pics when you get it!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The site is working OK ... I think you need Flash Player 10 to view it though .. maybe that's the problem?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at the megawarrior from Yakima. Too much money. The rack is 435,the extension is another 125,then add shipping. Then add any brackets for lights or whatever, I dont know if I can find something comparable for less money. Sometimes you pay more just for a "name". Still shopping.....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Baja Rack - Updated W/ Pics

Got my new rack today. It's a Baja Rack Mega Mule. Very nice. Excellant construction. Its all steel , very nice welds and powder coated finish. It has very easy and secure mounts. Cost is $380.00 plus shipping , comes with mounts and a elastic cargo net. I think it fits the Commander's size perfectly. Check it out at Bajarack.com

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
That rack looks nice up there. The size is perfect.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have been emailing back anf forth with Sergio at Baja Rack, he is now working out a deal with some supplier in Canada to become a distributor of the racks.

Nothing concrete yet but Sergio seemed confident there will be a Canadian distributor soon.

I really want to get this exact Mega Mule rack for my Commander ... Smitty what do you think? .. would it work ok to tie down small quatities of lumber up there?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really want to get this exact Mega Mule rack for my Commander ... Smitty what do you think? .. would it work ok to tie down small quatities of lumber up there?

I think you could easily put some small length boards on there. The only problem with lumber that is longer than the rack would be in movement to the sides, but you could just strap it down super tight. The rack is rated for 300 lbs. but I am thinking about adding another crossbar in between the other two, maybe will support weight even better. 49er does this I think. I can find plenty of stuff to carry up there. We go to the beach and the back is full of luggage, and my receiver rack is full with the cooler and beach chairs. I got new chairs and umbrella last summer, so I will have to re-do my packing this time.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Good one I'll keep an eye out for a third cross bar ... when we have 6 passengers on board there's no room for anything inside ...

I'm thinking of making a storage box for some off road stuff that I can carry either in the back on top of the folded down third row seats OR empty it and move the box up on the rack .. then fill it back up again.

With the lumber maybe I could come up with some flip up side bars of some kind to keep the lumber from sliding side to side ... in town is no problem I just put it inside ... keep the back glass open and let the lumber stick out .. but any distance on gravle roads is too dusty (or too hot or too cold depending on the season :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looks awesome! That is one of the accessories I would like to get for my Commander as well. I haven't checked out the website yet but I'm assuming you can get some lights to add to the rack as well?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts